PDA

View Full Version : I heard some news about Mcgahee on the radio yesterday

fabolouspaul
10-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Radio talk show host Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton of XTRA sports 690 AM here in Los Angeles reported that McGahee left practice early yesterday with minor swelling in the knee. Im not sure if this is confirmed since I have not read any news about it here. Has anyone heard any news about it?

WG
10-24-2003, 01:39 PM
There's a shocker, huh!!

:rolleyes:

The Spaz
10-24-2003, 01:40 PM
I think if it were true we would be hearing it in the local media.

WG
10-24-2003, 01:41 PM
One of these days we'll have a GM who doesn't take tons of chances on washed up injured or just plain risky injured players as the "solutions" to the team's issues.

Farris
Jett
Jones
McGahee now
Sobieski

Oh, for the dreams of selecting a first round draftee who can actually practice as soon as the season starts...

:D

WG
10-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I think if it were true we would be hearing it in the local media.

Not necessarily.

Obviously we hope it isn't true, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it is. There's no chance in hell that the official site would announce something like this after so short a time. They'd have to be nuts. They have enough issues w/ GW an Gilbride. The absolute last thing they need now is more heat on Donahoe.

;)

Bufftp
10-24-2003, 01:45 PM
you had that last Year Wys. Remember Big Mike :D

EricStratton
10-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Willis leaves every practice with swelling in his knee and ices after every activity be it practice, rehab or just working out. It’s something he will do for the rest of his career.

Mr. Miyagi
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by fabolouspaul
Radio talk show host Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton of XTRA sports 690 AM here in Los Angeles reported that McGahee left practice early yesterday with minor swelling in the knee. Im not sure if this is confirmed since I have not read any news about it here. Has anyone heard any news about it?
What the heck does a AM radio DJ in LA know about a ex-Miami college player and now a WNY pro-player?

It's like me in Wisconsin saying I have inside info from Saddam's family. Yeah right.

The Spaz
10-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
One of these days we'll have a GM who doesn't take tons of chances on washed up injured or just plain risky injured players as the "solutions" to the team's issues.

Farris
Jett
Jones
McGahee now
Sobieski

Oh, for the dreams of selecting a first round draftee who can actually practice as soon as the season starts...

How much did those players cost us. Not only that as far as I know Sobieski is healthy.

WG
10-24-2003, 01:51 PM
How do you figure ES?

I've had 7 surgeries, and only until I started abusing my knee, it was fine, 100% of where it ever was and I had no noticeable swelling at all. A good ACL/triad repair shouldn't necessarily necessitate any swelling at all. If there is swellling, it's the body's way of saying something ain't right. It also means that McGahee would necessarily be less than 100%. Without question. How much would depend, but it assuredly means he's not 100%.

Regardless, for a top draft pick, he's not worth a top pick w/ these issues. I think you'd find almost universal agreement on that amongst GMs and trainers/physicians. For top-pick, top-dollar, you expect 100%, not 95% or less. If this is true, it also raises serious doubts as to whether he'll ever be a starter in the league and without question moves him further into the "experiment" category.

WG
10-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

What the heck does a AM radio DJ in LA know about a ex-Miami college player and now a WNY pro-player?

It's like me in Wisconsin saying I have inside info from Saddam's family. Yeah right.

Just a guess Miyagi, perhaps this isn't the kind of news the official site is waiting to release. As well, the guy's a talk show host on sports in one of the largest cities in the nation, I'm sure he has some sources.

I agree with you that this news w/o a link from that source is somewhat dubious. But I can also almost assure you that the first place you would hear it wouldn't be from OBD.

EricStratton
10-24-2003, 01:55 PM
How do you figure ES?

How I figure is Willis has said it.

And remember, you or I abusing a surgically repaired joint is a bit different than a pro athlete doing the same thing. I'm guessing he puts his knee through a few more paces than you or I do.

fabolouspaul
10-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Im just reporting what he said. What got my attention was that he said "Bad news In Buffalo. RB Willis McGahee left practice early because of swelling flaring up in his knee." Since they barely report any news about the Bills here, I thought it would be a lil serious? So hopefully we learn new info about it today.

lordofgun
10-24-2003, 01:56 PM
I still don't think he'll play this year.

Pride
10-24-2003, 02:01 PM
I think he will play this year
and I think he will re-injure it, and call it a career.

Patrick76777
10-24-2003, 02:04 PM
I listen to Paul Hamilton’s updates EVERY SINGLE DAY! This guy is at the Stadium EVERY SINGLE DAY! He talks to the players and the coaches EVERY SINGLE DAY! He's very good at his job. He hasn't said a thing.

It amazes me that you'd believe that story without question!

BillsNick
10-24-2003, 02:05 PM
I hope they don't rush him. A mildly swelling knee is fairly normal at this time in his recovery isn't it?

Patrick76777
Everyone's so damn negative here! Jesus guys, have a little faith! I agree with Log, they probably err on the side of caution and hold him out until next year. So be it. But let's not end the poor guy’s career before he plays a down!

WG
Originally posted by EricStratton
How I figure is Willis has said it.

And remember, you or I abusing a surgically repaired joint is a bit different than a pro athlete doing the same thing. I'm guessing he puts his knee through a few more paces than you or I do.

Understood, but if there is swelling at that level even it cannot at all be considered incosequential or insignificant as your implication was. I can almost guarantee you that if this had been known on draft day even Donahoe wouldn't have drafted him in the first two rounds. Maybe second, but not first.

Swelling like that is even more significant at that level b/c of the abuse that those players take.

You gotta remember, he's not even taking hits, so yes, it is essentially the same as you or I going running at this point.

