PDA

View Full Version : The Rules to Offensive Football

Ingtar33
10-21-2003, 02:06 AM
It’s a sleepless night and I decided post something a little different… Here is a set of 10 simple rules I was taught to live by to have a successful offense.

1) Gain initiative, and dictate to the defense: This basically means, never let the defense force you to change what you want to do. If you want to run, RUN. If the D brings 8 men into the box to stop the run, add a TE to the field, do not abandon the run. If the defense is overselling itself against the run, start to work in those play action passes to make them pay, its what you want them to do when you try to establish a running game in the first place. You must forage an offensive identity, and stick to it. Players play better when they know what they are doing, why you are calling what you are calling, and they learn how to gain the upper hand on the defense when they know each other, themselves and their coach’s mindset.

2) You must run to set up the pass: Passing to set up the run is backwards from the way it should be. If you cannot run to set up the pass you cannot sit on a lead. You cannot run out the clock. And you cannot earn a first down on 3rd and two with a run. Teams that pass to set up the run tend to do the above poorly

3) Trust your Defense: This may seem to be an odd thing to put in here. But the first sign of offensive collapse, usually is rooted in a unit/coaching fear of their defense. Coaches/players who fear the "other" unit will screw things up for the team tend to take needless risks. Going for it on 4th and 1 in the redzone in a scoreless first quarter is a good example of this mentality. Needless risks tend to undermine a teams success in the future, as taking chances is basically gambling with fate. Eventually snake-eyes will show on the dice.

4) Play to your team's strength: If you have Randy Moss as a WR, you will not want to play a whole lot of dink and dunk passing. If your team simply cannot run block, do not run from spread formations, but bring in the TEs and FBs, and do not play games when you run.

5) A holding penalty on a run is never acceptable: Running the ball is simple attitude. The teams who know they can run do. I've seen far too many teams short on talent, but big on heart run the ball with success to believe this to be anything but who wants it more. A holding penalty on a run is a symptom of the o-lineman getting physically out hustled/outplayed. It should never happen, and it is a killer penalty. As a side note, the WRs should never be penalized under any circumstance except in the case to save a turnover.

6) Never turn the ball over within the 20's: These are the turnovers that lose games. Turning it over within your own 20 will almost always result in a TD for the opposition, while a turnover within the redzone takes sure points off the board.

7) Never lose yardage within the 20's: This may seem like a no brainier, but think about what this rule means. It means you do not run sweeps, tosses, reverses, end arounds, flea flickers, or slow developing pass plays in these situations. That means you basically toss the gadget plays out of your playbook, and play straight football. If you are trapped with in your own 20, a loss of yardage will put you in a dangerous long yardage situation, which could make a turnover or sack more likely. If you are in the opposition’s 20, a loss of yardage will likely result in taking a FG as opposed to 6.

8) Never take a penalty within the 20's: This rule has the same thinking behind it as rule 7. Loss of yardage is bad while stuck in these areas of the field, often drive killers.

9) If you plan to go for it on 4th down, you run on 3rd and short: This is a hard and fast rule of good football. You in a place to go for it? Its 3rd and 2 or 3, and you know you will go for it on 4th? You run a dive, or other no-frills running play on 3rd down. You never pass. You do not lose yards (no outside runs). 4th down is something different of course, then you can open your playbook, but 3rd down, you run.

10) If you pass and gain no yards on 1st down, you run on second: End of story, this is simply the price you pay for passing on first to no effect. As an offensive coach, and former player I will tell you the percentages for a successful 3rd down conversion in 3rd and 7 or more is abysmally low, like 10% to 15%. Where as 3rd and 5 or 7, is in the 35%. If you plan to pass on 2nd and 10, it must be something like a simple screen pass which would be a very high percentage pass play.

northernbillfan
10-21-2003, 04:25 AM
I can learn more about football just by reading an Ingtar thread than I could playing the game for a life time.

You should be a coach somewhere Ingtar!

:up: Great thread.

Earthquake Enyart
10-21-2003, 06:14 AM
I totally agree with No. 9. No outside runs. :eek:

Hear this GW???

Cntrygal
10-21-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
I can learn more about football just by reading an Ingtar thread than I could playing the game for a life time.

You should be a coach somewhere Ingtar!

:up: Great thread.

Ditto!!! Glad to see that you're back Ingtar!

RedEyE
10-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Nice post Ingtar. Email it to Gilbride and Williams.

Gilbride's entire scheme for the last two seasons has been open the run by way of the pass. It is bass ackwardsands to say the least, and it makes very little sense in the way of controling the clock.

Mixing up the play calling is good, but the Bills have passed 7 out of 10 x on first downs this season. Again, this reverts back to Gilbride's game plan. KG believe's that Bledsoe's arm is the nucleus of this team. I differ with that opinion. Henry is more than capable of setting the pace and regardless of what the current stats indicate, I think that the OL seems much more comfortable blocking for the run. They just can't give Bledsoe the time that he needs on every single drop back. With Gash out in front, give Henry the biscuit and let him work it. It may take Henry an entire half to get going, but once he gets a full head of steam the opposing defense is bruised and more manageable.

I've noticed that the Bills have given up on the run when down in the second qrtr. The team becomes instantly one deminsional at this point and winning becomes more difficult. I think if a team decides to dump the running game, it had either be in a critical situation (down by several points, or down at the end of either half with time running off the clock), or they've instantly decided to go to a no huddle style offense. Not sure why Buffalo continues to ditch the run?

Look at how KC's offense plays the game. They are truly nothing special. The best WR on that team is Gonzalez. The QB is mediocre, but Green listens to his coaches and trust them enough that he executes on cue. It's no secret that Preist Holmes is the backbone of the KC Cheifs. KC walks into every game with the plan to give Holmes the ball. Make the opposing defense stop the run. There hasn't been an opposing team that could do it all season.

I know that Henry and Holmes are in two different leagues, but the Bills passing game should compensate for that. Running Henry will open the pass........

.....ah ****, I'm just rambling now. Time to stop.

Ingtar33
10-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Figured I’d resurrect this thread... just a little something to read while watching the game.

Keep this in front of you, and you'll see why these rules are so damned important. I'm willing to bet the team that lives closest to them, wins.

So in this shameless plug for zonebucks I resurrect this thread.

The Article (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?action=YourSite_content&month=10&state=news&nid=7302)

Bufftp
10-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Its a good read Ingtar, but if I keep it up during the game anf KG's playing to it, my blood pressure might go through the roof!