PDA

View Full Version : All-Pro Steeler Guard Moving To Tackle

eyedog
10-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Alan Faneca, All-Pro left guard, is moving to left tackle. Due to injury he is moving over to a position he han't played since high school. Go to buffalobills.com for complete story.
That being so, would it be that difficult for Mike Williams to slide down two feet to his left and play right guard, which in turn would allow Price to stay in at right tackle? This would get, what I believe, our five best lineman on the field. It doesn't have to be a permanent career move for MW, just something until he gains more experience pass blocking. Who knows he might be an all-pro guard.

R. Rich
10-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Who knows? The one thing I do know is that the Bills must get A LOT better from guard to guard in order to win the NFL title. Brown looks tired, Tegue looks weak, and Pussywillow.......the name speaks for itself.

eyedog
10-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Agreed R. Rich. I think making that move would allow the line to improve in two positions.

R. Rich
10-24-2003, 01:35 PM
I just wish they'd play like one of the biggest OLs in the league, which they are. They need to be the most physical line in the league. If they were, with their size, they would overpower defenses more and we would run all over people.

Pride
10-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Tackle to Guard is easier than Guard to Tackle.

Guard is basically just a straight up battle with a defender your same size. Tackle you get speed rushes, OLB's, Safety's, etc

R. Rich
10-24-2003, 02:15 PM
It also depends on the scheme, Pride. Some schemes, like the Dallas OLs of the 90s, rely on more drive blocking. They just line up and knock you off the ball to jump start the running game. Others, like Denver, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo, use more pulling and trapping. I would rather see our line do more drive blocking. They have the size to do it and I really do believe that if we did that, we could run on anyone.

Tatonka
10-24-2003, 03:15 PM
he is getting paid WAY too much money to be a guard.