PDA

View Full Version : Positives and Negatives going into KC game

elltrain22
10-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Positives:
1. now that TH had his first 100 yard game, our offense should be able to build off that and gain confidence in running the ball.
2. we now have seen what kind of plays to get Josh Reed involved. Short and over the middle is an area that looks like Reed can excel at.
3. we have seen which running plays work and, which ones that are not as successful.
4. our defense played well on both the pass and the run, so this should help thier confidence going in to a tough game.

Negatives:
1. holding penalties kill us, and when our team gets in 1st and 20 or any type of long yardage situations, Gilbride tries to get too much too soon.
2. special teams ( other than Brian Moorman ) has to be alot better. Our blocking on punt returns, kick returns, not too mention our very weak kick and punt coverage needs to improve, especially against KC and Dante Hall.
3. drew still has problems holding on to the ball, and against good pass rushing teams, this will only end up in fumbles, sacks, and very bad results.

overall, this team should be pretty satisfied going into a very tough game versus KC. KC is one of the best teams when playing at home, and their crowd noise is the 2nd loudest in the league ( buffalo is # 1 ).

Here are my keys to the game vs. KC.

1. Don't kick it to Dante Hall. By all means necessary, keep him out of the play, otherwise he will hurt us...
2. STick with the run. KC's run dee isn't the leagues' best, so the Bills should really try to capitalize on this.
3. Score early to try and take a very loud KC crowd out.
4. Protect Drew Bledsoe, and limit his QB pressures.
5. Contain Priest Holmes by stacking the line w/ 8 in the box.
6. PUt pressure on Trent Green--b/c he is prone to making mistakes when pressured.
7. control time of possession
8. no bonehead stupid plays called by Gilbride or GW.
9. and pray.... Pray that we can beat this very tough team.

HenryRules
10-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I agree with your points ... and this will be a very tough game.

Just once, I'd love to hear someone say, "The key to this game is scoring late. Very, very late." :)

Cntrygal
10-21-2003, 03:42 AM
good points!

northernbillfan
10-21-2003, 04:31 AM
We were very successful with the play action this past weekend, and we need to build on that.

As for Reed going for the tough yards down the mddle, Campbell seemed to fill in there quite nicely. He played a hell of a game.

Dante Hall could hurt us, especially if Moorman floats them as long as he is known to do. Kicking away from Dante is one thing, but having a five + second hang time could allow for Dante to get under the ball, adn in posistion. Let;s hope if that happens,we are down field to cover.

KC's weak run D is the key.

Brian Griese Rulz
10-21-2003, 05:10 AM
How come we always play KC in KC? Seems like they never come to Buffalo.

The_Philster
10-21-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
How come we always play KC in KC? Seems like they never come to Buffalo.

No kidding...the last time I remember them here was the end of 96...when Shawn Price stuffed Marcus Allen at the goal line to seal the win.

Luisito23
10-21-2003, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by northernbillfan

As for Reed going for the tough yards down the mddle, Campbell seemed to fill in there quite nicely. He played a hell of a game.

FINALLY!! I hear some1 give props to my man Campbell, I mean the guy has played nothing but tough football the whole season (remember the catch he had against the Jaguars where he got his clock turned backwards and yet still caught the ball)... and against the skins he had another great game, I dont remember him dropping not one pass, Bills need to use him way more cause he has more heart than a heart surgeon.. He is truly a very underrated player.

GO BILLS!!!!!
Rise like a merciless sea,
& drown the hopes of K.C. :bones:

Dozerdog
10-21-2003, 08:25 AM
I've noticed the KC offense has taken a couple of games off recently.

Dante Hall saved their bacon against the Ravens ina low scoring game, and a muffed punt last night gave the Chiefs a gift 6 points- otherwise a pourous Raider defense holds them to 10.

With an emotional division win vs the hated Raiders, on the road, with a short week to prepare- I can see a flat performance vs the Bills.

yle
10-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I've noticed the KC offense has taken a couple of games off recently.

Dante Hall saved their bacon against the Ravens ina low scoring game, and a muffed punt last night gave the Chiefs a gift 6 points- otherwise a pourous Raider defense holds them to 10.

With an emotional division win vs the hated Raiders, on the road, with a short week to prepare- I can see a flat performance vs the Bills.

I agree. Not to mention Tim Brown tackled one yard from tying it up.

TedMock
10-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
We were very successful with the play action this past weekend, and we need to build on that.

Dante Hall could hurt us, especially if Moorman floats them as long as he is known to do. Kicking away from Dante is one thing, but having a five + second hang time could allow for Dante to get under the ball, adn in posistion. Let;s hope if that happens,we are down field to cover.

KC's weak run D is the key.

We should be able to run and now that Reed's found his hands things are really looking up. I don't fully agree with but understand the punting thing though. 4.5-5 second hang time gets us down there so he has nowhere to go. The guy's as elusive as anybody but Moorman's more capable of keeping the ball in the air than most. Also, he places the ball well. In either case, thank god. Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT saying to kick right at him. Move it around, keep it high but make him have to move to catch it. I know this sounds sad but Moorman's been our best player this year. He's doing his job well and consistant which the rest of the team hasn't done. I'd love to see one hang up there and have Hall get popped real good. I don't root for injuries, I just want him scared after a nice hit.

RedEyE
10-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Did anyone else notice how open the RBs (Garner and Wheatley) were in the flats, across the middle and on screen plays? If the Raiders focused more on that they would have taken the Cheifs down hard.

I'd like to see the Bills start with a hard running game and chisel the ball down the field with dinks and dunks to Morris and Henry. Eat up the clock by keeping the ball in the center of the field. Keep Holmes off the field.

I'm interested to see how the OLBs match up against Gonzales this week. They will most likely run Gonzales on Posey's side of the field. Spikes is just a better playmaker and could have a killer day against him.

Jsyn
10-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Bills fan in kc again,

Did you guys watch the game? It seemed that everytime the raiders were on third down some ticky tack call was called and hardly anything was shown on replay. The chiefs should have won this game by 20. They knocked out gannon who's a pretty mobile guy, how do you think bledsoe will handle it? KC has yet to put together a complete game, hopefully it doesn't happen sunday.

Dozerdog, Trent Green was named offensive player of the week last week, that's not really taking a game off. They may be flat, the chiefs came out flat against the pack in lambeau and that was after an emotional bronco game. But the game is at Arrowhead and I think vermeil will have his guys ready.

Who cares that dante hall made a play to win a game? What's so big about a special teams player making a game breaking score? Does it matter if it's dante hall or jerome woods or priest holmes that is making a big play? Last time I checked this is a TEAM game. Good teams take advantage of oppurtunities and that's what the chiefs have done all year.

Earthquake Enyart
10-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Trent Green sure looked like he had "happy feet" towards the end of the game.

Looks like the Chiefs can be had running the ball up the gut. Does Gilbride have the stones to play smash mouth football?

justasportsfan
10-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Positive:
1. Rob Johnson does not play for the bills

Negative:
1. Rob Johnson is not the qb of the Chiefs

stuckincincy
10-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Did anyone else notice how open the RBs (Garner and Wheatley) were in the flats, across the middle and on screen plays? If the Raiders focused more on that they would have taken the Cheifs down hard.

I noticed it too.

I also noticed that KC had one - one- offensive holding call.

Sour grapes, yes, but I'm thinking these guys are the NFL's "darlings"...

KCWolfman
10-23-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Jsyn
Bills fan in kc again,

Did you guys watch the game? It seemed that everytime the raiders were on third down some ticky tack call was called and hardly anything was shown on replay. The chiefs should have won this game by 20. They knocked out gannon who's a pretty mobile guy, how do you think bledsoe will handle it? KC has yet to put together a complete game, hopefully it doesn't happen sunday.

Dozerdog, Trent Green was named offensive player of the week last week, that's not really taking a game off. They may be flat, the chiefs came out flat against the pack in lambeau and that was after an emotional bronco game. But the game is at Arrowhead and I think vermeil will have his guys ready.

Who cares that dante hall made a play to win a game? What's so big about a special teams player making a game breaking score? Does it matter if it's dante hall or jerome woods or priest holmes that is making a big play? Last time I checked this is a TEAM game. Good teams take advantage of oppurtunities and that's what the chiefs have done all year.

I hate st rich the fallen more than any other red and gold human being on this planet, but even I know he is no longer mobile. However, your comment regarding the penalties was justified. I still don't see how one ref can tell another that he was mistaken and did not see a face mask call - that just boggles my mind.

Fact is that we came out flat and went into our most hated rival's house. Even if the raiduhs were 0-6 they would have played up to us, they always do.

That said, we took care of business and held on in our single most hostile environment. I will bet dollars to donughts that our second meeting at Arrowhead will be vastly different in the outcome. And I sure hope that st rich is playing one more time instead of Tuispitooie. I just LOVE it when our DLBs hit him and pop his little head back like a bobble-doll.

KCWolfman
10-23-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE

I'd like to see the Bills start with a hard running game and chisel the ball down the field with dinks and dunks to Morris and Henry. Eat up the clock by keeping the ball in the center of the field. Keep Holmes off the field.

I'm interested to see how the OLBs match up against Gonzales this week. They will most likely run Gonzales on Posey's side of the field. Spikes is just a better playmaker and could have a killer day against him.

That occurred in the 4th quarter only, after we went into prevent. The flats are garnered a little closer in the other 3 quarters.

You will also note that their screens typically went for 1 or 2 yards in the first 3 quarters. While we don't have Spikes, we do have some speed.

IMO Henry is the singular key. I think Holmes gets his yards hell or high water, and Saunders has a nice way of using play action in the 3rd just when you are ready to bite on Holmes. Also uses the draw very successfully against other teams.

But if Henry can run all day, then you have a damned good chance. And our defense isn't exactly top grade against the run.