PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this to me?

BillC
10-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Report cards are in-

DL: C+ Once again, it was Schobel and Williams with 95% of the contributions of the line. Adams produced a goose egg stat wise and should have made several easy plays and Denney’s contributions were nominal. Same old, same old. No sacks other than a last minute sack on Mr. Sack, Rob Johnson in a situation made for a sack-seeking team.....

ST: D+ Punting was good as usual. Returns were not. Coverages were average. Kickoffs were not good either.

By Wile E (Front page) (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=10&nid=7304)

======================================

Sportsline .com
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/6737784

RUSH DEFENSE
A -- DT Sam Adams returned to the lineup after missing a game with a sprained ankle and while he didn't have a great day, his 350-pound body in the middle of the line helped discourage the Redskins' running game. The Bills permitted just 56 yards on 22 attempts, a 2.5-yard average. Ladell Betts started in place of injured Trung Canidate for Washington and had only 11 yards on eight carries before leaving with a forearm injury. Chad Morton provided a spark on Washington's lone scoring drive, but it wasn't nearly enough. LBs London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes were flowing to the ball and disrupting plays the way they did in the first two weeks of the season. Spikes almost had a sack and almost had an interception as well.

SPECIAL TEAMS
B -- Brian Moorman continues his quest to become the AFC's Pro Bowl punter. His six punts averaged 48.5 yards and his net average was an impressive 40.0 despite the presence of dangerous return man Chad Morton. Morton had a good day based on his punt return average of 12.8, but one reason is that Moorman out-kicked his coverage on three occasions and that enabled Morton to rip off sizeable returns. Still, the key number is Moorman's net was still 40. On kickoff coverage, the Bills kept Morton in check. Last year when he played for the Jets, Morton returned two kickoffs for touchdowns in the season opener against the Bills. They were ready for him this time and he averaged only 17.7 on three kick returns. As for Buffalo's return game, not very productive. Antonio Brown can't get on track with punt returns and he averaged just 2.2 yards on six attempts. His lone kickoff return was a 17-yarder. Kicker Rian Lindell made his lone field goal, a 20-yard chip shot, and all three of his conversions, but his kickoffs remain a mystery. He has not shown good leg strength.

===========================================

Rochester D&C

Defensive line: Washington was held to 169 net yards and had eight three-and-out possessions. It started up front for the Bills, with Pat Williams and Aaron Schobel turning in strong games. Schobel gets special mention for sacking ex-Bill Rob Johnson in the fourth quarter. A

Special teams: Bills paid a lot of respect to old nemesis Chad Morton, with Rian Lindell’s directional kickoffs, one going out of bounds, giving the Redskins good drive starts all day. Punter Brian Moorman had another big day with a 48.5 average with gunner Terrence McGee doing an excellent job in coverage. Brown (2.2 average) struggled on punt returns and long-snapper Jon Dorenbos almost put one snap over Moorman’s head. B-

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/bills/1020UA24EET_card20_bills.shtml

Ebenezer
10-21-2003, 10:50 PM
It is obvious that the latter two are easy graders that accept the lower watered down regents requirements.

mackey789
10-21-2003, 10:51 PM
was that WYS rankings? Wile E? If so, then he always rates DL badly because he doesnt like Sam Adams and always QB badly because he hates Drew. They need games of the century to break a B-

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 10:53 PM
No it's just that wys's is a terrible columnist and he just always seeks more of the negative than the positive.

BillC
10-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Makes me wonder why the huge discrepancy in the grades between Wile E and the other sports outlets. We jump from 6th to 3rd off that performance, and our grades go down? Where did these report cards come from- WCoastfin Memorial High school?

A case of playa hating clouding the judgement?

According to Wile E

Dick LeBeau; It’s a difficult argument to state that Williams needs to be held accountable while the “Assistant Head Coach” gets a pass. Again, another Donahoe hire, I have no idea what the Bills saw in Dick LeBeau as a coach. I’m sure he is a great guy, but his team rankings in Cincinnati both as defensive coordinator and as head coach were horrendous. His strength is supposedly defensive knowledge. I wonder how much input he has had into the current defensive system because it seems to me that Jerry Gray did better with far less talent last season. I have found it suspicious at least to wonder why the Bills hired an "assistant head coach" that was touted as being a "defensive mind" yet without the accompanying achievements in that area. Is the current state of the D coincidence? Who knows. .......

.........Under any circumstances Donahoe made no real efforts other than by signing more similar talent than the Bills had last season. Sam Adams was brought in, but it takes little to see that Sam, in spite of having had a lucky game in week one, clearly is not the player he was two or three seasons ago. In fact, at $2 million per season Sam is not worth the bucks. The level of play that he is bringing to the table can be gotten from most average $1 million free agents on waivers. He locks up with a single offensive lineman, not necessarily a good lineman, does not possess the strength to effectively shed him with any regularity, has no speed for pass rushing, and is nowhere near the two-gap tackle that he once was.

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=10&nid=7203

Simple statistics 101- Bills last season without Lebeau, Spikes, posey, Adams=- Bottom 5 defense

Bills with those players/personel- Top 5 ( TOP 3 this week) Defense.

:huh:

Without Adams vs the Jets- Martin had the game of the year. With Adams, the Skins get stuffed, we jump 3 spots in defensive rank to #3, and we dominate the game.

I guess TD blew it on Adams and LeBeau......:rolleyes:

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 10:57 PM
He also looks at players individually instead of a unit as a whole and that makes a difference.

mackey789
10-21-2003, 10:58 PM
WYS has some personal issues against more than a few players on this team. Either Jeff Blake should be our starter or AVP should finish up the rest of the season. Come on people!

The Spaz
10-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by mackey789
WYS has some personal issues against more than a few players on this team. Either Jeff Blake should be our starter or AVP should finish up the rest of the season. Come on people!

Which is why I doubt too many people give him creditability here.:shakeno:

LABillsFan
10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
I don't care if Sam Adams doesn't have stats. His job is to plug the middle and force the runner to run into someone else's arms. That's why he is here, if he does get a sack or a tackle or an INT it's gravy on top. Rb's are bouncing it outside where the DE's Lb's or Db's are getting the tackles and their stats. Why else do you think the Bills went out and got LB's with speed.

BTW, there were 2 sacks by the Bills 1 on each Washington QB, 1 by Schobel and 1 by Posey.

BTW 2, Williams had 3 tackles, Schobel had 4. Fletcher had 9 and Posey had 6 to lead the team, How do you come up with Schobel and Williams having 95%?

HenryRules
10-22-2003, 11:59 AM
LAB ... I agree that Adams had a good game.

But, Wile E. said that Schoebel and Williams had 95% of the contributions of the DL. As Fletch and Posey are LBs, their contributions aren't quite a great indicator of inaccuracy in the review.

However, I do believe that Adams play was solid and the main reason for that is that the middle was clogged up. It doesn't matter if one or two blockers tie up Sam Adams ... if the other team is afraid/can't run between the C and T on Adams side, he's doing his job.

The Spaz
10-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
LAB ... I agree that Adams had a good game.

But, Wile E. said that Schoebel and Williams had 95% of the contributions of the DL. As Fletch and Posey are LBs, their contributions aren't quite a great indicator of inaccuracy in the review.

However, I do believe that Adams play was solid and the main reason for that is that the middle was clogged up. It doesn't matter if one or two blockers tie up Sam Adams ... if the other team is afraid/can't run between the C and T on Adams side, he's doing his job.

You guys are all wrong it's all about stats :lol::drinker: