PDA

View Full Version : WGR55: Some players expect a new coach this week!

Novacane
10-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Thats a sure sign he has lost his team. If he does not go now this season is over.

Dozerdog
10-28-2003, 08:52 AM
Who said that?

A reporter? A Player? A Talk show host? A caller?

Novacane
10-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Paul Hamilton.......the beat reporter said some players are saying it.

Demon
10-28-2003, 10:40 AM
I really enjoy some of the shows WGR has, but they have a history of talking out of their arse to make people listen to them. I hope this isn't one of those things.

WG
10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
It's fine if it is. It's time for the local/regional media to start kicking up the heat!

As I've said in the past, IMO the Bills read these sites and take public opinion from them. You have the most vocal fans on them and usually they err on the side of conservative team issues, ie. many homers. Therefore, if it's that bad on the boards, they know it's worse elsewhere and there's plenty of proof for that.

So IMO they get a read on what the fans think from these boards which is why I don't downplay the posts here and am vocal myself. I firmly believe that our opinions can help drive what the team does. It's obviously not gonna dictate TD's decisions, but it will be a factor in them hopefully.

I mean imagine if 2 dozen fans here said that they wouldn't renew their seasons if Williams and Gilbride were here next season, I'm sure that would resound somewhere in the organization's head. They'd be foolish to ignore talk like that. I know I'm serious when I say it.

Why would someone pay $40-some per ticket to see our team once again prove that they are incapable of doing anything after only a handful of games next season? Tickets are available to every game outside in the lot and at the BO, especially after a dropoff in ST sales if GW and KG were to be retained. Why should fans gamble on eating several hundred dollars worth of tickets to a couple of games that they are unable to attend.

I know living in DC I can usually only make 3-5 games. I have my Indy tix on e-bay now and they aren't selling. That should have been a big game. I may have to eat $330 on that game alone if I can't sell them. Why? It's insane. I'm not gonna do that next season.

I bought seasons when TD came aboard and at his assurances that we'd be good by now. He lied! He gambles on correcting the team to the team's detriment, he's a poor evaluator of coaching talent. Gilbride was his friend and coach, NOT GW's choice! Williams was obviously a mistake and when we think we could have had Fox or Lewis, it's angering. Perhaps Parcells even. And LeBeau, well, he sure did wonders for Cincy as both a HC and DC. :rolleyes: Can we all say deja vu!

I don't trust TD's decisions any longer. I'm tired of worrying about losing hundreds of dollars worth of tickets for games I can't sell for a few games that I can't make it up for. I may just go back to my ways of buying 20-30 tickets for 2 or 3 choice games next year instead of buying a mass of seasons. At least that way I can make my decisions based on need, not false assurances.

askabry
10-28-2003, 11:12 AM
I have some very similar things coming from players in the past few days. Frankly, I was surprised it took Paul Hamilton this long to "break" the story ...

Michael82
10-28-2003, 11:20 AM
oh man, this is it! This should be the last straw. when you have players calling for a new coach, you know it's time to pull the plug. I hope its done soon, because this points to how the team is playing. If they want a new coach, why would they want to win?

Novacane
10-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by askabry
I have some very similar things coming from players in the past few days. Frankly, I was surprised it took Paul Hamilton this long to "break" the story ...

Do you know players?

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 11:52 AM
When it has any validity or not the point that players have told Hamilton that they expect a new coach is all you need to see that he has lost at least parts of the team...he must go.

TigerJ
10-28-2003, 12:17 PM
I think this is a plausible story. Responding to your sig, Fairway, I don't think it is realistic to take all the steps suggested in your current sig now in mid-season. Particularly in the coaching staff I just don't think it's practical to can the entire coaching staff. There just aren't enough quallified guys floating around out there to fill a new staff midseason. The new head coach (interim or otherwise) would be hoplessly handicapped. If you think the team and fans are demoralised now, you ain't seen nothing. If you want to do it in the offseason, fine, that can work.

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Do you know players?

I am involved in area charities that absorb some time of the players. Let's just say some activities have been cancelled and the reasons given were not incongruent with what Paul Hamilton is saying.

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by askabry
incongruent??

:idunno:

RedEyE
10-28-2003, 12:28 PM
I would be whole heartedly suprised if Williams got the axe this week. I hope it happens.

askabry
10-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

:idunno:

incongruent: Text: Synonyms INCONSONANT 1, conflicting, disconsonant, discordant, discrepant, dissonant, incompatible, incongruous, inconsistent, unmixable

to be incongruent ... to essentially be ... not conflicting, not incompatible.

Ebenezer
10-28-2003, 12:55 PM
I know what it meant...

Michael82
10-28-2003, 01:15 PM
It's becoming more evident that Williams has lost his room. Players are talking about possibly having a new coach this week. That is a sign that he's lost their ear.

http://www.wgr55.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=0225

Stewie
10-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
It's fine if it is. It's time for the local/regional media to start kicking up the heat!

As I've said in the past, IMO the Bills read these sites and take public opinion from them. You have the most vocal fans on them and usually they err on the side of conservative team issues, ie. many homers. Therefore, if it's that bad on the boards, they know it's worse elsewhere and there's plenty of proof for that.

So IMO they get a read on what the fans think from these boards which is why I don't downplay the posts here and am vocal myself. I firmly believe that our opinions can help drive what the team does. It's obviously not gonna dictate TD's decisions, but it will be a factor in them hopefully.

I mean imagine if 2 dozen fans here said that they wouldn't renew their seasons if Williams and Gilbride were here next season, I'm sure that would resound somewhere in the organization's head. They'd be foolish to ignore talk like that. I know I'm serious when I say it.

