Can Someone Tell Me Why the Bills Stink On the Road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RINGLEADER111
    • Oct 2003

Can Someone Tell Me Why the Bills Stink On the Road?

I hear a lot of people predicting that the Bills are going to win this Sunday, and they certainly may. Buffalo does have a good team with quality players at the skill positions. But I do have a question: What have the Bills done recently to make ANYONE believe they are going to win?

* Travis Henry averages less than 2 yards per carry on the road.

* Drew Bledsoe is intercepted or sacked more than once every six times he drops back to pass on the road.

* The Bills are gaining almost 100 fewer yards and 7 fewer points on the road.

* Drew Bledsoe has 2 wins and 15 losses against teams with a winning record on the road during the last few years.

* The Bills are 1-6 over their last 7 road games.

* Buffalo's 3rd rank defense has played only one team in the top 15 of NFL offenses (Jacksonville at #14), and five of your opponents are in the bottom third of the NFL in offense.

* Arrowhead isn't exactly the easiest place to play in the NFL. During the past two seasons KC is 9-2 at home, including 8 straight home wins dating back to last year.

* Your best play-maker, Moulds, is likely not going to play and if he does he will be far less than 100%.

What do you see the Bills doing differently to overcome these trends?
  • Thailog80
    Im not a chick!
    • Apr 2003

No 12th man. Poor gameplanning, poor coaching, poor preparation.
    Attached Files

"Let's Roll"
    Todd Beamer
    Flight 93
    9/11/01

Comment

• ryguy8161
      BRING IT
      • Jul 2002

Some of those stats are ridiculously pointless.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

They took pretty good care of the Jags in Jville. I'm not worried if that team shows up again...ya know, the team that played again last week, not the team that played the Jets.

Anything can happen in the NFL, and it all boils down to all the Chiefs fans clinging to the very hope that the statistics will stay the same.
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• KCWolfman
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by mybills
          They took pretty good care of the Jags in Jville. I'm not worried if that team shows up again...ya know, the team that played again last week, not the team that played the Jets.

Anything can happen in the NFL, and it all boils down to all the Chiefs fans clinging to the very hope that the statistics will stay the same.
          A trend is a trend for one reason, it continues.

Actually, I think you would find that most Chiefs fans want nothing to do with the stats. They want improvement. Believe it or not, at 7-0 many Chiefs fans are unhappy with the O more than anything. We were the highest scoring offense in the NFL last year. We broke records set by our franchise and the Rams of a couple of years earlier. That is what our fans want again.

What many of them don't realize is that most of those catchup points we got last year aren't necessary this year, and a win is a win.

IF the Chiefs do well in the playoffs (no 7-0 team has ever missed the playoffs), no one will remember how they didn't deserve the opportunity to play in January as they barely beat the raiduhs and Ravens. They will remember a fantastic start and a fight for homefield advantage.

Comment

• helmetguy
            Touch the helmet for luck
            • Sep 2002

Biggest reason? No Marv Levy! "Hitler couldn't win on the road..."
            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• clumping platelets

We will reverse this trend

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

we can't win when we have horrible coaching.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• KCWolfman
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                  Touche'.

Funny, but none of the numbers are the reason I am worried this week. The only thing that bothers me is our extremely short work week that Vermeil has handed out.

And honestly, I wish Moulds were playing. I am betting after 1 quarter (or less) that Warfield would have no problem covering him. A groin pull is one thing, a groin tear is a totally different animal that continually wears.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I don't subscribe to the notion that Buffalo is just terrible on the road and we have to live with it. Of the road losses this year, they all happened when Buffalo was in it's funk. They barely managed to beat Cincinnati at home and lost to Philly at home. The Jets had Buffalo's number last year, so in retrospect it's not surprising that in the midst of their funk they would lose on the road. Likewise, it's not surprising that a Buffalo team playing subpar ball would lose to a good Miami team playing at home on a warm evening. As far as last year goes, that was last year. I think the road losses had more to do with Buffalo's late season swoon than some mystical road curse. Road losses in general are an indication of how well a team is playing. Good teams can overcome the challenges presented by road situations better than teams that aren't playing so well. If we continue to lose on the road, it simply means we've got to get better.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                      • Jul 2002

Re: Can Someone Tell Me Why the Bills Stink On the Road?

Originally posted by RINGLEADER111
                      I hear a lot of people predicting that the Bills are going to win this Sunday, and they certainly may. Buffalo does have a good team with quality players at the skill positions. But I do have a question: What have the Bills done recently to make ANYONE believe they are going to win?

* Travis Henry averages less than 2 yards per carry on the road.

* Drew Bledsoe is intercepted or sacked more than once every six times he drops back to pass on the road.

* The Bills are gaining almost 100 fewer yards and 7 fewer points on the road.

* Drew Bledsoe has 2 wins and 15 losses against teams with a winning record on the road during the last few years.

* The Bills are 1-6 over their last 7 road games.

* Buffalo's 3rd rank defense has played only one team in the top 15 of NFL offenses (Jacksonville at #14), and five of your opponents are in the bottom third of the NFL in offense.

* Arrowhead isn't exactly the easiest place to play in the NFL. During the past two seasons KC is 9-2 at home, including 8 straight home wins dating back to last year.

* Your best play-maker, Moulds, is likely not going to play and if he does he will be far less than 100%.

What do you see the Bills doing differently to overcome these trends?
                      Did I miss something?

Are we good at home or something?

The O has averaged fewer than 18 PPG at home in regulation, and we've allowed 21 PPG. All against some of the worst Os and Ds in the league.

Other than the first two games of the season, the Bills are playing some of the overall worst football in the league.

Since then, the O has averaged fewer than 8 PPG since then.
                      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Jun 2003

Re: Re: Can Someone Tell Me Why the Bills Stink On the Road?

Originally posted by Wys Guy

Did I miss something?

The O has averaged fewer than 18 PPG at home in regulation, and we've allowed 21 PPG. All against some of the worst Os and Ds in the league.

Other than the first two games of the season, the Bills are playing some of the overall worst football in the league.

Since then, the O has averaged fewer than 8 PPG since then.
                        yet we are 4-3....hey, could be a lot worse...if Moulds comes back healthy soon, and we continue to pound the rock with Travis, we will be tough to beat.
                        Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                          We better hope so. A loss here and it ain't gonna be pretty, especially if we get blown out.

For us to prove that we're anything other than a team in virtually total chaos and disarray, IMO we'll have to play good O and put up at least 20 points against a decent but not great D, and hold them to under 20-24.

KC is limited in their offense. As many have pointed out, their O has no real deep threat although there are plenty of long-medium threats. But their O simply doesn't matchup well for us. What they do best we struggle against the most.

Should be very interesting.

Our O doesn't match up well against any team that has decent DTs simply b/c of our interior line woes. Unfortunately for us, KC has the DTs to force us to play the way we've been playing lately.

Again, should be very interesting.
                          Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• The_Philster
                            • Jul 2002

Our O doesn't match up well against any team that has decent DTs simply b/c of our interior line woes. Unfortunately for us, KC has the DTs to force us to play the way we've been playing lately.
                            I still have to wonder how much of an improvement it would be to replace Pucillo with Sullivan. Sure he played OK this past Sunday...but one game does not a season make.
                            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

Re: Re: Can Someone Tell Me Why the Bills Stink On the Road?

i'm not one to brag but i'm good wherever i do it.:snicker2:
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X