PDA

View Full Version : If GW is out after this season....

Jeff1220
10-23-2003, 01:59 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

This isn't the most reliable source (sort of like the NFL Enquirer), but if this has any substance, I think Billick would be just the sort of pompous a$$ that this team could use as a coach. His teams in Baltimore have had a lot of heart and attitude. His teams over the past year and a half have been over-achievers, and with the talent on Buffalo's roster, he might be able to help them go the distance.

Thoughts? Here's the story:

BILLICK IN TROUBLE?

Word around the league is that Ravens coach Brian Billick's job could be in jeopardy once minority owner Steve Bisciotti assumes ownership of the team after the 2003 season.

At that time, Art Modell will hand the keys to the team over to Bisciotti. Art's son, David, already has announced that he'll step down as team president, and rumor has it that he was pushed out by Bisciotti.

The thinking is that Bisciotti might want to make a fresh start, and we hear that the team's final record this year could go a long way toward determining whether Billick will return for a sixth season.

Bisciotti's arrival might also prompt G.M. Ozzie Newsome to look elsewhere, and some league insiders consider him to be an immediate candidate for the lingering G.M. vacancy in Atlanta.

The reality is that Bisciotti has a right to make changes, if he so chooses. We're not saying that we won't give him a hard time if rampant changes come (a la Snyderbrenner), but when a guy ponies up millions upon millions, he's secured for himself the right to do whatever he wants with his property.

Pride
10-23-2003, 02:18 PM
he has definately done alot with little... however, I feel he would need an innovative and intelligent (NOT GILBRIDE) offensive coordinator. Billick is a great D guy and game manager, but I feel he lacks Offensive experience.

yle
10-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Pride
he has definately done alot with little... however, I feel he would need an innovative and intelligent (NOT GILBRIDE) offensive coordinator. Billick is a great D guy and game manager, but I feel he lacks Offensive experience.

???
Wasn't he the offensive coordinator in Minnesota before he went to Baltimore?

Jeff1220
10-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Billick was brought over to Baltimore because of his appearant offensive genius as the Vikes O.C.
The thing I like about him is that he knew that the Ravens didn't have the Vikes O, so he played to their strengths - a conservative offense with a dominating D. He didn't impose the big-play offense on the Ravens.

However, he can't make up his $&*#ing mind on who his QB is and will be. Maybe he's setled on Boller for good.

Pride
10-23-2003, 02:39 PM
ahh

I didnt know anything about him prior to his stint in baltimore. So, if he has the offensive know-how, then even better!

E-Klips
10-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Well, he is a successful coach, has won the Super Bowl and does know how to manage a team. Taking all that into consideration, I'd have to say............

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say what you will about his accomplishments in Baltimore, he hasn't shown ANYONE why he was known as an offensive genius from his days as the Vikes' OC. Either he is making some poor personnel decisions and not getting the WRs they need there (after all, Vinny had the Ravens scoring points like crazy when Marchibroda was their coach!) or Ozzie Newsome has been making those moves and should not be as highly regarded as he is as their director of pro personnel. Whoever is to blame, they have a crappy offense that isn't getting any better. Do we really want to bring that to Buffalo?

cordog
10-23-2003, 04:08 PM
After the SB years they were in salary cap prison if i remember right, so they really havent had a chance to go out and get offensive talent, plus Lewis is now coming back from his injury he suffered after the SB year. They have developed some pretty good players on offense such as Todd Heap, and i believe Taylor will be a good wide reciever once Boller develops.

CHIEF4EVER
10-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Pride

I hear Paul "Can't" Hackett might be available. :spank: :ugly:

stuckincincy
10-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Cold day in H*ll when he comes to Bflo.. I'd travel 8 hours to be 1st in line to prang him with a chunk of ANTHRACITE coal. :tongue:

DraftBoy
10-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I would rather go with a new coach out of college personally. Maybe one of the Stoops boys out of OU. Mike Stoops seems to be a better coach then Bob. Atleast IMO he is.

TigerJ
10-23-2003, 10:32 PM
We could do worse than Billick, whose pedigree prior to his Baltimore stint was in offence. Hackett isn't a bad OC if you're all set up to commit to a WCO. Trouble is he can't or won't run anything else, so if your personnel doesn't fit WCO tough luck, he going to run it anyway.

CHIEF4EVER
10-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
We could do worse than Billick, whose pedigree prior to his Baltimore stint was in offence. Hackett isn't a bad OC if you're all set up to commit to a WCO. Trouble is he can't or won't run anything else, so if your personnel doesn't fit WCO tough luck, he going to run it anyway.

You obviously don't know Hackett like us Chiefs fans so painfully do. That jerk singlehandedly cost us the 95' playoff game in KC.

gochiefs
10-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by CHIEF4EVER

You obviously don't know Hackett like us Chiefs fans so painfully do. That jerk singlehandedly cost us the 95' playoff game in KC.

I think The Kicker That Shall Not Be Named takes a greater share of the blame, thought Hackett didn't help. Neither did Bono, to be fair.

Skip Towne
10-24-2003, 09:44 AM
I hear Mike Price is available.

LMB
10-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
I would rather go with a new coach out of college personally. Maybe one of the Stoops boys out of OU. Mike Stoops seems to be a better coach then Bob. Atleast IMO he is.

We just went through nearly 3 years of a new coach. What has it got us. We nned a coach that has been there.

Jeff1220
10-24-2003, 12:12 PM
The thing that most people hate about Billick is what I like about him - his attitude. He's an arrogant SOB, but he does it in a way that the players really seem to respond to it. He gives his teams a swagger that, frankly, this Bills team does not have.

Few people would've thought that the Ravens had enough talent last year to go 4-12 or 3-13, yet they got to 8-8 and just missed the playoffs. Imagine what that kind of coaching could do with the talent in Buffalo.:idea:

ryguy8161
10-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Too many "if"s "might"s and "rumor has it"s

Historian
10-24-2003, 02:14 PM
I'de take anybody over the tube steak we have right now.

helmetguy
10-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
I'de take anybody over the tube steak we have right now.

Careful what ya wish for 'Ology! For everyhalfwit like GW, there's at least a couple of Venturis or Spurriers! But yeah, Moobs is a tube steak and has to go...VERY SOON!!!