PDA

View Full Version : Calling out those who think that the Bills suck from Top to Bottom

Ebenezer
10-27-2003, 06:33 PM
There are a few people out there who thinks that the entire organization rots from TD on down to the Waterboy.

Have fun with this one. Construct me your dream team. BUT!! You just cannot throw people into slots. I want you to start with the firing of Butler and Philips and tell me who you would have hired, drafted, etc. Thus, you cannot break the rules of the salary cap. You cannot hire coaches, GMs or assistants who were under contract. You cannot arbitrarily trade draft picks. You cannot "sign" players that were under contract.

Tell me! Who would you have gotten for your:

GM
Coach
QB
other free agents
2001 1st round draft choice
2002 1st round draft choice
2003 1st round draft choice...

go ahead...take as much time as you want...except for coach I don't think you'd get much better than you have now...REMEMBER THE SALARY CAP!!

L.A. Playa
10-27-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm sure that "football expert" Wys will be here soon

ArcticWildMan
10-27-2003, 06:38 PM
I'll be watching this thread with much anticipation. I want to see how all the Einsteins would have done it.

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Building a team from hindsight-

ArcticWildMan
10-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Building a team from hindsight-

Exactly.

L.A. Playa
10-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Lets face it the talent appears to be in place, no team is perfect

KC looked perfect last night lets play Wys though They have no WR's DB's are weak the Bills just did not expose them and their depth is subject

Bledsoe is having a tough time yes but he has the goods to lead us

Mc Gahee will be something special I believe he is a better back than Tomlinson and he gains yards on a worse line than ours

Lets face it this team is young the core has not played together for a long time they are still learning each other

Most experts predicted this team to be anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 probably miss the playoffs but look out next year

we are 4-4 and yes the losses have been UGLY but we are right on track to where most experts predicted a productive off season (and New head coach) and next year could be what we all want

We all got really excited with that 2-0 start and hey i am not writing this year off I beleive we can always still do it till the numbers say we cant

so i will believe in 12-4 till it is impossible

yes I know our flaws but I would rather be positive and believe we can pull it together and overcome those flaws

L.A. Playa
10-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Ever notice when you call the "football experts" out they all are silent

Billzz
10-27-2003, 06:51 PM
I'm no expert but I am working on it right now. The draft pick is tough.

WG
10-27-2003, 07:00 PM
I would have taken better gambles.

McGahee isn't helping us at all!!!
Neither is Kelsay
Neither is Crowell
Neither is Aiken
Neither is McGee

Those were our picks in rounds 1-4 this past season.

I wouldn't have signed Milloy or Reese and would have kept some stinkin' chemistry with Wire and PP, who Oh BTW happens to be outplaying Reese whenever he's in there.

Instead, I would have used the money we used to buy Milloy for Thornton.

How's Thornton, Williams, and Schobel grab ya. Who cares who the LDE would have been, we'd have at least had some pressure.

I would have gone after Lance Johnstone as our other OLB. He can play both the run and pass. Posey is useless v. the run. I never would have signed Fletcher and would have either signed William Joseph or EJ Henderson from the draft. Neither would have been a bigger gamble, but both would have been at positions where we need players. Who knows, perhaps EJ could have replaced Fletcher.

I would have started Sullivan and drafted nothing but linemen other than Henderson in the first 4 rounds this past offseason.

I wouldn't have touched Kelsay w/ a 10 foot pole.

I would have taken a look at McCardell. I'd have signed a QB from somewhere to back us up. Blake would have been fine and could have at least started now. You and others say he's worse, but you know, since we're talking about "teams around them", how do we know? He's never had a team around him at all and has performed about equally. How would he do with what Drew's had??

I'd say this isn't so much a question of what was not done, but one of what was done.

We didn't need any of our picks from the first 4 rounds. All draft picks are a gamble. You can't avoid that. But if you don't fill your needs, you're certainly not gonna have draft picks at other positions fill them. Makes sense.

We had absolutely no OL to speak of 3 seasons ago. Jennings and Williams are the only two linemen decent who were brought aboard. That's it. Sullivan, a fifth rounder, Pucillo, 7th, Sobieski, 5th. The problem is our lines. So why were we using 4th round picks to grab WRs that we had like 10 of at the time? CBs too? Why did we take a LB at 3rd? You tellin' me that there wasn't a single potentially useful guard or DT then? I don't believe it.

Meanwhile we pick up guys like Tucker on FAcy. Boy, wow! I would have kept Conaty.

How many of our roster spots are new this year? What, like a third? At some point you have to start thinking about chemistry too. It's not happening. One season of starting isn't enough for young players to "develop."

WG
10-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Either way, to think that Donahoe is some sort of genius is a blind assertion.

WG
10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
Lets face it the talent appears to be in place, no team is perfect

KC looked perfect last night lets play Wys though They have no WR's DB's are weak the Bills just did not expose them and their depth is subject

Bledsoe is having a tough time yes but he has the goods to lead us

Mc Gahee will be something special I believe he is a better back than Tomlinson and he gains yards on a worse line than ours

Lets face it this team is young the core has not played together for a long time they are still learning each other

Most experts predicted this team to be anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 probably miss the playoffs but look out next year

we are 4-4 and yes the losses have been UGLY but we are right on track to where most experts predicted a productive off season (and New head coach) and next year could be what we all want

We all got really excited with that 2-0 start and hey i am not writing this year off I beleive we can always still do it till the numbers say we cant

so i will believe in 12-4 till it is impossible

yes I know our flaws but I would rather be positive and believe we can pull it together and overcome those flaws

The talent isn't in place p.

What, Pucillo? Teague? Adams? Denney? Kelsay?

We have holes right and left. \

You're right, KC looked perfect last night, but it had more to do with our poor play than their flawless execution. All thru the weekend everyone was saying how their D was overrated and it's nowhere near the top of the league. If we made them look good, then it can't be w/ "the talent in place."

The team is worse than last year w/ the same coaching. It has to be more than coaching.