Earthquake Enyart
10-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I listen to Paul Hamilton’s updates EVERY SINGLE DAY! This guy is at the Stadium EVERY SINGLE DAY! He talks to the players and the coaches EVERY SINGLE DAY! He's very good at his job. He hasn't said a thing.

It amazes me that you'd believe that story without question!

He could be talking to Brian H. :eek:

WG
10-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Everyone's so damn negative here! Jesus guys, have a little faith! I agree with Log, they probably err on the side of caution and hold him out until next year. So be it. But let's not end the poor guy’s career before he plays a down!

Isn't LOG the one who predicted a 35-10 loss to the Chiefs?

Yeah, that's positive. :D

Not the point 76. The point is that if there in fact is swelling, this far post op it's not a good sign. It's been nearly a year and having gone thru this twice myself, I can tell you that if there's swelling, it usually means yet another surgery to clean things up. But the problem is that if there's "things that need to be cleaned up", there are issues already. Depends upon what's wrong and the next surgery wouldn't keep him out for any length of time.

My point is this is what we get for taking such a risk as opposed to have taken a player who can help us this season and have been hittin'the ground running, as it were, next season. Instead our '03 first rounder is a loss for this season and an experiment at best for next.

Gotta remember what many said. That we'll find out how good he is this year and have more information going into next year. That plan goes out the window if this information is true.

If it is, I'm sure we'll be hearing about it over the next few days. I'm sure it's out on all the message boards and if it did get out like that, I'm sure it'll be on the local sports talk shows tonight that the official site will have to make an announcement soon.

WG
10-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

He could be talking to Brian H. :eek:

LMAO EE!!!

Along with the other 1 million listeners or whatever he has.

The Spaz
10-24-2003, 02:11 PM
http://www.proteamphysicians.com/patient/ask/questDetails.asp?qid=42&catname=Knee

http://www.drbrod.com/rice.htm

Patrick76777
10-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Predicting a loss is a lot different then predicting that your number one draft choice will blow out his knee and not play a game all year! I think we’re going to lose 24-14! And I also predict that we will still win the division!

My point WYS! Is that you just heard 3rd hand that a AM Sports Radio host in LA did a blurb on Willis and you’re ready to write his career off as a failure. But we have a whole host of local reporters down at the stadium everyday, who have heard nothing! Plus guys like Len P. and Clayton and Mort on ESPN, who have contacts everywhere, have yet to say a thing!

Take it easy and let the coaches make the decision on this guy!

Patrick76777
10-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Paul said he heard the blurb yesterday! News like that would travel a little faster then that!

Earthquake Enyart
10-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Josh Mora would know. And he's said nothing.

BAM
10-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I think he will play this year
and I think he will re-injure it, and call it a career.

Sounds like the chorus of a song...

Patrick76777
10-24-2003, 02:19 PM
I didn't even mention Mora, THat's guy would be all over this story!

LtBillsFan66
10-24-2003, 02:33 PM

Friggin malcontents.

I'm getting tired of it.

Ingtar33
10-25-2003, 01:14 AM
I have a triple operated upon knee... it happened when i was 18, i couldn't play ball again until i was 20...

Before the injury i was a 4.3 runner, after it the fastest i was EVER clocked at was 4.68 (and i must have had a wind at my back because i was a consistent 4.8-4.9 runner). I had to switch from RB to QB...

My knee still needs to be iced down after exercise or even just a long drive. I walk with a limp.

That said, my injury was horrible, as bad to maybe even worse than anything Willis McGahee had. It took me a whole 15 months to even jog for the first time after the injury. Furthermore, surgery has progressed light-years from the late 80's... and what was done in 3 surgeries (for me) was done in one for Willis... what took 2 weeks for them to start treating me, Willis had his first surgery 3 days after the injury.

I couldn't dream of riding stationary bike days after any of the surgeries i had.

With the hell i went thought, and the fact that Im rather healthy now, i HAVE to believe Willis will be fine.

The swelling might be a sign of scar tissue in the knee… and it might be likely he will need one last minor surgery to remove it… but I think they will try to see if he’s able to go without it.

Kelly The Dog
10-25-2003, 10:26 AM
I have been listening to Lee Hamilton for about 15 years. He's a very, very good sports talk show host. Extremely knowledgeable, usually asks great questions, is extremely prepared and hard working. Is great with callers, both good and bad ones. Is very opinionated but that's what you want in a guy and show like that. He's the top sports guy in San Diego and Los Angeles (they are sister stations.

That said, his one achilles heel is that he is a compulsive liar. He makes up stuff all the time. He overstates injuries and where he gets his information from, as if he got it all by himself. I would bet anybody anything that "Willis McGahee left the field early with swelling in his leg" came from a local report from Buffalo that Lee Hamilton picked up on the wire or internet that mentioned that McGahee iced his knee late in a workout like he does after practice. That's just the way Hamilton is. Numerous times I have cringed when Lee spoke about the Bills because he would often say things like, after the time Bruce Smith twinged his knee in the Pro Bowl practice, "Buffalo Bills star Bruce Smith may have suffered a career ending injury at the Pro Bowl". Bruce, of course, played in the game.

99.9% chance this is a non-story.

Stewie
10-25-2003, 01:08 PM

Farris
Jett
Jones
McGahee now
Sobieski

All of those guys execept Sobieski and McGahee were FA. The bills didn't give up squat to get those guys, so whats the big deal?

How many first round picks are contributing to their teams this year? Thats right, not many of them. Oh yeah, Trufant gets burned a lot in Seattle so I guess that counts as contributing :P

I'd rather have McGahee injured and rehabbing than 25 of the other first round picks "contributing" this year.