PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Winfield's column

The_Philster
09-28-2002, 03:21 PM
If anyone else gets Shout! newspaper like myself, then you've been reading a player diary from Antoine Winfield ever since his rookie season. It used to be a rookie diary of players...I remember reading the player diary of Jeff Burris when I first started getting the newspaper. It's great stuff reading about the player's thoughts about upcoming and previous games and stuff.

new story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/theinsiders/20020927/citadel-2_66635_24.html)
here's an excerpt from his next column in the Raiders game issue of Shout!

One of the things I wish the NFL would do is allow a little more contact between the defensive back and the receiver. It's getting ridiculous. It's really tough to match up and guard a receiver one-on-one in this league - no matter who it is. We pass up our opportunities to do things because if we touch a guy after five yards, it's a flag - automatic. It's really tough on a defensive back right now. We saw that in the Denver game. Even I had an illegal contact penalty.

It's especially tough covering a receiver on a deep ball and we try to put our hands on the receiver to feel where he's at while our heads are turned toward the ball. The refs are going to throw a flag if the receiver doesn't catch it or it looks like we impeded his progress somehow.

But we all know it's all about touchdowns in the NFL. The league just wants points on the board.

Cntrygal
09-28-2002, 03:31 PM
:up:

ArcticWildMan
09-28-2002, 03:57 PM
I just wish the refs would be consistant. It seems the big name receivers get calls in their favor that are total BS while a lesser known receiver can be almost tackled with no flag being thrown.

Ebenezer
09-28-2002, 05:08 PM
amen! the big name receivers also get to push off on almost every down. if they would have called Michael Irvin for pushing off everytime he did it the 'Boys would have never won a game.

MissBuffalo
09-28-2002, 05:53 PM
HEY PHIL!!!!!! Can you let me know, since you subscribe to Shout, if and when they put a picture of Bills fans from San Francisco in front of the bar during the Broncos game. I should be in it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Creemoredrinker
09-28-2002, 06:14 PM
:jk:

That PI callagainst AW last game was bogus.

lordofgun
09-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Every call against the Bills is bogus. :D

4thAndLong
09-28-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Every call against the Bills is bogus. :D

The curse...:(

lordofgun
09-28-2002, 07:39 PM
:lol:

I like your sig pic. :D

The_Philster
09-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by MissBuffalo
HEY PHIL!!!!!! Can you let me know, since you subscribe to Shout, if and when they put a picture of Bills fans from San Francisco in front of the bar during the Broncos game. I should be in it.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Will do, MissB :up: