• Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Henry Gets Verbal

Bills running back Travis Henry feels underutilized in red zone
    By JOHN WAWROW

October 28, 2003
    ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - The Buffalo Bills are having trouble scoring and Travis Henry has a simple solution: give him the ball more often near the goal line.

The Bills leading rusher questioned the team's play-calling decisions on Tuesday as Buffalo began a three-day stretch of bye week practices. Henry was feeling left out in an offensive scheme that has had a tendency to pass instead of run in short-yardage situations - including near the opposing goal line.

"Man, I don't know. I'm searching for answers myself," Henry said. "You would think I would get the ball in certain situations in which I'm not getting it."

That was evident in Sunday night's 38-5 loss at Kansas City.

Trailing 21-2 in the second quarter, the Bills settled for a field goal following two incomplete passes, including one in which Drew Bledsoe overthrew a wide-open Dave Moore in the end zone. That was after Henry's seven-yard first-down run put the team at the 2.

It wasn't the first time that's happened this season.

more: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/031028/6/v9qj.html
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

"I'm consistent in the red zone," Henry said. "So in situations like that, I want the ball at least once or twice. I want the ball because I feel like I can make the play given the opportunity."

"I think so," Henry answered when asked if he supported offensive co-ordinator Kevin Gilbride.

"It's plain and simple," Henry added. "I think everybody knows what we should be doing but, like I say, we're not doing it. And why we're not doing the things that we're good at, I don't know."

Comment

• Billzz
      • Sep 2003

Good to see he has a healthy appetite of wanting the ball not the self destructive kind like T.O. Also seems to want to help the team out vs. self glory with a little sense of things are in turmoil let me help you help the team kinda deal.

That make sense? Kinda tired.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billzz
        Good to see he has a healthy appetite of wanting the ball not the self destructive kind like T.O. Also seems to want to help the team out vs. self glory with a little sense of things are in turmoil let me help you help the team kinda deal.

That make sense? Kinda tired.
        Crystal clear. Good point.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
          • Jul 2002

Good for Travis! It's about time some players question Gilbride.

Comment

• socalfan
            Old Fogey from Cali
            • Feb 2003

It seems to me that at home KG may run the ball more; getting hit in the head with a foreign object from fans is a real possibility. But away, TH is going to starve. I'd be really POed if I were him. Setting goals and not realizing them because of the OC is bogus.

Comment

• ryven
              • Jan 2003

socal how are you and your family doing with the fires?

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

Good for you TH. Give 'em heck!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

I don't care much for complaining players, but in this situation, he's right. It's sad when a player knows more than the OC and the HC

. Since GW isn't doing anything about it by telling Gilbride what to do, might as well be a player.

Hell, the Janitor could've said that and I'd be happy as long as it makes a loud noise by hitting media. Let's see if it falls on deaf ears again.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
                    New and Improved!!
                    • Aug 2003

It's about friggin time! hell yeah Travis!! since Nobody else wants to stand up a voice these problems, especially the friggin "lameduck" QB. (godda teach parenting classes instead of fix this team).
                    Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

Working...
                    X