PDA

View Full Version : The REAL problem with HC's under TD.

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2003, 12:31 PM
TD will never hire a big name stud coach. Ever.

Remember what happened to TD in Pittsburgh? He was outmaneuvered by a powerful HC in Cowher. TD hired the OC and LeBeau. Grey and KG have contracts into next year. GW does not. The whole system is set up to make sure that the HC here will never get a big enough power base to oust TD.

No big name coach will come and work under those conditions. When he does fire GW, he will hire some other no name coordinator, then hire his staff around him.

The Spaz
10-27-2003, 12:33 PM
He was thrown out by the owner you can't win in that situation IMO!

Turf
10-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Remember what happened to TD in Pittsburgh? He was outmaneuvered by a powerful HC in Cowher. TD hired the OC and LeBeau. Grey and KG have contracts into next year. GW does not. The whole system is set up to make sure that the HC here will never get a big enough power base to oust TD.

No big name coach will come and work under those conditions. When he does fire GW, he will hire some other no name coordinator, then hire his staff around him.

YEP.

Bmax
10-27-2003, 12:39 PM
i don't think so ralph still signs the checks......Wilson has a history of going with coaches with experience after coaching failures .....i say it will be either lebeau or a ex head coach who is looking for work..

I still like couglin or nick saban lsu head coach - saban was a dc for clevland under belichek.....and was a position coach for other teams in the nfl....Belichek loves him.....saban is only 51 and is known for his tough def. and open downfield attack ...i guess josh reed would know better than anybody....

bmax

stuckincincy
10-27-2003, 12:40 PM

Nice observation. Could be so. Ouch.

helmetguy
10-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Don't forget, when TD left Pussburgh, his contract had expired. One of the two (TD or Cowher) had to go, but Cowher had three years left on his deal (at $2 million per). Fire Cowher and Rooney still had to pony up $6 million, unless Cowher was hired elsewhere. It was an economic decision not to resign TD in Pussburgh, that's all. Look at how Pussbrgh has done WITHOUT TD to bring in the talent. Yep! That Cowher is one great talent evaluator. Tommy Maddox looks like the second coming of Terry Bradshaw, alright!

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Don't forget, when TD left Pussburgh, his contract had expired. One of the two (TD or Cowher) had to go, but Cowher had three years left on his deal (at $2 million per). Fire Cowher and Rooney still had to pony up $6 million, unless Cowher was hired elsewhere. It was an economic decision not to resign TD in Pussburgh, that's all. Look at how Pussbrgh has done WITHOUT TD to bring in the talent. Yep! That Cowher is one great talent evaluator. Tommy Maddox looks like the second coming of Terry Bradshaw, alright!

I'm not saying Pittsburgh made the right call. TD lost his job because of Cowher. Period.

Nick Sabin will be coaching the Chicago Bears next year. :couch:

helmetguy
10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm not saying Pittsburgh made the right call. TD lost his job because of Cowher. Period.

Absolutely correct. And Pussburgh hasn't been the same ever since. At least TD brought in replacements for all the Free Agents they lost, and remained consistently competitive.

Jan Reimers
10-27-2003, 03:26 PM
But TD is a genius. How can a genius lose a power struggle?

The Spaz
10-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Well when the "owner" says your out your out!

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2003, 03:42 PM

They thought Cowher was a Super Genius.

The Spaz
10-27-2003, 03:44 PM

They thought Cowher was a Super Genius.

Yeah Cowher has the biggest mouth but can he evaluate and win the big games?

helmetguy
10-27-2003, 05:44 PM

$6 million reasons-the balance Rooney would have had to pay Cowher if he fired him. You make the call!

ArcticWildMan
10-27-2003, 06:09 PM
:shakeno: Sorry EE, but your rationale doesn't make sense. When GW was hired, the pickings were slim and we really only had two choices...Fox or Williams (Marvin Lewis sandbagged his interview, so he wasn't an option). Neither option was a guaranteed success story. As good as Fox looks this year, he wasn't exactly up for coach of the year awards last season. The jury is still out on him. Give him another year and see how he performs.

I'll just wait and see who TD brings in next year. There are some quality coaches on the hot seat that may be available next season. If he ignores all of them for some unknown, then I'll worry. Until then, I'll trust TD. He managed to get an incredible amount of talent on our team, I have faith he'll correct his one big mistake and get a good coach in here.

TigerJ
10-27-2003, 08:37 PM
I agree that the perception of TD is that he micromanages the team. The trouble is I've never seen hard evidence that he does. We all assume that TD hired KG and DL, but we don't for a fact know that GW had no input and TD imposed those two guys on GW. That could be the case, but I'd rather see the proof before I assume it. There are other strong GMs in the league who are successful. Until I see the evidence, I'm going to continue to assume that TD is simply a strong GM who makes the final decision on player personnel, and not a megalomaniac who has to control everything.