PDA

View Full Version : Wuerffel's rejection leaves Redskins in bind

Gunzlingr
10-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Danny Wuerffel won't be rejoining the Washington Redskins, leaving coach Steve Spurrier in a bind if he needs to play a backup quarterback Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

After a tumultuous bye week, the uncertainty at Redskins Park continued on many fronts Monday with the Wuerffel announcement, yet another minor roster move, the news that top running backs Trung Canidate and Ladell Betts probably will miss the Cowboys game and the possibility that troubled Oakland defensive lineman Darrell Russell might become available to help strengthen the front four.

Adding to the day's confusion was Spurrier's description of what he plans to do with the offense. The coach, who visited owner Dan Snyder's house Saturday for a dinner-plus-strategy session, backed off somewhat from statements he made last week indicating that he plans to return to the wide-open passing offense he used at Florida.

Whatever happens, it won't happen with Wuerffel. After releasing Rob Johnson last week, Spurrier wanted his former Heisman Trophy winner from Florida to return as the backup for Patrick Ramsey.

Wuerffel said no, preferring to remain with his expectant wife and continue ministry work in New Orleans.

more (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/10/27/bc.fbn.redskinschanges.ap/index.html)

Valerie
10-28-2003, 11:16 AM
:lmao: Now that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Talk abotu shooting yourself in the foot! Way to go, Spurrier! I swear! Between him and Danny S. the freaking Skins are in for T-R-O-U-B-L-E. I'm not in any way saying that Rob Johnson was a good choice for back-up, but at least it's someone! OMG! I can't wait for Sunday's game! The Cowboys are going to CRUSH those damn Skins!

BTW, I know where Danny S lives. Too bad I didn't know about the dinner party, I would've swung by and given them my thoughts on their team. lol