Tom Donahoe does not give a flying crap about what fans on this or any other board say. Fans on message boards are not true samples of the bills fan collective population. TD and anyone else who took Stat I in college knows this. Quite the opposite of what you say, he would be a fool if he *did* give credence to what people say on message boards.

TD knows that fans will follow a winning team, pure and simple and end of story.

ArcticWildMan
10-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by paulB

Tom Donahoe does not give a flying crap about what fans on this or any other board say. Fans on message boards are not true samples of the bills fan collective population. TD and anyone else who took Stat I in college knows this. Quite the opposite of what you say, he would be a fool if he *did* give credence to what people say on message boards.

TD knows that fans will follow a winning team, pure and simple and end of story.

That was beautiful!!!

:bf1:

Gunzlingr
10-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
That was beautiful!!!

:bf1:

It brought tears to my eyes! :cry:

Novacane
10-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
If you want to do it in the offseason, fine, that can work.

Thats when I think they should clean house, not now. They should get rid of GW and KG now!

That stuff in my sig is directed at a few morons who think they are better fans because they will swallow any crap 1 Bills drive puts out.

mchurchfie
10-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Revelation of the day...

Originally posted by paulB

Second revelation of the day...
We're not winning though.:eek:

Judge
10-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I know what it meant...

Yeah, SURE you did!

Billzz
10-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Gregg Williams, the head coach of the Buffalo Bills remains on the hot-seat, especially after the Bills recent 38-5 flop Sunday night against the Chiefs. Two names that are surfacing for the potential head coach opening in Buffalo are former Jacksonville coach Tom Coughlin and current Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey.

Ingtar33
10-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Coughlin, and no other serious head coaching candidate would pick up a team in mid season… they just wouldn’t do it.

Your choice for a midseason replacement would have to come form the staff or the bills past.

that leaves...

Lebeau: i doubt he'd do this as the last time the NFL had a midseason coaching change was when the bengals coach quit in disgust after week 3 or 4 back in 2000. Lebeau was "drafted" to be head coach. I doubt he would ever volunteer for that again.

Grey: what has he done to deserve this?

Gilbride: if you don't like the way the O is performing this is not much of a choice. On the plus side he would likely jump at the chance, and was an nfl head coach before.

Now your looking into the "dregs" of NFL coaching. Someone out of work, looking for a job, who was a dismal failure as a coach... someone like Marty Morningwig.

The other option for you would be some past bills coach, who would do it just for the rest of the year, for the sake of the franchise.

Phillips would never work for Wilson again and has a job
Cottrell has a job
Pendry would jump at it but i think this is a stretch.
Marv Levy would be ideal, but you'd likely have to beg on your knees to drag him out of retirement to handle this crap.
Ted Marchibroda I think is even older than Marv, but he is a coaching legend of sorts in his own way.

Billzz
10-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Phillips is DC for Atlanta and just benched all his DB's. Atleast he takes action there when the wheels come off.

We don't need a new coach right now the negatives are greater then the positives. The players need to rise above this and prove it is actually the coaching staff by EXECUTING the current game plan before they call the staff suspect. There not exactly holding up there end of the bargain either by dropping passes, losing people in coverage and not blocking/pass rushing well.

I know a major change seems to be the cure since that's what everyone is banking on but I feel this team will just implode because of it. Let the douche bag finish out the year instead of jumping to conclusions and listening to speculation by a few select self proclaimed sports analysts:)

G. Host
10-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Thats a sure sign he has lost his team. If he does not go now this season is over.
I do not think there is much of chance of that happening. Players may be talking about speculation but that is about it. WGR is very unreliable.

Novacane
10-28-2003, 09:39 PM
I don't think he's going to be fired either GH but I do not believe Hamilton is lying. If he says some players are griping about the coach than I believe it's true. That makes me more discouraged than anything else. If the players don't believe in GW anymore than this season is over. Period!!

Michael82
10-29-2003, 09:31 AM
I don't think he's going to be fired either GH but I do not believe Hamilton is lying. If he says some players are griping about the coach than I believe it's true. That makes me more discouraged than anything else. If the players don't believe in GW anymore than this season is over. Period!!

:bf1: Good post, man! :up:

Turf
10-29-2003, 09:56 AM
It would have happened already. It won't happen unless they drop the next three games, and at that point it will be too late.

You have to remember too, future coaching prospects look at how the previous coach was treated. Dumping coaches mid season doesn't exactly make you look stable as an organization.

I would dump Gilbride though, no doubt.

Michael82
10-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Here's my prediction....

Bills go to Dallas and look just as bad as they did against the hungry Jets and KC. Gregg Williams get schooled on how to coach, by Bill Parcells. Bills get blown out by 20 points. Gregg Williams is shown the door that night, or Monday morning. Ralph is the one to fire him, because TD can't do it.

Billzz
10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
I would be suprised if they can GW. Too many negatives surrounding it for both the team and the Buffalo Bills organization as a whole. Then again it's not my team it's Ralph's and no one really knows what he is thinking right now.

German
10-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
You have to remember too, future coaching prospects look at how the previous coach was treated. Dumping coaches mid season doesn't exactly make you look stable as an organization.

Show them the money and they will come.
No matter how GW was treated.

I don't think any coach that wants to be successfull can't understand an owner/organisation that fires a coach in mid-season in hopes to salvage the season and reach the goal that was defined when the season started.

ryven
10-29-2003, 11:06 AM
and Ralph Wilson has already fired one coach mid season so I dont think he minds so much.

ryven
10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
correct me if I am wrong but I think that is when we got Marv Levy.

Turf
10-29-2003, 01:42 PM
There is still IMO no reason for them not to fire Gilbride NOW. It's the smartest move they could make.
Most of Gilbrides runs are poor run calls as well. Toss sweeps at the goal line. Draw plays and delays. The guy doesn't have a clue.