Bledsoe is extremely limited!

This team isn't as young as you say either. Fletcher, Adams, Williams, Posey, Milloy, Drew, Brown, Teague, Moore, Gash, Moulds are no spring chickens. Most are well into their primes or past them.

WG
10-27-2003, 07:06 PM
And for anyone thinking we sunk to an all season low yesterday, I've got news for ya. Just wait. Again, I will guarantee that Drew hasn't come close this season.

L.A. Playa
10-27-2003, 07:09 PM
there is our "football expert" I say lets petition the Bills to make Wys the new General Manager he has all the answers and knows all about football give him a shot

Ebenezer
10-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Neither is Kelsay
Neither is Crowell
Neither is Aiken
Neither is McGee

I wouldn't have signed Milloy or Reese and would have kept some stinkin' chemistry with Wire and PP, who Oh BTW happens to be outplaying Reese whenever he's in there.

How's Thornton, Williams, and Schobel grab ya. Who cares who the LDE would have been, we'd have at least had some pressure.

I would have gone after Lance Johnstone as our other OLB. He can play both the run and pass. Posey is useless v. the run. I never would have signed Fletcher and would have either signed William Joseph or EJ Henderson from the draft. Neither would have been a bigger gamble, but both would have been at positions where we need players. Who knows, perhaps EJ could have replaced Fletcher.

I would have started Sullivan and drafted nothing but linemen other than Henderson in the first 4 rounds this past offseason.

I would have taken a look at McCardell. I'd have signed a QB from somewhere to back us up. Blake would have been fine and could have at least started now. You and others say he's worse, but you know, since we're talking about "teams around them", how do we know? He's never had a team around him at all and has performed about equally. How would he do with what Drew's had??

I'd say this isn't so much a question of what was not done, but one of what was done.

We didn't need any of our picks from the first 4 rounds. All draft picks are a gamble. You can't avoid that. But if you don't fill your needs, you're certainly not gonna have draft picks at other positions fill them. Makes sense.

We had absolutely no OL to speak of 3 seasons ago. Jennings and Williams are the only two linemen decent who were brought aboard. That's it. Sullivan, a fifth rounder, Pucillo, 7th, Sobieski, 5th. The problem is our lines. So why were we using 4th round picks to grab WRs that we had like 10 of at the time? CBs too? Why did we take a LB at 3rd? You tellin' me that there wasn't a single potentially useful guard or DT then? I don't believe it.

Meanwhile we pick up guys like Tucker on FAcy. Boy, wow! I would have kept Conaty.

How many of our roster spots are new this year? What, like a third? At some point you have to start thinking about chemistry too. It's not happening. One season of starting isn't enough for young players to "develop."

I'm still waiting to see your 53...coach?? QB?? GM?? Again, you fail to answer to answer the basic questions and focus on the bottom of the roster...I did not ask for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks from this year...it is all a crap shoot because you don't know who is going to be picked...show me another team getting big production out of all 4 of their picks!

L.A. Playa
10-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

I'm still waiting to see your 53...coach?? QB?? GM?? Again, you fail to answer to answer the basic questions and focus on the bottom of the roster...I did not ask for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks from this year...it is all a crap shoot because you don't know who is going to be picked...show me another team getting big production out of all 4 of their picks!

Excellent post

lets look at the first round

1 1 Cincinnati Palmer, Carson QB 6-5 232 Southern California
2 2 Detroit Rogers, Charles WR 6-2 202 Michigan State
3 3 Houston Johnson, Andre WR 6-2 230 Miami (Fla.)
4 4 N.Y. Jets (from Chicago) Robertson, Dewayne DT 6-1 317 Kentucky
5 5 Dallas Newman, Terence CB 5-10 189 Kansas State
6 6 New Orleans (from Arizona) Sullivan, Johnathan DT 6-3 313 Georgia
7 7 Jacksonville Leftwich, Byron QB 6-5 241 Marshall
8 8 Carolina Gross, Jordan OT 6-5 300 Utah
9 9 Minnesota (Passed at 7, pick exercised here) Williams, Kevin DE 6-5 304 Oklahoma State
10 10 Baltimore Suggs, Terrell DE 6-3 262 Arizona State
11 11 Seattle Trufant, Marcus CB 5-11 199 Washington State
12 12 St. Louis Kennedy, Jimmy DT 6-4 322 Penn State
13 13 New England (from Washington through N.Y. Jets and Chicago) Warren, Ty DT 6-5 307 Texas A&M
14 14 Chicago (from Buffalo through New England) Haynes, Michael DE 6-4 281 Penn State
15 15 Philadelphia (from San Diego) McDougle, Jerome DE 6-2 264 Miami (Fla.)
16 16 Pittsburgh (from Kansas City) Polamalu, Troy SS 5-10 206 Southern California
17 17 Arizona (from New Orleans) Johnson, Bryant WR 6-2 214 Penn State
18 18 Arizona (from Miami through New Orleans) Pace, Calvin DE 6-4 269 Wake Forest
19 19 Baltimore (from New England) Boller, Kyle QB 6-3 234 California
20 20 Denver Foster, George OT 6-5 338 Georgia
21 21 Cleveland Faine, Jeff C 6-3 303 Notre Dame
22 22 Chicago (from N.Y. Jets) Grossman, Rex QB 6-1 217 Florida
23 23 Buffalo (from Atlanta) McGahee, Willis RB 6-0 223 Miami (Fla.)

How many of those players have had impact on their team this season??????

