PDA

View Full Version : Martin Biron is NHL Defensive Player of the Week

pyrrhonist
10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Courtesy of TSN.ca, Marty Biron is the Defensive Player of the Week for last week:

Kovalchuk, Biron win weekly honors

10/27/2003

NEW YORK - Atlanta Thrashers forward Ilya Kovalchuk, who posted a League-leading five goals and recorded a point on seven of his club’s eight tallies, has been named the National Hockey League's Offensive Player of the Week for the period ending Sunday, Oct. 26.

Buffalo Sabres goaltender Martin Biron, who compiled a 3-0-0 record, 1.92 goals-against average and .940 save percentage in four appearances, has been named the League's Defensive Player of the Week.

Ottawa Senators forward Marian Hossa (1-4-5 in two games) and defenseman Chris Phillips (0-1-1, +1, 20:34 ice time per game) were runners-up for the offensive and defensive honors, respectively.

Kovalchuk tied for third in the NHL and led the Thrashers with seven points in three games, including his second hat trick in six days and third of his career in Thursday’s 4-2 victory against Nashville. Kovalchuk took a team-leading 18 shots, including 10 on Saturday against Florida to match his team record and career high. He posted a plus rating in two out of the three contests and finished the week with a plus-two rating. Kovalchuk led Atlanta forwards with an average ice time of 25:50, including a career-best 28:40 Tuesday at Tampa Bay.

Kovalchuk joins Pittsburgh’s Mario Lemieux (1992-93) as the only player to open the regular season with consecutive Player of the Week honors since the award was established in 1980-81.

Biron backstopped the Sabres to three consecutive road victories, averaging 30 saves per game in victories Thursday at Los Angeles (5-1), Friday at Anaheim (5-2) and Sunday at Colorado (3-1).

JD
10-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Marty deserves it.

Wow, Pyatt being named #1 star of the night, AND Biron achieving this, very nice to see Sabres being recognized for their efforts.

Myers57
10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
:clap:

alyson
10-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Yay Marty! This is a good boost for him I think. I'm still riding high from our three road wins - they made up for how bad I felt after Vancouver. Let's hope we keep this up at home...

JD
10-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Didnt he get this last year too after his 3 shutouts, but then sucked donkey balls shortly after, WHOOPS, I MEAN NO! THAT WONT HAPPEN!!!! (knock on wood).

BironsGirl43
11-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Since I wasn't around earlier to say it..

I just wanted to say it now..

HELL YEAH!!!! Congrats Marty! Many more to come.. :)