PDA

View Full Version : One very big positive last night

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 10:45 AM
The HDTV broadcast looked great!:up:

ESPN has a problem though. I've watched some HDTV football games at the TV store when they demonstrate the product on the floor. One of the selling points was the letterbox coverage. If done right, you should see the routes run deep into the secondary, or at least see a lot more of a return game.

But the cameramen and directors still center the line of scrimmage down the middle of the shot, showing wasted space 5-10 yards behind the running back. If they would line up the Shot with the tailback lined up on the edge of the picture, we should be able to get all 22 guys in the camera shot just before the snap.

Basically, they are wasting the technology. But they are using the same camera shots for their normal broadcasts as well.

One other irritant- Can they move the time/score graphic to the cornrer of the HDTV picture? In normal TV, it is. But with the extra space on the sides, it looks like it's in the middle of the shot- kind of in the way.

Ð
10-27-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm holding out for the IMAX version. HDTV is overrated

Valerie
10-27-2003, 10:49 AM
I guess I didn't notice a difference. Is this something that everyone who has a TV has or just people with certain types of cable and/or the Dish?

One negative I noticed last night, was stupid Joe Theisman. He's such a moron! I swear, he wasn't even watching the game. He misspoke a few times last night. Watching a Sunday night game always reinforces why I HATE them. Joe Theisman ruins the game for me with his stupidity!

Historian
10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The HDTV broadcast looked great!:up:

I watched three HDTV games yesterday...Vikes-NYG, Jets-Eagles, and the Bills. All were amazing looking!

I especially love being able to see the wrinkle lines forming on Coach Manboobs face! Its too delicious!

The Spaz
10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
You have to have a HDTV ready TV and for now only certain broadcasting station have it!:)

Valerie
10-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz You have to have a HDTV ready TV and for now only certain broadcasting station have it!:)
How do you know if you have it?

The Spaz
10-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Jaded 7

How do you know if you have it?

Does you TV instruction manual say HDTV ready? Also you if it is you may have to call your local cable or satellite company to allow the service to you I think.:)

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 11:15 AM
I guess I didn't notice a difference. Is this something that everyone who has a TV has or just people with certain types of cable and/or the Dish?

HDTV does 2 things- makes the picture 10 times clearer and gives you the same dimensions a movie screen does (letterbox)

Your regular TV is incapable of receiving the signal. It does require a special TV

I attached a picture below to give you a "feel" for what I'm talking about. Between the black lines is what a normal TV picture would be like- Outstide the black lines is what the same shot would look like in HDTV (but a MUCH sharper picture)

Ebenezer
10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
But the cameramen and directors still center the line of scrimmage down the middle of the shot, showing wasted space 5-10 yards behind the running back. If they would line up the Shot with the tailback lined up on the edge of the picture, we should be able to get all 22 guys in the camera shot just before the snap.

Somebody told them to stop that somewhere in the second quarter. It is time to remove the artsy-fartsy's from all sports broadcasts. Their decisions suck. Ask people who have watched sports for more than 30 years about angles. They are ruining hockey...you can't see a thing.

Valerie
10-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz Does you TV instruction manual say HDTV ready? Also you if it is you may have to call your local cable or satellite company to allow the service to you I think.:)
No clue. I don't read instruction manuals. lol

Originally posted by Dozerdog HDTV does 2 things- makes the picture 10 times clearer and gives you the same dimensions a movie screen does (letterbox)

Your regular TV is incapable of receiving the signal. It does require a special TV

I attached a picture below to give you a "feel" for what I'm talking about. Between the black lines is what a normal TV picture would be like- Outstide the black lines is what the same shot would look like in HDTV (but a MUCH sharper picture)
Thanks, Dozer. I guess I don't have it, but I really don't know. lol

The Spaz
10-27-2003, 11:39 AM

No clue. I don't read instruction manuals. lol

Thanks, Dozer. I guess I don't have it, but I really don't know. lol

How new is your TV?:)

stuckincincy
10-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Given this season, what pleasure is derived from a "crisp" slaughter? :D

Ð
10-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Jaded, if you bought your TV within the last year or so and it cost like $3000 + then it might be HDTV, otherwise fuggetaboudit.

Valerie
10-27-2003, 01:07 PM
I bought my TV in April of this year. But I only spent $500 on it, I think. Do I look that crazy to you? lol If I'm going to spend $3,000.00 on something, it's going to be something I can wear not something electronic. lol