PDA

View Full Version : GoChief, I have a question for you!

Patrick76777
10-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Do you think the Chiefs are going to go 16-0?

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 03:16 PM
No, where did you get that idea? Or are you just asking?

Patrick76777
10-22-2003, 03:21 PM
I’m just asking. I think you’re a cool guy. Just a big Chiefs fan trying to back his team!

It was more of a test! If you had said yes, Then I would have had to take everything you said with a grain of salt. Because only ******* ignorant Miami Dolphin fans think that they can go undefeated! That is until they play Houston in week one!

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Heh heh heh....I hate the Dolphins too, mainly because of that ***** Marino.

I do think KC will be 12-0 though. I think they will run the table between now and their Chargers game on Nov. 30...

Patrick76777
10-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Winning 12 in a row in the NFL is extremely difficult to do. Dare I say nearly impossible! Too many intangibles to worry about! Including the refs! I’ve just always been one who believes that winning streaks are always due to end. But KC is a team that I’ve never hated. We’ve always had good games with KC! So if you do beat us, Do me a favor and go 16-0! That’ll really piss off the Dolphin fans and I’ll love it!

gochiefsmother
10-22-2003, 03:29 PM
gochiefs! You better stop being a pain in the azz and clean up all this star wars crap you left laying around in your room!

The Spaz
10-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by gochiefsmother
gochiefs! You better stop being a pain in the azz and clean up all this star wars crap you left laying around in your room!

OH no it's another ma and pa episode.....:lol:

gochiefsmother
10-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

OH no it's another ma and pa episode.....:lol:

It seems little gochiefs has a way of showing up on other peoples boards and making an azz out of Chief fans. Little meetpeeker needs to learn to control himself.

Billzz
10-22-2003, 03:34 PM
haha

The Spaz
10-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Oh man this is too good!:)

ENDelt260
10-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Oh, dear. Gochiefs' mother. :shake:

I think I've decided I'd prefer a 15-1 season.

Here's the column (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/joe_posnanski/7015101.htm) that swayed me.

Unbeaten is overrated
Predicting perfection usually proves preposterous
By JOE POSNANSKI
Columnist

OK, let's just say, right up front, that I will not pick the Chiefs to go 16-0. That's really what a sports columnist is supposed to do when a special team comes along.

Already this year in Washington, columnist Tony Kornheiser, the patron saint of “our team is going unbeaten” columns (his 1991 collection of bandwagon columns are the standard by which all 16-0 columns are measured), considered dusting off another one for Washington. Then, quite logically and prophetically, he looked at Washington's coach and decided against it.

In Denver, columnist Woody Paige prematurely decided to write his 16-0 column about the Broncos, apparently not even considering that their quarterback is Jake Plummer. People talk about how Armageddon must be approaching with the Cubs and Red Sox so close to meeting in the World Series. No.

Armageddon will arrive when Jake Plummer leads a team to a 16-0 record.

Then, at this very moment, there are undoubtedly columnists in Charlotte, N.C., and Minneapolis furiously typing how the Panthers and Vikings are going 16-0, and nobody can stop them, and look out '72 Dolphins and all that. The only problem with those particular columns is that the Panthers are not really all that good, let's be serious here. And the Vikings have a wacky head coach in Mike Tice who was recently voted “most likely to have a Gunther Cunningham meltdown before the end of the season.”

With Tice the real question is which is likely to happen first:

1. The Vikings lose a game.

2. Tice coaches entire game dressed in a chicken suit.

Anyway, I'm not going to write that column. Yes, the Chiefs are 6-0. Yes, it's their best start ever. Yes, they just went into Green Bay and beat the Packers. Yes, they look like the best team in football. But I'm still not going to fall for that 16-0 trap. No sir.

And that's why today, I'm officially predicting the Chiefs will go 15-1.

As the Beatles sang:

Fifteen and one (doo doo doo doo)

Fifteen and one

And I say, it's all right.

We'll have T-shirts made later.

Why 15-1? Well, first of all, you don't want to go 16-0. Can you imagine the pressure of going into the playoffs undefeated? If you lose, you will forever be remembered as the greatest team never to win a Super Bowl. Who needs that kind of headache? It's that kind of pressure that turned Phil Mickelson, a seemingly decent enough guy, into a tournament-blowing mushball who undoubtedly lets people cut in front of him at the supermarket because he can't stand being in front.

