PDA

View Full Version : 5 moves back to a dynasty

venis2k1
10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
If i was in charge of the bills, I could guarantee a SB birth next year, this is how i would do it.

1. We need to build Drew a Chariot of Beef to carry us into the promise land. I would go after a tackle early(trading up if need be) in the first round of the draft. Robert Gallery (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/prospects/galleryr.html) or Shawn Andrews (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/prospects/andrewss.html) . I would then move Big mike to RG(the thinking here is that he has problem with speed rushers, moving him inside would get rid of that, also do you think that there is any person in the NFL that can Bullrush Mike?) I would also look for a good C if one was there Mid draft or in FA.

2. I would make a hard push for Sapp this offseason. I know alot of you dont like him, but he would do one thing no one on our Defense can do, colapse the pocket. He also(unlike the keg, who was advertised to do so) would draw double teams, this would open things up for our ends and Pat/Sam.

3. Coaching Change, I would go after charlie weis. I think he is one of the best coaches out there right now, and by making him our Coach, it would take him away from the pats. My only hesitation is what he did, or didnt do while bledose was there under him.

4. I would try to bring in Champ Bailey, he is a shut down corner, and isnt a midget.

5. I would draft a QB in the second or Thrid round(assuming someone decent is there) AVP cant get it done anymore.

WG
10-28-2003, 09:23 AM
I would only disagree w/ 1 and 2 venis.

On 1, how about getting a QB who doesn't need a "Chariot of Beef" just to play a good game?

Having an OL of 5 guys like that is rarity and having it intact all season is also unusual. Time to find a QB who can play behind an average OL. Plenty of them are doing that now much better than Drew is. In spite of all of our woes on the OL, it's near average. I'd say slightly below, but not drastically below. The issue is Drew more than you and others are willing to realize and admit.

On 2, Sapp will be tremendously overrated this offseason. He'll cost a fortune and won't be worth the bucks paid. This would be a typical TD move however, signing a player who will be 32 next season and has shown signs that he is no longer anywhere near as good as he used to be. His production dropped off sharply after the '00 season and hasn't rebounded since.

We'd be better served if we took the money that would be required to sign him to sign two or three other up-and-coming players instead of one who is only very good now for marquee bucks and who's play could drop to just above average at any time.

Sapp was a monster, but at 32 he's not gonna be a monster and it's not gonna improve at 33 or 34.

Earthquake Enyart
10-28-2003, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't touch Sapp with a 10 foot pole.

venis2k1
10-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Thats to point, I dont think he will draw as much interest(read:as much money) as people think.

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 09:38 AM
I like the idea of improving the offensive line. Maybe moving Wiliams inside, he could dominate like Leonard Davis, his former college teammate, has done in Arizona (when he's healthy).

As far as the line goes, I'd dump Pussywillow in a heartbeat. He sucks. He's taking up a roster spot now. I would also look to replace Ruben Brown. He's not getting it done, and we need a big, powerful guard in there who can blow people off the ball and help open holes for Travis. Teague would also be gone. He's way too expensive for the crappy performance he's giving. Get a good FA center who can run block without ending up on his back. I'd keep Jonas and I'd put Marcus Price back at RT.

On defense, I'd get a DT with my FIRST pick in the draft! Someone who can tie up blockers while wreaking havoc in the backfield. Team a guy like that up with Pat, and we may have something. My very next pick would be used on a pass rusher!! Our rush SUCKS!! We need someone to come off the edge and actually get to the QB more than once every blue moon. I would also look to FA to get a left end who can not only rush the passer, but will help stop the outside run, which is killing this team. I would also love to see the Bills spend the bucks on Bailey. I mean, if Winfield want Champ Bailey-type money to stay, why not pass on him and actually get Champ Bailey? He's the best in the game.

I know a lot of this is just a wish, but I would work to make it happen if I were the GM.

venis2k1
10-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Look at the two best teams in the NFL right now. Chiefs and Vikes. What is the one thing that they have in common, Offensive lines that can destroy you. if drew had half the time Trent Green had sunday night, the game would have been ALOT closer.

venis2k1
10-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Letting go of reuben would be tough. He has done more for the community than any other bill EVER. Not to mention he is the offensive leader of this team. i wouldnt go with a DE high this year, that would make 5 straight years we have drafted a DE in the first 2 rounds. as for DTs, Marcus Tubbs is prolly the best Pocket breaking DT in the draft, with the exception of Tommie Harris who will be moved to end in the NFL.

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1
Letting go of reuben would be tough. He has done more for the community than any other bill EVER. Not to mention he is the offensive leader of this team. i wouldnt go with a DE high this year, that would make 5 straight years we have drafted a DE in the first 2 rounds. as for DTs, Marcus Tubbs is prolly the best Pocket breaking DT in the draft, with the exception of Tommie Harris who will be moved to end in the NFL.

It would be tough to get rid of Ruben, but it is necessary. We could be so much better with someone who is bigger and more of a drive blocker. I'd get rid of this finesse blocking mentality and just start knocking people off the ball.

jbisset
10-28-2003, 09:53 AM
As I see it:

Bills needs:

A pass rushing DE like Bruce in his prime

OL help ...we need ASAP...We can win with Drew if he had better protection

A DT to help stop the run....Sapp would be a nice additional ...He can still colapse the pocket but I think we have too may other needs to afford him and at 31/32 his value is dropping

A Fast WR is a nice to have... Someone that can catch passes down field...would give us a great set of WRs.

