• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

The REAL problem with HC's under TD.

TD will never hire a big name stud coach. Ever.

Remember what happened to TD in Pittsburgh? He was outmaneuvered by a powerful HC in Cowher. TD hired the OC and LeBeau. Grey and KG have contracts into next year. GW does not. The whole system is set up to make sure that the HC here will never get a big enough power base to oust TD.

No big name coach will come and work under those conditions. When he does fire GW, he will hire some other no name coordinator, then hire his staff around him.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

He was thrown out by the owner you can't win in that situation IMO!

Comment

• Travis Hunter
      • Jul 2002

Re: The REAL problem with HC's under TD.

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Remember what happened to TD in Pittsburgh? He was outmaneuvered by a powerful HC in Cowher. TD hired the OC and LeBeau. Grey and KG have contracts into next year. GW does not. The whole system is set up to make sure that the HC here will never get a big enough power base to oust TD.

No big name coach will come and work under those conditions. When he does fire GW, he will hire some other no name coordinator, then hire his staff around him.
      YEP.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Bmax
        • Aug 2003

i don't think so ralph still signs the checks......Wilson has a history of going with coaches with experience after coaching failures .....i say it will be either lebeau or a ex head coach who is looking for work..

I still like couglin or nick saban lsu head coach - saban was a dc for clevland under belichek.....and was a position coach for other teams in the nfl....Belichek loves him.....saban is only 51 and is known for his tough def. and open downfield attack ...i guess josh reed would know better than anybody....

bmax

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Re: The REAL problem with HC's under TD.

Nice observation. Could be so. Ouch.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• helmetguy
            Touch the helmet for luck
            • Sep 2002

Don't forget, when TD left Pussburgh, his contract had expired. One of the two (TD or Cowher) had to go, but Cowher had three years left on his deal (at $2 million per). Fire Cowher and Rooney still had to pony up $6 million, unless Cowher was hired elsewhere. It was an economic decision not to resign TD in Pussburgh, that's all. Look at how Pussbrgh has done WITHOUT TD to bring in the talent. Yep! That Cowher is one great talent evaluator. Tommy Maddox looks like the second coming of Terry Bradshaw, alright!
            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
              Don't forget, when TD left Pussburgh, his contract had expired. One of the two (TD or Cowher) had to go, but Cowher had three years left on his deal (at $2 million per). Fire Cowher and Rooney still had to pony up $6 million, unless Cowher was hired elsewhere. It was an economic decision not to resign TD in Pussburgh, that's all. Look at how Pussbrgh has done WITHOUT TD to bring in the talent. Yep! That Cowher is one great talent evaluator. Tommy Maddox looks like the second coming of Terry Bradshaw, alright!
              I'm not saying Pittsburgh made the right call. TD lost his job because of Cowher. Period.

Nick Sabin will be coaching the Chicago Bears next year.

Comment

• helmetguy
                • Sep 2002

I'm not saying Pittsburgh made the right call. TD lost his job because of Cowher. Period.

Absolutely correct. And Pussburgh hasn't been the same ever since. At least TD brought in replacements for all the Free Agents they lost, and remained consistently competitive.

-Deep Purple

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

But TD is a genius. How can a genius lose a power struggle?
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Well when the "owner" says your out your out!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

They thought Cowher was a Super Genius.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

They thought Cowher was a Super Genius.
                        Yeah Cowher has the biggest mouth but can he evaluate and win the big games?

Comment

• helmetguy
                          • Sep 2002

$6 million reasons-the balance Rooney would have had to pay Cowher if he fired him. You make the call!

-Deep Purple

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Sorry EE, but your rationale doesn't make sense. When GW was hired, the pickings were slim and we really only had two choices...Fox or Williams (Marvin Lewis sandbagged his interview, so he wasn't an option). Neither option was a guaranteed success story. As good as Fox looks this year, he wasn't exactly up for coach of the year awards last season. The jury is still out on him. Give him another year and see how he performs.

I'll just wait and see who TD brings in next year. There are some quality coaches on the hot seat that may be available next season. If he ignores all of them for some unknown, then I'll worry. Until then, I'll trust TD. He managed to get an incredible amount of talent on our team, I have faith he'll correct his one big mistake and get a good coach in here.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I agree that the perception of TD is that he micromanages the team. The trouble is I've never seen hard evidence that he does. We all assume that TD hired KG and DL, but we don't for a fact know that GW had no input and TD imposed those two guys on GW. That could be the case, but I'd rather see the proof before I assume it. There are other strong GMs in the league who are successful. Until I see the evidence, I'm going to continue to assume that TD is simply a strong GM who makes the final decision on player personnel, and not a megalomaniac who has to control everything.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X