No, you definitely do not want to go 16-0. It's too hard. Every game takes on a playoff atmosphere. There are thousands of media people and fans and sideline reporters and CBS pre-game show guys everywhere you turn. There's no room to breathe. No time to rest the starters. Hey, it's hard enough to make the playoffs (it has been five years for the Chiefs), get to the Super Bowl (33 years for Chiefs) and win it.

But if you have to worry about winning some stupid and otherwise meaningless December game against the Chicago Bears so you can make history, well, that just makes the job so much harder.

Oh yeah, there's one other reason you don't want to go 16-0: You must have some sympathy for those kind-of-sad 1972 Dolphins players, who seem to get together every year to root against the last team with an undefeated record. I mean, that's fairly depressing, isn't it? Look, if it means that much to them …

So forget 16-0.

But 15-1, now, that sounds really good. That gives you all the benefits of going 16-0 — you still win the division, still get home-field advantage, still are the favorites to win it all — without all the nasty drawbacks.

And the Chiefs will go 15-1. They should be favored in just about every game the rest of the year (they won't be favored going into Denver, and they might not be favored going into Minnesota). They have Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit and San Diego left on the schedule, and all of them are bad. Really bad. Buffalo ain't too good either.

And, of course, they have Oakland twice, which leads us to a little section we like to call: Scouting report for this week's victory: The Chiefs play at Oakland at 8 p.m. on Monday Night Football. As John Madden will tell you 248 times during the broadcast, it's always hard to go into Oakland and win, especially on a Monday night, and that might be true except for one thing: This Raiders team is old. Really old. These guys play bingo on Monday nights. They have potluck dinners. They drive Lincoln Continentals. We're talking old here. The Raiders are also lucky not to be 0-6 now — their two wins (over San Diego and Cincinnati) were hardly convincing.

For the Chiefs to beat the Raiders they need to: (A) Stay alive the entire game (no easy trick in that dungeon); (B) Remember that quarterback Rich Gannon cannot throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield; (C) Avoid having any toes broken by Jerry Rice's or Tim Brown's walker.

Prediction: Chiefs 34, Raiders 16. Dick Vermeil goes 7-0 for the first time in his glorious career. And the Chiefs take one more step toward that 15-1 season. Now, you ask, which game will the Chiefs actually lose?

We'll worry about that one later.

ENDelt260
10-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Heh heh. On ChiefsPlanet : shake : makes a shaking head. Figured I'd take a shot here.... oh well.

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Alot of things can go wrong between now and over the next five games. But if you look at our opponents after the Buffalo game, we should beat them all:

Cleveland - Get Priest on your fantasy team
@ Cincy - the toughest game in the stretch, Bengals ain't bad
Oakland - A blowout at Arrowhead
@ Sandy Eggo - Chargers suck, we'll school 'em again.

gochiefsmother
10-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ENDelt260
Oh, dear. Gochiefs' mother. :shake:

I think I've decided I'd prefer a 15-1 season.

Here's the column (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/joe_posnanski/7015101.htm) that swayed me.

That's all fine and well, but I am over here trying to convince my boy to behave! He has been kicked off of numerous Boards for his obnoxious ways. It must stop here and now!!:chair:

Billzz
10-22-2003, 03:46 PM
HaHa way to look past all the other teams in the NFL. Good thing your head coach is grounded.

Patrick76777
10-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by gochiefs
Alot of things can go wrong between now and over the next five games. But if you look at our opponents after the Buffalo game, we should beat them all:

-I do and I can't wait. Have this one circled

-I agree, Bengals are playing well and all roadies are tough

-Division games are alway tough

-esp. Road Division games. VERY TOUGH!

gochiefs
10-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Billzz
HaHa way to look past all the other teams in the NFL. Good thing your head coach is grounded.

I really don't see a reason to fear those teams, so far, except Oakland, we've blown out all the bad teams we've faced (San Diego, Pittsburgh, Texans). And Oakland was playing for their lives last week, it was their Super Bowl.

It's not "looking past" those teams. I'm just confident we'll beat them.