Mc Gahee will be worth the risk in my opinion (I am a Mc Gahee fan I would root for him on any team) just please show which of these guys have had a huge impact or these guys too

24 24 Indianapolis Clark, Dallas TE 6-3 257 Iowa
25 25 N.Y. Giants Joseph, William DT 6-5 308 Miami (Fla.)
26 26 San Francisco Harris, Kwame OT 6-7 310 Stanford
27 27 Kansas City (from Pittsburgh) Johnson, Larry RB 6-1 228 Penn State
28 28 Tennessee Woolfolk, Andre CB 6-1 197 Oklahoma
29 29 Green Bay Barnett, Nick OLB 6-2 236 Oregon State
30 30 San Diego (from Philadelphia) Davis, Sammy CB 6-0 186 Texas A&M
31 31 Oakland Asomugha, Nnamdi CB 6-2 213 California
32 32 Oakland (from Tampa Bay) Brayton, Tyler DE 6-6 277 Colorado

Ill give you maybe Nick Barnett but besides him who ??? right now

ArcticWildMan
10-27-2003, 07:27 PM

Neither is Kelsay
Neither is Crowell
Neither is Aiken
Neither is McGee

Did you follow the draft this year? It was one of the worst draft classes in history!! The talent drop after the 10th pick was amazing. Guys who were picked up in the late 1st round would have been 3rd or 4th rounders in other drafts!!

Thortnton was signed by Cincy LONGGGG before Milloy was even in our sights. Try again :shakeno:

Never would have signed Fletcher????!!! :jawdrop: Are you ****ing high??? The guy set a single season team record for tackles and you bust his chops?? Un-****ing-believable, Mark!! :shakeno:

Shows how much you payed attention to the draft. Linemen with the first 4 picks????? :rolleyes: Kelsay was a STEAL in the second round. List these 4 linemen you would have taken :rolleyes:

Ummm, hello McFly .:pound: ....Blake was given an opportunity to be our starting QB two yeasr ago and HE turned the offer down.

Tellus who we should have drafted. After all the draft was sooooo deep with talent this year :rolleyes:

Chemistry doesn't happen if the coaching staff is a bunch of bumbling idiots.

kardshark19
10-27-2003, 07:40 PM

Excellent post

lets look at the first round

1 1 Cincinnati Palmer, Carson QB 6-5 232 Southern California
2 2 Detroit Rogers, Charles WR 6-2 202 Michigan State
3 3 Houston Johnson, Andre WR 6-2 230 Miami (Fla.)
4 4 N.Y. Jets (from Chicago) Robertson, Dewayne DT 6-1 317 Kentucky
5 5 Dallas Newman, Terence CB 5-10 189 Kansas State
6 6 New Orleans (from Arizona) Sullivan, Johnathan DT 6-3 313 Georgia
7 7 Jacksonville Leftwich, Byron QB 6-5 241 Marshall
8 8 Carolina Gross, Jordan OT 6-5 300 Utah
9 9 Minnesota (Passed at 7, pick exercised here) Williams, Kevin DE 6-5 304 Oklahoma State
10 10 Baltimore Suggs, Terrell DE 6-3 262 Arizona State
11 11 Seattle Trufant, Marcus CB 5-11 199 Washington State
12 12 St. Louis Kennedy, Jimmy DT 6-4 322 Penn State
13 13 New England (from Washington through N.Y. Jets and Chicago) Warren, Ty DT 6-5 307 Texas A&M
14 14 Chicago (from Buffalo through New England) Haynes, Michael DE 6-4 281 Penn State
15 15 Philadelphia (from San Diego) McDougle, Jerome DE 6-2 264 Miami (Fla.)
16 16 Pittsburgh (from Kansas City) Polamalu, Troy SS 5-10 206 Southern California
17 17 Arizona (from New Orleans) Johnson, Bryant WR 6-2 214 Penn State
18 18 Arizona (from Miami through New Orleans) Pace, Calvin DE 6-4 269 Wake Forest
19 19 Baltimore (from New England) Boller, Kyle QB 6-3 234 California
20 20 Denver Foster, George OT 6-5 338 Georgia
21 21 Cleveland Faine, Jeff C 6-3 303 Notre Dame
22 22 Chicago (from N.Y. Jets) Grossman, Rex QB 6-1 217 Florida
23 23 Buffalo (from Atlanta) McGahee, Willis RB 6-0 223 Miami (Fla.)

How many of those players have had impact on their team this season??????

Mc Gahee will be worth the risk in my opinion (I am a Mc Gahee fan I would root for him on any team) just please show which of these guys have had a huge impact or these guys too

24 24 Indianapolis Clark, Dallas TE 6-3 257 Iowa
25 25 N.Y. Giants Joseph, William DT 6-5 308 Miami (Fla.)
26 26 San Francisco Harris, Kwame OT 6-7 310 Stanford
27 27 Kansas City (from Pittsburgh) Johnson, Larry RB 6-1 228 Penn State
28 28 Tennessee Woolfolk, Andre CB 6-1 197 Oklahoma
29 29 Green Bay Barnett, Nick OLB 6-2 236 Oregon State
30 30 San Diego (from Philadelphia) Davis, Sammy CB 6-0 186 Texas A&M
31 31 Oakland Asomugha, Nnamdi CB 6-2 213 California
32 32 Oakland (from Tampa Bay) Brayton, Tyler DE 6-6 277 Colorado

Ill give you maybe Nick Barnett but besides him who ??? right now

Actually, quite a few on that list are making an impact. There are also some 2nd rounders that were picked that could be doing this team good. I like Henry, and don't think our first rounder should have been wasted on McGahee. But that's just me. :miyagi:

Historian
10-27-2003, 07:43 PM
There are a few people out there who thinks that the entire organization rots from TD on down to the Waterboy.

Have fun with this one. Construct me your dream team. BUT!! You just cannot throw people into slots. I want you to start with the firing of Butler and Philips and tell me who you would have hired, drafted, etc. Thus, you cannot break the rules of the salary cap. You cannot hire coaches, GMs or assistants who were under contract. You cannot arbitrarily trade draft picks. You cannot "sign" players that were under contract.

GM
Coach
QB
other free agents

go ahead...take as much time as you want...except for coach I don't think you'd get much better than you have now...REMEMBER THE SALARY CAP!!