A shut down corner would be nice...However, if we can presure the QB it would help to DBs

Jan Reimers
10-28-2003, 10:00 AM
I agree, venis, except for Sapp. Your analysis of the O line is right on. Bledsoe is a good, but immobile, drop back pocket passer who needs better protection than this line can give him. Williams moving to RG and the drafting of a quality center would shore up the interior - but it would also be an admission that we picked Big Mike way too high. Then again, we used a high #1 on Ruben Brown, who couldn't play tackle, either.

I still wish that Sullivan would come around. He could potentially be our RT.

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I agree, venis, except for Sapp. Your analysis of the O line is right on. Bledsoe is a good, but immobile, drop back pocket passer who needs better protection than this line can give him. Williams moving to RG and the drafting of a quality center would shore up the interior - but it would also be an admission that we picked Big Mike way too high. Then again, we used a high #1 on Ruben Brown, who couldn't play tackle, either.

We used a high pick on Ruben with the intent on playing him at guard.

WG
10-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1
Thats to point, I dont think he will draw as much interest(read:as much money) as people think.

Even if he's only 4 or 5 million, why take him. He'll be 32 next season and heading downward.

Again, something that will light up TD's eyes I'm sure. :rolleyes:

WG
10-28-2003, 10:09 AM
BTW, he ain't goin' for less than that.

WG
10-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

The bottom line tho is that if we had a QB that was in the least mobile, then it would sure make up for at least some deficiencies in the OL.

To compile this "Beefcake Chariott" line that you guys are talking about could take years and is no guarantee of anything. Drew had a fine OL in NE for several years and his play was no different.

I know this is crazy, :rolleyes:, but what if you guys are wrong about Drew? What if he really is his own worst problem? Then suppose you do build this incredibly talented line after 2 or 3 seasons when Drew will be 34/35, and he still plays the same way only slightly better due to the line but still throws big games as he's always done?

Then what? Your little experiment will have failed an the Bills will have wasted a lot of other talent just to make a statement w/ Drew and b/c "the fans love him."

Sounds a bit silly and a waste of time to me. Meanwhile, players like Pat Williams, Moulds, Spikes, Clements will all be that much older if they are even with the team and their talents will have been wasted all to "build the team around Drew!"

I say give it up already.

But in case you're not convinced, I'm so confident that Drew's going to toss at least 10 INTs v. the Titans, NE, Miami, and Indy, that I'll even wager on it. Another charity wager if you will. Loser pays to samaritanspurse.com.

When that happens, let's stop this silliness, cut Drew, or trade him for the 4th rounder that he'll be worth, and cut our losses.

My prediction for Drew is this; he'll either play here or elsewhere in '04 and '05 and after that be relegated to backup status just like someone like Beuerlein.

No team in their right mind is gonna want Drew as a starter after next season. His arm is apparently weakening since he continually underthrows his deep receivers. Since that's his biggest strength by far-and-away, his days are numbered.

R. Rich
10-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
The bottom line tho is that if we had a QB that was in the least mobile, then it would sure make up for at least some deficiencies in the OL.

To compile this "Beefcake Chariott" line that you guys are talking about could take years and is no guarantee of anything. Drew had a fine OL in NE for several years and his play was no different.

I know this is crazy, :rolleyes:, but what if you guys are wrong about Drew? What if he really is his own worst problem? Then suppose you do build this incredibly talented line after 2 or 3 seasons when Drew will be 34/35, and he still plays the same way only slightly better due to the line but still throws big games as he's always done?

Then what? Your little experiment will have failed an the Bills will have wasted a lot of other talent just to make a statement w/ Drew and b/c "the fans love him."

Sounds a bit silly and a waste of time to me. Meanwhile, players like Pat Williams, Moulds, Spikes, Clements will all be that much older if they are even with the team and their talents will have been wasted all to "build the team around Drew!"

I say give it up already.

But in case you're not convinced, I'm so confident that Drew's going to toss at least 10 INTs v. the Titans, NE, Miami, and Indy, that I'll even wager on it. Another charity wager if you will. Loser pays to samaritanspurse.com.

When that happens, let's stop this silliness, cut Drew, or trade him for the 4th rounder that he'll be worth, and cut our losses.

My prediction for Drew is this; he'll either play here or elsewhere in '04 and '05 and after that be relegated to backup status just like someone like Beuerlein.

No team in their right mind is gonna want Drew as a starter after next season. His arm is apparently weakening since he continually underthrows his deep receivers. Since that's his biggest strength by far-and-away, his days are numbered.

I want a big, powerful offensive line. If Drew can work out behind that, fine. If not, get his replacement ready. Either way, I WANT A DOMINANT OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!

venis2k1
10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
I for one, dont think many fans love drew right now, but i think we can win with him. This offense in no way was built around drew. In hindsight, maybe we should have gone after turley when the saints were looking to deal him.

venis2k1
10-28-2003, 10:52 AM
I want a chariot of beef!!!!

Demon
10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Keep Warren Sapp as far away as possible. Same goes for Jevon Kearse. We don't need those two cancers.

Gunzlingr
10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I think a good coach could make what we have work. Someone who isn't afraid to mess with the depth chart if necessary, and won't abandon the run.

Throne Logic
10-28-2003, 01:44 PM
I've seen a few knocks on the DBs and WRs here. I don't think we have any problems in either group. A fast WR would do very little for an offense that has only 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. On the flip side, I think you'd see an amazing perceived improvement in our DB corp if the DL could get pressure on the QB in something less than 4 or 5 seconds. No corner can be expected to consistently cover a good WR for more than 4 seconds after the snap.

As everyone agrees, both OL and DL need to be fixed. I think a focus on just these two areas would result in a big improvement for all the other positions. It all starts in the trenches. And our current trench representation is not getting the job done.