X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

McCombs apologizes

The day after he stunned the locker room by telling the Vikings they "humiliated" the franchise and themselves after their first defeat in 10 months, a contrite Red McCombs said Monday he regretted making the comments although he didn't remember using that word.

"I guess … my passion got carried away in commenting on things that really are not exactly the way I would feel or think about the team, because the game of football at any level is a game that is not to be taken lightly, when it's reflecting on the guys playing it," McCombs said in a conference call with reporters. "I am very careful not to be critical of people playing the game because it's been an awful long time since I played it, but I do understand it pretty well.''

McCombs and Vikings coach Mike Tice spoke Sunday night and Monday after the incident. Tice was aware of McCombs' regrets, but declined to talk much further about it, saying he wanted to "keep that within the family." He pointed out that the team played hard in the 29-17 loss, in which the New York Giants scored 13 unanswered points in the fourth quarter.

"They can't win every game, and I doubt it was because of a lack of effort,'' Tice said. Words of McCombs' apologetic tone spread quickly around the locker room Monday, with mixed reaction. Those who were upset declined to comment on the record. Others said they are ready to move on.

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Ol' Red's attitude could use humility

I have never known anyone from Texas who didn't think he was a football expert. Apparently, they consider that to be their birthright, along with wearing oversized belt buckles, pointy boots and blue jeans that rarely see the inside of a washing machine.

So it comes as no surprise that Vikings owner Red McCombs fancies himself a connoisseur of the game and likes to talk about what's happening in the "trenches" — even though almost everyone else quit using that term 20 years ago.

The fact that he dressed down the team after last Sunday's loss, and subsequently sort of half-apologized, also is no shocker. Immediately following the defeat, McCombs stood outside the locker room and watched a TV monitor as Giants quarterback Kerry Collins grinned and talked about winning in the Metrodome.

Purple smoke was seeping from the owner's ears.

What is surprising, however, is the lack of respect that McCombs continually shows toward coach Mike Tice.

By NFL standards, McCombs pays Tice so little in salary that appreciative fans might consider passing the hat at the Metrodome. Then the Tice family could buy some cabbage and onions and have soup on Thanksgiving.

more
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

Working...
    X