PDA

View Full Version : Bears vs Bills: postgame review

Ingtar33
09-29-2002, 06:03 PM
Well, what more could be said about Bledsoe and that offense? I know if I were to try and elaborate I'd just run out of superlatives in my attempt to describe what has got to be one of the best O's in the league. Well, what follows is my weekly review of this latest Bills game... we'll take a look at the positives first.

The Positives:

1) Bledsoe throws for 4 TDs, 77% completions, 320+yards.
2) The O-line holds the Bears to just 2 sacks and very little pressure (one of the sacks was a coverage sack), while giving the Bills ground game some good holes. BMW (Big Mike Williams) dominated LB and DE alike, and recovered a nearly costly fumble by Bryson at the 2 yard line. Only 1 penalty was called against the line (a false start by M.Sullivan), and R.Brown (finally playing like a pro-bowler) regularly opened up holes on some big runs to the left side
3) Winfield and Wire were amazing against the run, and did a great job against the pass.
4) Pat Williams lead the D with 10 tackles, and generally dominated pro-bowl center Kreutz, limiting the A-Train to just 48 yards on the ground.
5) Gilbride called another great game for the Bills, at times it was quite clear that the Bears didn't know what to expect... and he caught them in several situations with the wrong personnel on the field. He adjusted well to what the Bears D was doing in the third quarter, in time to get the Bills O back in gear. He also has added more wrinkles into the O, adding several more formations, working the TE into the passing game, and adding more play action.
6) Special teams and M.Hollas had another solid game.
7) Grey finally gets the Bills to stop the run when the opposing team gets the Bills into a nickel or dime D. Good adjustments in general, he needs to find a way to get pressure without a blitz.

The Negatives:

1) Watson still is taking too many penalties. He is still the #1 target for the opposition, getting thrown at on nearly every pass. Grey has to find some way to limit Watson's vulnerability when he is on the field, as Bostic surly isn't the answer.
2) Sullivan did a poor job moving outside against both the blitz and stunts... giving up a sack and allowing Bledsoe to get hit several times... this might seem a little picky but the O-Line played so well this was the worst I could find.
3) Bryson and Henry both putting the ball on the carpet... those backs need to take better care of the ball.
4) The block on the field goal put this game into OT, #97 J.Bannan was run over by the bears probowl tackle, Big Cat Williams for the block.
5) Two straight weeks without a turnover.

Conclusion
The Bills beat a good team today, and without that Henry fumble this might have been a blowout. Once the Bills get all aspects of their game together this team might just make a run at the playoffs. Bledsoe continues his insane play, piling up yards left and right, and has now gone 3 games without an INT. How much more can we expect from him? His completion percentage is no longer even human (after 4 games). Boy is this team a riot to watch!
:gobills:

mybills
09-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Without that 2nd QT non-touch down by Terrell it could have been a blow out too! Other than that, I agree.
btw, I enjoy reading your post game threads! :up:

shelby
09-29-2002, 06:50 PM
wish i could have seen the game...thanks for the analysis Ingtar
:D

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Great assessment.

Let me add:
Drew is the real deal!

The_Philster
09-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Great assessment.

Let me add:
Drew is the real deal!

Ya think? ;)

BillsMan80
09-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Maybe...but I am still debating.

ArcticWildMan
09-29-2002, 07:38 PM
I'm not convinced...

:jk:

colin
09-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Ingtar, I am the biggest Pat Williams fan. I think he is a top 5 or 10 DT and should be in the Pro Bowl in a big way. Mike Willy should get there too, the rookie tackle I have seen since Boselli, but much more naturally powerful. Wire only made one real mistake not wrapping up on that tackle before the FG made by Chicago.

What is your take on Moulds? I say he is an uber-WR, and worth his contract.

These games are killing me.

Ingtar33
09-29-2002, 08:59 PM
What’s to be said about Moulds? He had a pile of catches, over 100 yards and a TD. He also made a fabulous catch in OT. I'll be surprised if both Moulds and Price don't finish the year with 90+ catches.

About PW... he did a great job crushing those middle runs by AT, he looked like the dominator he can be... of course I'm going to have to see him do this more than just once every 4 weeks before I start banging the drums for a Pro-Bowl appearance.

BMW was amazing again, and already looks like the best O-lineman on the team... think about this, he has been called for just one holding penalty all year, and has only been whistled on one false start! Throw in the fact that he gets better every week, and the general lack of big RT names in the NFL, and BMW should find his way to the Pro-Bowl this year (of course that all depends on him playing like he has to date). Of course I can’t slight the rest of the O-line… this unit is getting better with each passing week.

Rebecky
09-29-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the analysis -- I couldn't see the game. Read the play by play -- sounded like a superb offense and at least an OK "d".

Our offense is SB quality -- can our D hold up well enough to get us to the playoffs??

Ingtar33
09-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Rebecky
Thanks for the analysis -- I couldn't see the game. Read the play by play -- sounded like a superb offense and at least an OK "d".

Our offense is SB quality -- can our D hold up well enough to get us to the playoffs??

Not right now... If our D can find a way to keep the other team under 20pts the rest of the way... yah, then we'll be good enough to make the playoffs... until then, we'll see our team win and lose games by scores of 30-28 or 34-30.