• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muck
    • Jul 2002

Coaching Candidate Rumors Abound

Figured I'd pass this along.......

COUGHLIN, FASSEL CANDIDATES FOR BILLS' GIG?

As head coach Gregg Williams' tenure as the captain of a fast-sinking ship in Buffalo moves toward an almost certain end, league insiders are starting to catch wind of potential replacements for the Bills.

Two names to watch, we're hearing, are Tom Coughlin and Jim Fassel.

Coughlin was fired by the Jags after the 2002 season, and we hear that he wants to get back into the game so badly that he might resurface as the new head coach at Army next year, if he can't land a pro gig.

Fassel is in trouble in New York, even though Sunday's stirring victory over the Vikings might help him turn it around in a relatively weak NFC East.

We're also hearing that Coughlin could be a candidate to take over for Fassel in New York, if the veteran coach gets fired. As one league insider told us, Coughlin is a "good coach that got bounced for all the wrong reasons." The source says that Coughlin needs to have a solid personnel/contract guy in order to succeed.

Stay tuned on this one. Last night's 38-5 debacle at Arrowhead likely has sealed Williams' fate, and we wouldn't be surprised to see him get canned once the Bills fall officially out of playoff contention, with either Dick LeBeau or defensive coordinator Jerry Gray taking the reins for the remainder of the season.

And at the risk of sounding even more cynical than we usually do, we suspect that Gray will have the inside track to the interim coach thing, since it virtually ensures that he'll "interview" for the permanent vacancy, thereby guaranteeing compliance with the league's minority hiring guidelines.

link
  • Wys Guy
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

I'd rather see us wait than sign Fassel or some other only average coach. We're not going anywhere next year no matter how you slice it w/ the lines that we have and QB play. So not by design, it'll be another rebuilding/retooling year much to everyone's dismay and outrage. I'd rather hire a good coach the offseason after. Timing could be huge.

Who knows, someone may pop up. Some DC or OC that wants a HC position.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Fassel would be fine. In the Giant's last 4 games (1-3) this season,, they WIDELY "out-stasticked" the opposition...turnovers killed'em and if there's anything a coach has the smallest amount of control, over ,that's it. He drug the Gints out of the doldrums last season and got into the playoffs. He also (hint hint ) canned his OC last year and took over the play calls.

I don't think Grey has a chance.
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

It is PFT, but I'll run with it. If Coughlin enters upon Williams exiting, I don't mind if Gilbride stays. It seems Coughlin and Gilbride worked well together in the past, I think mainly because Tom knows how to handle Gilbride and keep him in check.

Williams can take Gray with him allowing LeBeau to take the DC job. I'd like to see this done sooner then later.

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

PFT makes a lot of stuff up. But I hope they're at least right about having to hire an interim head coach.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
            PFT makes a lot of stuff up. But I hope they're at least right about having to hire an interim head coach.
            PFT broke the Milloy story before anybody else...but I DO NOT want Fassel...Tom Coughlin.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

We need discipline and the only guy who can bring that is Coughlin.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Tom Coughlin all the way!!!!!

Comment

• Two4trippn
                  • Oct 2003

What about Bill Cowher? If you think its tough being a Bills fan, talk to a Stillers fan. Cowher doesnt have a great track record with KG or TD for that matter however he might fit this town's desire for an accountable character at the helm.

Comment

• Billzz
                    • Sep 2003

We have enough spittle flying around already. He is a good fit in Puttsburg and should stay there for the rest of his career.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by Two4trippn
                      What about Bill Cowher? If you think its tough being a Bills fan, talk to a Stillers fan. Cowher doesnt have a great track record with KG or TD for that matter however he might fit this town's desire for an accountable character at the helm.

Hell would freeze before TD would bring in the guy who cost him his GM position in Pittsburgh.

Another name that is a possibility is Brain Billick (sp?) Supposedly he's on thin ice in Baltimore and may not be back next year. I could handle him coaching in Buffalo

Comment

• Stewie
                        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                        • Aug 2002

Dennis Green people, Dennis Green. He has a better winning % than any of the other coaches in this thread.
                        Originally posted by Topdog
                        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        I love Weiner.
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        also cheese

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

You can argue that choice with Honey and TopDog

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB
                            Dennis Green people, Dennis Green. He has a better winning % than any of the other coaches in this thread.

He wants to be a HC and GM. Thats not happening here.

Comment

• Travis Hunter
                              • Jul 2002

Dennis Greene never impressed me. He never won anything.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X