PDA

View Full Version : How much credit should the receivers get for yesterday's performance?

OpIv37
10-20-2003, 10:04 PM
In the absence of Moulds, both Reed and Shaw came through when it counted. But there was one other key factor- a dominant running game. It forced the defense to crowd the line and allowed the receivers to get open in one-on-one coverage.

Not to take away from the receivers but it begs the question- if we had been able to run the ball like that all season, would Reed Shaw, and Moulds have more impressive numbers?

helmetguy
10-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Balnce, Balance, balance.

Amazing what ya can do if ya can run the ball too, huh?

Cntrygal
10-21-2003, 05:23 AM
The run sets up the pass..... can we record that and slip it into KG's house, office, car, and anywhere else he may spend more than 30 seconds?

Jan Reimers
10-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Reed was finally the receiver we all thought he would be this year. I can't wait to get Moulds back - he and Josh will be some combination.

gochiefs
10-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Reed is REALLY slow...i don't know why the Bills thought he could be a starter.

OpIv37
10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by gochiefs

Moulds is such a deep threat I guess they thought he'd be a good possession guy. Speed hasn't been his big problem this year- prior to the Redskins game, he was dropping more balls than he caught. It was definitely a factor in the losses to Philly and Miami.

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 06:23 PM

Yeah I know it is different in the NFL but there are fast players in college who sure couldn't stop Josh Reed from becoming the best college redeiver that year now could they?:shutit:

gochiefs
10-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Uh, the college level is MUCH slower than the NFL level. That's why Reed isn't an all-pro at this level.

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Uh, the college level is MUCH slower than the NFL level. That's why Reed isn't an all-pro at this level.

Hey slick he's in the 2nd year in the NFL. :ko:

gochiefs
10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Hey slick he's in the 2nd year in the NFL. :ko:

Doesn't change the fact he's sloooooow.

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 06:51 PM

Doesn't change the fact he's sloooooow.

He can't be that slow he runs a 4.5 or 4.6. If he were that slow why was he able to get over 100 yards receiving against Champ Bailey?:whip: :shakeno:

gochiefs
10-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Because the Redskins suck, newsflash. And Bailey is an overrated "name," like Charles Woodson, another overrated CB.

Oh...4.5 and 4.6? SLOW FOR A WR! HELLOOOO?

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Because the Redskins suck, newsflash. And Bailey is an overrated "name," like Charles Woodson, another overrated CB.

Hey he's able to still get open amazing!:homer:

Billzz
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
There's a hell of difference between Running the Ball and RUNNING THE BALL EFFECTIVELY!!!!!!!!!

gochiefs
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
He's still not a threat or a gamebreaker...no one is scared of him. When you guys let Price go you chopped the nuts off that offense...with Price you were scary....now, not so scary.

Billzz
10-21-2003, 07:48 PM
We don't need a game breaker, that's Moulds job. The long ball days hopefully have been curtailed with the our success in the skins game throwing high percentage passes shorter then 20 yards. Nothing wrong with stretching the field with Moulds when you get 1 on 1 coverage when T-Hen is having success running the ball.

Jan Reimers
10-22-2003, 11:27 AM

You're right. That Jerry Rice guy will never make it either, with his 4.5-4.6 speed. You should really try to learn something about football before blathering all over this site.

The Spaz
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

You're right. That Jerry Rice guy will never make it either, with his 4.5-4.6 speed. You should really try to learn something about football before blathering all over this site.

:doh: :cheers:

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 12:52 PM
NOW we're comparing Reed to Jerry Rice?

Jan Reimers
10-22-2003, 01:07 PM
NOW we're comparing Reed to Jerry Rice?

No, I'm comparing your football knowledge to a stump.

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 01:09 PM
What's your basis for this? I know Jerry Rice didn't run great 40 times, that has nothing to do with this thread. We're talking about Reed and his lack of speed and gamebreaking ability, therefore not scaring Chiefs fans. Not a single person on this BB would take Reed over Price...you guys should have held onto him.

BillsNick
10-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Your posts, remind of a big pile of CRAP. No matter how many times you see one, they still stink. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :bigwave:

HenryRules
10-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Why would someone compare Reed to Rice?

Yes, Rice was slow, however he made up for it by:
- being the best route-runner ever in the NFL
- having some of the surest hands ever in the NFL
- being one of the best YAC receivers in the NFL.

So far Reed has shown:
- above average, but definitely not significantly above average route-running
- some of the worst hands in the NFL
- above average YAC yards

Quite below Rice on all accounts.

Also, Reed's second-year struggles really concern me. Unlike Price or Moulds, Reed doesn't have outstanding pure-athletic ability (great speed or size). Reed's strength coming into the league was supposed to be his route-running and hands. For both Price and Moulds (and most young receivers), these are the areas they improved upon and got better at. Reed doesn't seem to have progressed at all in these areas - and size and speed are pretty much god-given at this level/time, so I don't expect improvements there.

Shiny Chicken
10-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Andre Reed was slow too... so what's your point, gochiefs?

The_Philster
10-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Chicken
Andre Reed was slow too... so what's your point, gochiefs?

:hi5: Nice point :up:

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 04:12 PM
My point is Reed has no business being a starter in the NFL. If you guys had Price out there you'd be a much more fearsome offense.

The_Philster
10-22-2003, 04:14 PM
My point is Reed has no business being a starter in the NFL. If you guys had Price out there you'd be a much more fearsome offense.

Those two sentences have nothing to do with each other. Just because he's not a vertical threat, he isn't good enough to start?

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 04:16 PM
No, but when you combine his slowness with below average route running and hands, you get someone who shouldn't be starting.

HenryRules
10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Quit comparing Josh Reed to all these other great receivers ... they could catch the ball. If you can't catch the ball, you better be able to have speed to stretch the defense, otherwise you're going to be like Josh Reed this year ... where you have one good game every 4 or 5 because the other D doesn't respect your ability.

At least if you have speed and can't catch, then you can stretch the D because they can't leave you wide open 30 yards down field.

Josh Reed has been more of a hindrance than a help to the offense this season (last game aside).

anyone who can't see that hasn't been watching too many Bills games.

The_Philster
10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
No, but when you combine his slowness with below average route running and hands, you get someone who shouldn't be starting.

Before this season, he never had a problem with his hands and hopefully the drops are a thing of the past after what he did on Sunday.

HenryRules
10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Reed's problems go back to about game 4 or 5 last year ... he really hasn't produced that much at all in Buffalo aside from 4 or 5 games in his career.

justasportsfan
10-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Not a single person on this BB would take Reed over Price...you guys should have held onto him.

Now , now , now. Talking football is one thing, Chiefs fan. Telling us what the bills should've done is another. He wanted a no.1 wr salary. No one in their right mind would've done that especially w/ Moulds already in the team.

Price isn't doing squat w/ the Falcons and he still won't be an elite wr when Vick comes back. Decent but not elite.

Jeff1220
10-22-2003, 09:22 PM
If I remember correctly, before last year's breakout, P.Price's good games were few and far between as well. Reed has pi$$ed me off a lot this season, but he'll come along.

HenryRules
10-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Peerless Price was never a key receiver on a team with contending aspirations though ... this year Reed is.