• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

What QBs Can do with "the tools":

Obviously there are two sides to Drew's play here in Buffalo, and in NE for that matter. For eleven years now Bledsoe fans have been stating that Drew only needs the supporting cast. So I thought I'd shed some light on that.

IMO any average, even below average QBs can have very good seasons "with all the tools" around them. But the better QBs play well under the more likely circumstances of at least a few weaknesses in the levels of talent around them.

Mark Rypien is a QB who I consider to have been about Drew's caliber. His best season was one that closely resembled Drew's best. He had a killer arm like Drew and could launch the deep ball equally well. He had perhaps lesser rushing support than Drew had when Drew had his best season(s), but other than that, the scenarios are very similar.

Rypien played behind one of the best OLs that football ever assembled and Drew's was very good in '96/'97.

What is interesting, the career play of both is almost the same.

YPA: 6.7/7.1
    TD/INT: 1.2/1.3
    Cp. %: 57.1/56.1

Rypien played very well behind the Skins line. Yet, when removed, he played poorly.

The point is not that Rypien is any good, but that IMO any even remotely average QB, which is what Rypien was, would have played well behind the HOGs line then. Since Drew doesn't play much better than Rypien does apart from that, it would make sense that if we beef up our OL to the extent that "Drew can play well", that we simply don't need to spend $6M, or whatever Drew would cost down the road, on a QB.

Ie., if we assemble that line, let's save some bucks on a QB at mimimum, who would match anything that Drew could do or perhaps even better.

Just a thought. I view the two as being very similar. No mobility, both pocket passers, both not the best readers, both with very strong arms and decent deep balls. In fact, the stats of both are very, very similar. I'm just curious if this was Rypien, what would the response by the fans be.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

I think Drew success or lack of success can be managed with a solid gameplan. He can't win it with his arm only.

The plan against the Skins (albeit they aren't a top quality team) was perfect. The run set up the pass. That way he wasn't a target.

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

Well, when Drew had good game planning he never turned as good as eason as Rypien did. You can't say Parcells wasnt' prepared and an astute planner. In fact, you can say he made up for Drew's weaknesses fairly well.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• TedMock
        • Jul 2002

Joe Gibbs won the Superbowl with 3 different QB's. He won using a different "style" with them. Rypien and Williams were strong armed pocket QB's that couldn't run. Thiesman could run and throw short-intermediate passes well but wasn't necessarily good with the deep ball. Don't forget another totally different style when he was the OC in San Diego. They were the best offense in the league for different reasons....Fouts, Winslow, Joiner and swing passes to Muncie. I think you're right in comparing Bledsoe to Rypien, they are very similar in style. Parcell's used Bledsoe properly and it took a couple of seasons to get Bledsoe to where he wanted him. I think the biggest difference here is Coach Gibbs versus Coach Moobs. I absolutely agree that Bledsoe is overrated. I don't, however, think he's horrible. He does make stupid decisions at times and does hold the ball too long. I think that Coach Gibbs could get a Superbowl win with him or with Jeff Garcia (Joe T-ish but not HOF).

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

bump

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
            Maybe?
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by WG
            The point is not that Rypien is any good, but that IMO any even remotely average QB, which is what Rypien was, would have played well behind the HOGs line then. Since Drew doesn't play much better than Rypien does apart from that, it would make sense that if we beef up our OL to the extent that "Drew can play well", that we simply don't need to spend $6M, or whatever Drew would cost down the road, on a QB.

Ie., if we assemble that line, let's save some bucks on a QB at mimimum, who would match anything that Drew could do or perhaps even better.
            I couldn't agree more..too bad it's too late for that now. This should have happened in '04.

Comment

Working...
            X