I wouldnt have been in this mess to begin with. I wouldn't have fired Wade in the first place....it was unwarranted. Butler too. He walked because he commanded a 3 mil a year salary, while Ralph insulted him with a 1 mil per year offer. I would have stayed the course, shored up the lines, and drafted Pat Ramsey for the future.

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 07:48 PM
GM- Me

Obviously, why bring in a GM if I'm not going to allow him to hire a coach, acquire FA's, or Draft on his own.

Coaches- Tough one- I'll be the coach- but hire some kick ass assistants to do the work.

Ted Cottrell as DC, June Jones as OC

FA- None, really- we cut to the bone and go 3-13 with AVP (Johnson cut too,) obviously keep Moulds & Reuben Brown, sign unknown practice squad player Marc Bulger

Draft- 2001

1)Steve Hutchinson OG Michigan
2)Chris Chambers WR Wisconsin
3)William Peterson CB Western Illinois
3*)Jonas Jennings OT Georgia
4)Correll Buckhalter HB Nebraska
5)Marques Sullivan OT Illinois
6)John Nix Southern DT Miss
7)Dwayne Missouri DE Northwestern

2002- FA's

Fletcher over Cowart, Trade for Bledsoe (no other candidates out there)

I would have loved to get Peppers, and it's not known how this team would finish- but I'll assume the 4th pick in the draft- make a push for C Olin Kreutz from the Bears

1)Williams, Roy SS 6-0 219 Oklahoma
2)Portis, Clinton RB 5-11 204 Miami (Fla.)
3)Send to New Orleans for Willie Roaf (that'ts what KC Paid for him)
3*)McMichael, Randy TE 6-3 247 Georgia
4) Davenport, Najeh FB 6-1 248 Miami (Fla.)
5)Fujita, Scott OLB 6-5 248 California

2003- Goodbye Price, get Spikes, Milloy, pretty much the same defensive talent, including Adams

2003 hindsight draft-

1)KWAME HARRIS OT STANFORD
2)KEN HAMLIN S ARKANSAS
3)DENNIS WEATHERSBY CB OREGON STATE
4)ASANTE SAMUEL CB CENTRAL FLORIDA

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 07:52 PM
there is our "football expert" I say lets petition the Bills to make Wys the new General Manager he has all the answers and knows all about football give him a shot

Go Packers! I'll buy the cheesehead tomorrow

Ebenezer
10-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
I would have stayed the course, shored up the lines, and drafted Pat Ramsey for the future.

You couldn't just stay the course...the team had to be torn down because of the salcap...do you think Butler could have been able to cut his players like that...it actually worked out the Butler didn't want to be here/Ralph fired him. The hardest thing for any "good mother" boss is to get rid of his own people. Who knows how Butler would have handled it but I don't think he would have been able to gut the team.

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Neither is Kelsay
Neither is Crowell
Neither is Aiken
Neither is McGee

Did you follow the draft this year? It was one of the worst draft classes in history!! The talent drop after the 10th pick was amazing. Guys who were picked up in the late 1st round would have been 3rd or 4th rounders in other drafts!!
[/i]

100% agree with you, AWM

The only players we could have gambled on were CB weathersby (1st rd talent shot the week of the draft) and WR Washington (underclassman with a serious injury history- wait- Wys has issues with those)- Both grabbed by the Bengals

C'mon Mel Kiper Wyngnut- give us your draft

lordofgun
10-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
I wouldnt have been in this mess to begin with. I wouldn't have fired Wade in the first place....it was unwarranted. Butler too. He walked because he commanded a 3 mil a year salary, while Ralph insulted him with a 1 mil per year offer. I would have stayed the course, shored up the lines, and drafted Pat Ramsey for the future.

No way. Wade sucked. He was almost as bad as GW. And Butler couldn't manage a cap to save his life. They needed to go.

Ebenezer
10-27-2003, 08:04 PM
GM- Me

Obviously, why bring in a GM if I'm not going to allow him to hire a coach, acquire FA's, or Draft on his own.

Coaches- Tough one- I'll be the coach- but hire some kick ass assistants to do the work.

Ted Cottrell as DC, June Jones as OC

FA- None, really- we cut to the bone and go 3-13 with AVP (Johnson cut too,) obviously keep Moulds & Reuben Brown, sign unknown practice squad player Marc Bulger

Draft- 2001

1)Steve Hutchinson OG Michigan
2)Chris Chambers WR Wisconsin
3)William Peterson CB Western Illinois
3*)Jonas Jennings OT Georgia
4)Correll Buckhalter HB Nebraska
5)Marques Sullivan OT Illinois
6)John Nix Southern DT Miss
7)Dwayne Missouri DE Northwestern

2002- FA's

Fletcher over Cowart, Trade for Bledsoe (no other candidates out there)

I would have loved to get Peppers, and it's not known how this team would finish- but I'll assume the 4th pick in the draft- make a push for C Olin Kreutz from the Bears

1)Williams, Roy SS 6-0 219 Oklahoma
2)Portis, Clinton RB 5-11 204 Miami (Fla.)
3)Send to New Orleans for Willie Roaf (that'ts what KC Paid for him)
3*)McMichael, Randy TE 6-3 247 Georgia
4) Davenport, Najeh FB 6-1 248 Miami (Fla.)
5)Fujita, Scott OLB 6-5 248 California

2003- Goodbye Price, get Spikes, Milloy, pretty much the same defensive talent, including Adams

2003 hindsight draft-

1)KWAME HARRIS OT STANFORD
2)KEN HAMLIN S ARKANSAS
3)DENNIS WEATHERSBY CB OREGON STATE
4)ASANTE SAMUEL CB CENTRAL FLORIDA

You did not have to give me any draft picks outside the first round...you never know how those rounds will fall...one domino effects the others...you need a different Head Coach...otherwise I give you an A-. You could not have cut RJ in 2001 because there was not enough money in the cap because of his escalated bonus money...but you could have started AVP and put RJ on the bench.

I love the choice of June Jones as an OC. I agree on Harris. I never liked the pick of McGahee. It is a waste unless we get back at least the 23rd pick in the draft for Henry...which we will not get if we keep passing from the 2 yard line...GW is so stupid he doesn't even realize the trade value for TH if he scores 20 TDs.

Now, take that team you have assembled and tell me what happens when they are coached by gr-EGG HEAD??

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 08:08 PM
You did not have to give me any draft picks outside the first round...you never know how those rounds will fall...one domino effects the others...you need a different Head Coach...otherwise I give you an A-. You could not have cut RJ in 2001 because there was not enough money in the cap because of his escalated bonus money...but you could have started AVP and put RJ on the bench.

I love the choice of June Jones as an OC. I agree on Harris. I never liked the pick of McGahee. It is a waste unless we get back at least the 23rd pick in the draft for Henry...which we will not get if we keep passing from the 2 yard line...GW is so stupid he doesn't even realize the trade value for TH if he scores 20 TDs.

Now, take that team you have assembled and tell me what happens when they are coached by gr-EGG HEAD??

I love the pick of McGahee- but with Morris, Buckhalter, and Portis- who needs him?

OT Kwame harris replaces Mike Williams- I like Mike too, thought he was a great pick- but remember- this is a hindsight draft.- Imagine Price, Chambers, Moulds as your receiving trio, with McMichael at TE and Portis out of the backfield. They would give the rams a run for the money.

For all the picks, I drafted only those not selected when it was my turn- and for rds 3 and above I made sure that the picks were selected in real life at least 15 spots ahead.

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 08:21 PM
The team- 2003

WR Chambers, Moulds
RB - Portis Morris, Buckhalter
FB - Davenport, Crosby, and what the heck- Gash
TE- McMichael, Campbell
QB- Bledsoe, Bulger

Line-

OT Harris
G Hutchison
C- Kreutz /Jennings if we can't get Kreutz
G Brown
OT- Roaf

( I realize the line up might be out of whack as far as positions)

DL- Pat Williams, Sam Adams
DE- FA pickups

Spikes, Fletch, Posey, Fujita (Maybe even play a 3-4)

DB's Clements, Peteraon, Roy Williams, Milloy,
with Hamlin, Weathersby, and Samuel for depth

lordofgun
10-27-2003, 08:23 PM
The team- 2003

WR Chambers, Moulds
TE- McMichael, Campbell
QB- Bledsoe, Bulger

Line-

OT Harris
G Hutchison
G Brown
OT- Roaf

DE- FA pickups

:rofl: Nice team.

You're illustrating very nicely just how silly this thread is. :D

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
:rofl: Nice team.

But I have no clue who the DE's are. I'm meat.

Ebenezer
10-27-2003, 10:04 PM
But I have no clue who the DE's are. I'm meat.

Just like reality!

The team- 2003

WR Chambers, Moulds
TE- McMichael, Campbell
QB- Bledsoe, Bulger

Line-

OT Harris
G Hutchison
G Brown
OT- Roaf

DE- FA pickups

The team 2005--busted up because of the Salary Cap.

Originally posted by lordofgun

It's not silly. It is proving a point.

Dozerdog
10-27-2003, 10:07 PM
I was being silly-

I would also sign the picks to 5 year deals :D

Milloy would be expendable when Hamlin matures, Roaf (who was a trade - New orleans pays the bonuses) would be replaced by Jennings or Sullivan

Judge
10-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Billsology gave the only reasonable post in this thread- that Wade did not deserve to be fired. It was unwarranted.

Here's my deal: 2001- Don't fire Wade. Choose Flutie over RJ. Draft Kenyatta Walker instead of trading down for Nate Clements.

2002- No need to trade any first rounder b/c we still have Flutie and Drew can go elsewhere. Draft Roy Williams in the first round if still available with the likely mid-round pick, and Patrick Ramsey to be groomed to take Flutie's place.

2003- Can't fault many of the moves. Using salary cap savings to sign Takeo, etc., was the way to go.

Don Cherry
10-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Judge
Billsology gave the only reasonable post in this thread- that Wade did not deserve to be fired. It was unwarranted.

Here's my deal: 2001- Don't fire Wade. Choose Flutie over RJ. Draft Kenyatta Walker instead of trading down for Nate Clements.

2002- No need to trade any first rounder b/c we still have Flutie and Drew can go elsewhere. Draft Roy Williams in the first round if still available with the likely mid-round pick, and Patrick Ramsey to be groomed to take Flutie's place.

2003- Can't fault many of the moves. Using salary cap savings to sign Takeo, etc., was the way to go.

Ramsey was gone well before Buffalo's second pick - Thank you- come again:apu:

BillsFever
10-28-2003, 02:00 AM
Keep Flutie for 3 more years? Take Kenyetta Walker instead of Nate Clements and Travis Henry?

Damn I'm glad Judge isn't the GM.

Jsyn
10-28-2003, 10:00 AM
GM. TD. I think he's done a good job. He put a great team together on paper this year, that had buffalo fans buzzing about the playoffs.

Coach Dom Capers. I always liked defensive minded coaches. Would trading the farm for Gruden be worth it? He turned Gannon who is a mediocre qb at best into an MVP could he do the same for drew? Also likes to run the ball , something our coaches have a tough time doing.

QB Keep Drew, maybe try to restructure his contract. I don't know if this was possible.

2001 first round - Todd Heap TE
Best player available.

2002 first round - Mike Williams T
We need an offensive lineman, althought an impact DB would have been nice. (Jammer, Williams, Buchanan, Reed)

2003 first round - Willis McGahee. To early to tell. but with the 23rd pick it was slim pickings. Many experts had Kelsey at this pick and we managed to grab him in the second round.

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 10:58 AM

GM
Coach
QB
other free agents

How in the heck can someone make draft choices for players that have already played? That's more like fantasy football, isn't it? It's easy to go back and say who you'd have drafted after they have played, but what about before they played? Like when the Titans drafted Tank Williams at safety. A lot of teams were scared off because of injuries, but the Titans just saw how fierce a hitter he was and took him. He's now their starter. Or Hamlin, as Dozer said he'd draft. Again, he had those DUI problems, so would you really draft him, not knowing if he'd rebound from his troubles or just fade into obscurity? To me, it would seem that the only way to ask your question would be to do it in the offseason, when everyone can start on a level playing field (draft, FA, etc). Just like the NFL teams will have to do.

WG
10-28-2003, 11:07 AM
LMAO

Looks like I don't even need to respond to Judge's statements...

:D

Besides Judge, it's 2003!

Crying over split milk doesn't help.

That's why I'm leading the charge to get Drew replaced, so that we're not crying over lost years, however many those are, w/ Drew at QB!

Demon
10-28-2003, 11:39 AM
I wish we took Dallas Clark instead if McGahee myself. Clark looks like he will be one solid TE in the NFL and losing Riemersma we have no TE who can catch. Clark could have gotten awsome stats this year.

Demon
10-28-2003, 11:41 AM
That's why I'm leading the charge to get Drew replaced, so that we're not crying over lost years, however many those are, w/ Drew at QB!

With his salery, Bledsoe WILL be the starter in Buffalo next season, and the year after that..... and probably the year after that.

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Demon
I wish we took Dallas Clark instead if McGahee myself. Clark looks like he will be one solid TE in the NFL and losing Riemersma we have no TE who can catch. Clark could have gotten awsome stats this year.

Really? That's all this offense needed to become effective was a rookie TE? Demon, the problems are way deeper than that. Maybe a coaching change will help, or maybe we'll need better personnel. I don't know what the answer is, but what we've been doing has not worked.

Michael82
10-28-2003, 11:55 AM

Uh, Dozer? you can't have Nate Clements on your team if you drafted Steve Hutchinson in the first round. :rolleyes:

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:15 PM
These were my suggestions for draft picks AT THE TIME ... not using any rose-colored glasses:

2001: Kenyatta Walker or Steve Hutchinson. I hadn't thought Duece McAlister would have been available, otherwise I might have considered him.

Running back: We went for Henry. At the time, I wanted to stay with Ant Smith and Walker.

2002: Bryant McKinnie

Most of you would remember I was loudly laughed at for defending Jeff Blake at the time, saying the money would be better spent on LeRoi Glover or Kyle Turley. At this point, the offensive line includes Walker, Turley, Brown and McKinnie, with Smith running behind them. MMMMMm.

2003: Eric Steinbach. I had Kelley Washington very highly rated as well, but thought he was a second round pick (it turns out we could have had both of them). Given that my scenario doesn't include Drew Bledsoe, I have a second first round pick. I'll take the 6-3" 225 # 4.41/40 42" jumping WR and start him immediately opposite Eric Moulds.

The offensive line makeover is complete, with Walker, Steinbach, Brown (at C!), Turley and McKinnie.

WRs include two huge fast playmakers: Washington, Moulds and as third WR, I'd have been playing Coleman from day one.

Running back remains a Morris/Smith combination used just like Faulk/Smith is used up in NE, unless a second round pick presented itself. Weak at RB, but I have a mobile QB that will give the linebackers pause. I would have happily looked at a RB with a high second rounder (would Henry have still been available? I don't know), but that's out of scope.

TE: Campbell was a good signing, but Jay wasn't bad himself. I give the team credit for Neufeld who looks okay.

DL: I liked Glover; but I can't have Glover AND Turley. I felt at the time of the Fletch for Cowart (which I supported) we needed to use some of the additional cap space to pick up Adams or similar-type player, including Cletidus Hunt. Also on my radar was Lorenzo Bromell. Let's say I've got Williams, Hunt, Schobel and Bromell.

LB: Never wanted Robinson. I specifically SCREAMED we should have signed James Farrior. Now the LB crew includes Farrior, Fletch and Spikes ... other players I thought were worthwhile moves included Barber and Maslowski. In fact, in preseason I stated they had the best FAcy of any team because of the value/price of those two signings.

DBs: Well, I don't have Clements and some Sundays that's not bad. Thomas would have been starting opposite Winfield and I'd have found the room/money for Carpenter for at least a couple of years. I like Milloy and would sign him again but I was looking at Corey Chavous two years ago at half what we are paying Milloy.

So give me a DB rotation of Milloy, Chavous, Thomas and Winfield. Not as good as what we have and that's a given ... but not chopped liver either.

So overall, I have built the OL I wanted, got two huge, athletic WRs, put bulk on the DL, got fast LB and two strong safeties. And by now I've been developing a QB for two years that's ready to take over for Blake.

That's not pie-in-the-sky, hindsight is 20-20. It IS what I recommended each and every step of the way; not all of it good. I left us light on secondary help for a year and it's very likely the team would have been 3-13 and 6-10 before this year.

I'll take this team over the one we field every day and twice on Sundays.

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 12:17 PM
you have destroyed the salary cap...the league has fined you $10 million and you lose your first round pick...and what makes you believe for one second that R. Brown can play center?

WG
10-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Demon

Problem with that Demon is that TE is not our issue. The lines are, and still are. :)

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:29 PM
you have destroyed the salary cap...the league has fined you $10 million and you lose your first round pick...and what makes you believe for one second that R. Brown can play center?

I believe that Ruben has played C in his past while at Pitt. Don't like that one? I'll still go to war with this offensive line and a second round C. How about LeCharles Bentley or Casey Rabach? I was foresquare for both of those players.

Cap ... I'd point out that I am not paying $5-6MM for my QB. Turley - and other OG- signed regularly in the 2001/2 seasons for around $1.8- 2.2 MM. Farrior was under $2.2 MM. Chavous signed for around $2.8MM.

Please note that I have NOT had to give any additional money to Travis Henry; I did not blow money on players like Teague and Jenkins.

To say, off the cuff that I am $10MM over is pretty quick. But hey ... say I am. I STILL get Washington in the second round of 2003 and Steinbach in the first. Nothing has changed.

And if that's the best you've got to come at me with, you don't have a thing.

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:31 PM
But while we're on it, Eb ... pray tell us all the players YOU supported us taking at the time and what we'd have. Maybe you did as well as me over the last three years but I'd like to see.

I'll stand with my starting 22, at any rate.

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by askabry
Cap ... To say, off the cuff that I am $10MM over is pretty quick. But hey ... say I am. I STILL get Washington in the second round of 2003 and Steinbach in the first. Nothing has changed.

I did not say that you were $10 mil over...The penalty for knowingly, intentially exceeding the salary cap can be as high as $10M.

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 12:39 PM
But while we're on it, Eb ... pray tell us all the players YOU supported us taking at the time and what we'd have. Maybe you did as well as me over the last three years but I'd like to see.

I'll stand with my starting 22, at any rate.

Trying to guess the 2nd-7th round draft picks equals pissing into the wind...I also never said I was a draft guru. I am not.

However, I correctly picked that the Bills would take Clements in 2001 and Williams in 2002 (ask Clump). I disagree with the 2003 pick and probably would have gone with Dallas Clark.

I did not like the signing of Adams. Otherwise, I have no problem with the players that have been brought in. I would have resigned Price for the one year and lived without Milloy but have no problem with the way that worked out.

There was NO viable alternative to DB at QB. Is he frustrating? Yes, but who would you have had?? You say you have a running QB but you did not identify one (I do not think)...if it is Flutie, forget it because there was no way to keep him and cut RJ.

My problem has not been with the player personnel moves. No real arguments there. My argument is with GW as the coach.

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:44 PM

Trying to guess the 2nd-7th round draft picks equals pissing into the wind...I also never said I was a draft guru. I am not.

Which is specifically why I do not use a single second round pick on my roster (out of scope, I believe I said). With one exception, Kelley Washington.

While not a "guru", I read the pubs and part of your initial question by rights dealt with the draft.

I'm not saying the coaching doesn't suck (obviously; look at my sig) and needs revamping. You initially asked what would you have done if you were GM. So I started thinking what moves had I called for over the last three years ... and compared the overall outcome to what TD has.

Neither am I saying this team "sucks from top to bottom". I found it a nice exercise and affirmation about the things I have said about the team.

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:52 PM
I do disagree that there is no viable alternative to Drew ... I would have had a team two years ago based on Jeff Blake and proportionately spending the money elsewhere.

Everyone laughed at the idea then and frankly it had merit and time has proven me out. Over the last two years, Drew has proven his worth to me and I'll give that. But he wasn't the only alternative just the one we took.

ArcticWildMan
10-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Jeff Blake was offered a contract from us and he turned it down.

Next.....

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 12:56 PM
I would have had a team two years ago based on Jeff Blake and proportionately spending the money elsewhere.

He didn't want to be here and has been a bust everyplace else since...

askabry
10-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Jeff Blake was offered a contract from us and he turned it down.

Next.....

Apparently Jeff Blake wasn't offered enough, because he did sign somewhere and last year in Baltimore all he did was QB his team to an 8-8 record (that sounds familiar).

To say he's been a bust is a little off..

Patrick76777
10-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Team Wys!

This should be fun!

I can only start from after the 2001 season because that’s when I first started posting here, but I can be sure that Wys would have cut Flutie and kept Johnson before the 2001 season. So let’s start!

After 2001, Wys would have wanted too keep RJ! Little doubt to that, but I think Ralph would have forced him to dump Johnson and go after someone new! Wys would then have gone with Jeff Blake or AVP! We’ll say that he signs Blake! Let’s say that he takes Josh Reed in the second! He seems to like him! But he grabs Henderson in the 1st, Because that’s what he said in his post! He doesn’t sign Fletcher so I imagine that he’ll sign a Tackle (since he doesn’t have Mike Williams) We all know that he doesn’t like Teague and since he’s used the 1st round choice on Henderson and the 2nd on Reed and I’m assuming he’s still using the 3rd on Wire because he likes him and since he wants to start Sullivan, I’m guessing our starting tackle will be a B list free agent or a 4th round selection! We’ll go with 4th round selection! Since Fletcher was never signed, he probably goes with Spoon, who was coming off a good year! But alas Spoon gets injured and we go with Polk or someone in the middle! And let’s not forget that Conaty gets the start at center!

Now remember that he hated Travis Henry at the beginning of last year, so Henry stays on the bench and Shawn Bryson gets the start!

Let’s start the season

QB – Jeff Blake
RB – Shawn Bryson
WR - Eric Moulds and Peerless Price
OL - Jennings, Brown, Conaty Sullivan, a 4th rounder
FB Crosby (Centers is cut)
TE – JR

LE – Shobel
LT – Williams
RT – Henderson
RE – I’ll say Chidi but I think he hated him too!
OLB – Robinson (he didn’t like him either
ILM - Polk
OLB – Newmen
CB – Winfield, Clements
S – PP and Wire

This team goes 2-14 that year! No doubt! But hey, we didn’t get Drew so we have a high draft pick! Look out! At the same time, PP has Blake throwing the ball and doesn’t have his breakout year. It’s not worth the sign and trade for a 3rd rounder so wys is forced to let him go! Spikes will cost too much so he goes with a cheaper option, I’m guessing Colvin! When the draft comes, we need a QB, (but wys hates drafting a QB with a high pick, so we pass on that, We also need a running back because Travis rotted on the bench all year and we don’t know that he’s good! But the best running back is some guy named Willis and he’s hurt! He could go WR with the loss of price but wys is all about defense so he’ll take Terrell Suggs! The 2nd rounder would be some O linemen from that terrible draft! He’ll sit the bench! Sam Adams, Posey and Milloy are not signed! We go into the season with:

QB – Jeff Blake
RB – Shawn Bryson or Sammy Morris
WR - Eric Moulds and Josh Reed
OL - Jennings, Brown, Conaty Sullivan, a 4th rounder
FB Crosby (Gash never signed)
TE – Moore

LE – Shobel
LT – Williams
RT – Henderson
RE – Suggs
OLB – Colvin
ILM – Spoon (he’s back)
OLB – Newmen
CB – Winfield, Clements
S – PP and Wire (who is still getting burnt every other play)

4-12 TOPS!

I can’t be too far off!

askabry
10-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Actually Patrick, I thought Wys wanted us to look long and hard at Travis Brown. But you are right, he was strongest for AVP.

Patrick76777
10-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Either way, it makes for a great team! I wish he were GM! After this season, with Henry sitting on the bench for 2 seasons, he could probably get a high 4th rounder for him!

Patrick76777
10-28-2003, 02:50 PM
I thought this was good!

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 02:54 PM
I think it's ridiculous to say who you'd draft now that you know how people have done since the draft. There's a lot of players who have done well who were projected, for whatever reason (injuries, legal problems, etc.) to fail. There's also a ton of guys who were lower round picks who have been very good too. Also, nobody has mentioned how they would round out their roster, meaning getting the necessary 53 players. Who would you draft in the later rounds? Someone mentioned going with Kevin Thomas as one of their corners; so, does that mean you'd draft him? Who would be your UFAs in training camp? None of this has been covered.

WG
10-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Actually Patrick, I thought Wys wanted us to look long and hard at Travis Brown. But you are right, he was strongest for AVP.

:huh:

I've never been in favor of keeping VP. Only as a third.

BTW 76, Henderson is a LB, not a DT.

As well, the question asked is what to do;

One thing that I don't do in a year where we're supposed to compete is to change nearly a third of our roster spots. I wouldn't have 22 new people on the roster out of 53.

You need some chemistry too. Sullivan shouldn't have been yanked! He's not as bad as several other OL-men who made it. You just can't have well over a third turnover and expect to retain much chemistry.

WG
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
I think it's ridiculous to say who you'd draft now that you know how people have done since the draft. There's a lot of players who have done well who were projected, for whatever reason (injuries, legal problems, etc.) to fail. There's also a ton of guys who were lower round picks who have been very good too. Also, nobody has mentioned how they would round out their roster, meaning getting the necessary 53 players. Who would you draft in the later rounds? Someone mentioned going with Kevin Thomas as one of their corners; so, does that mean you'd draft him? Who would be your UFAs in training camp? None of this has been covered.

That's right. You've gotta take some chances on unproven players. Draftees etc. You can minimize the risks by not taking players who aren't supposed to play well at this level or by not picking risky health players w/ many knee injuries in the past.

But how are you gonna find OL-men by drafting WRs, CBs, LBs and RBs? You're not!

Also, signing guys like Adams who have played well below their $2M salaries can be avoided by simple things such as looking at tapes from last year. I'm not sure the team did that.

It's one thing to take a risk on a player you know little about or who has positives that indicate potential success. It's another when you ignore information suggestive that they do not have that potential.

askabry
10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
R. Rich ... you gotta go with the way Eb structured it. I wasn't allowed to go deep into the draft, so I just went with who I thought the Bills should have taken in the first round.

In each case, I stated that the Bills should take the player I mentioned before the draft AND the player was available when they drafted. So hey ... how clean could that be?

And ... fwiw ... Eb I've checked the salary status of the guys I mention. I don't think I'd be in cap hell, although you're the cap genius. Farrior went 3 yrs, 5.4; Chavous 4 years, 9.6, Bromell 5 years 11 and Hunt is costing 1.7 against the cap this year.

That's some pretty cheap, super productive players.

WG
10-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Buffalo Bills fantasy team building.

You know our goose is cooked...

Patrick76777
10-28-2003, 03:12 PM
I was still probably pretty close!

Patrick76777
10-28-2003, 03:12 PM
And that's the funny part! if we would have done what you wanted to do over the past 2 years, this team would be HOT, DOG S#IT

Judge
10-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Buffalo Bills fantasy team building.

You know our goose is cooked...

When are you going to show some cojones and answer Eb's challenge?

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 04:39 PM
R. Rich ... you gotta go with the way Eb structured it. I wasn't allowed to go deep into the draft, so I just went with who I thought the Bills should have taken in the first round.

In each case, I stated that the Bills should take the player I mentioned before the draft AND the player was available when they drafted. So hey ... how clean could that be?

And ... fwiw ... Eb I've checked the salary status of the guys I mention. I don't think I'd be in cap hell, although you're the cap genius. Farrior went 3 yrs, 5.4; Chavous 4 years, 9.6, Bromell 5 years 11 and Hunt is costing 1.7 against the cap this year.

That's some pretty cheap, super productive players.

Depends on how the contracts were structured...

Dozerdog
10-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Uh, Dozer? you can't have Nate Clements on your team if you drafted Steve Hutchinson in the first round. :rolleyes:

Geesh.... ok... winfield....:rolleyes:

Where's your solutions, :bigmike:

askabry
10-29-2003, 07:37 AM

From what I've seen ... I'm happy to say I'm the only one to have done so. :popcorn:

Just waiting for anyone else... and since Eb says it would "depend on how the contracts were structured", I'll give myself credit for being under the cap.

P.S. ...in review, I notice DD did do a credible job as well and props to him.

R. Rich
10-29-2003, 07:45 AM

The way it's set up, it just doesen't make sense. You're asked to say who you would draft in years past? There are some easy calls in the draft, sure, but there are also many hit and miss cases in the draft. There's no way to be very accurate with after-the-fact drafting. I was one of those people way back when who thought that Ryan Leaf would be a better pro than Peyton Manning. Before the draft, there was NO indication that he would fail as bad as he did! So now, it's real easy to evaluate Leaf, but not as easy before he was drafted. Eb's system is flawed in that respect. I would propose that everyone start at square one, like the NFL teams will, at the end of the season. Take into consideration who is on the current roster, the status of those players (UFA, RFA, etc.), the amount you have to work with salary cap-wise, available free agents, trade options, and of course the draft/free agency.