• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Why this game was even close:

Many of you are hard on Bryson and are giving Henry way too much credit for the win today.

Why was this game even so close?

Here's why:

Because of Henry's FUMBLE.

We were up 7-0 and the Bear offense was doing NOTHING!

Then, Henry saw fit to once again fumble which allowed the Bears to score. Prior to that carry on that drive, Bledsoe was 3 of 4 for 32, 9 of which went to Bryson. Bryson had 3 carries for 12 yards. (7,3,2) And we were marching downfield with virtual impunity.

Then, once again, the unthinkable! Yet another Henry fumble.

Tied 7-7 just like that. If he doesn't fumble, we're likely up 14-0, but 10-0 nonetheless since we were already in FG range. We scored an additional 10 points on the two subsequent drives while the Bear O was stymied.

It could have been 24 or 20 to nothing and we could have put the game away early in the 3rd Q.

So before everyone starts talking about how wonderful Henry is, just remember, if the Bears even get a FG in O/T, it's the second straight game that we lose b/c of Henry.

Food for thought.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Wys Guy
    • Jul 2002

I'm for Henry starting again next week. And yes, Bryson, while he played OK, wasn't spectacular.

But the fuse should still be relatively short for Henry. He has to play several games w/o fumbling and certainly w/o fumbling in key situations. 14 point swings are not something that this team is good enough to routinely overcome. Not against decent teams at least.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

we should have put that game away early but we got the W and that's all that matters.

Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Wys Guy
        • Jul 2002

Yeah, but as you said, we should have put it away early.

We don't want to get into a habit of this, which, IMO we are. Gilbride doesn't seem to know how to put the game away offensively at times.

I'm optimistic vs. the Raiders, but we are starting to play the better teams on our schedule and we have to start simply going for the jugular earlier on.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

3 posts out of four. Five yard penalty.

It's not only the fumbles. Penalties are killing us too.

Comment

• doug45
            • Jul 2002

Re: Why this game was even close:

Originally posted by Wys Guy

Why was this game even so close?

Here's why:

Because of Henry's FUMBLE.

We were up 7-0 and the Bear offense was doing NOTHING!

Then, once again, the unthinkable! Yet another Henry fumble.

Tied 7-7 just like that. If he doesn't fumble, we're likely up 14-0, but 10-0 nonetheless since we were already in FG range. We scored an additional 10 points on the two subsequent drives while the Bear O was stymied.

It could have been 24 or 20 to nothing and we could have put the game away early in the 3rd Q.

So before everyone starts talking about how wonderful Henry is, just remember, if the Bears even get a FG in O/T, it's the second straight game that we lose b/c of Henry.

Food for thought.

After that fumble it changed the tone of the game. If not for that it would not have been close. The Bills were on a roll up to that point.

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Thanks 45.

EE, LOL.

Yeah, penalties too. That one by Watson on which we had them by the nads at 3rrd and 6 or something like that at their own 25 or so. He gave them the first. Fortunately they didn't score, but the field position edge went to them after that. The did gain another 40 or so yards.

Oh well. Watson will be Watson. I just don't know what he was doing near Booker in that game.

I think we can beat the Raiders. The Raiders struggle in Buffalo which should help us. 31-27 Bills!!!

DREEEEWWWWWW!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

once is a fluke
                two is a worry
                three is a trend
                four is a major problem

he fumbles again soon and Bryson will be starting.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BigDoug
                  1-800-SAD-GOAT
                  • Jul 2002

Hey, didn't Bryson give up the rock too? I notice that was conveniently forgotten and you didn't mention it, Wys.

Comment

• Judge
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    once is a fluke
                    two is a worry
                    three is a trend
                    four is a major problem

he fumbles again soon and Bryson will be starting.
                    Yup. Give Henry credit for bouncing back and performing as well as he did- that earns him the continued starter role. He needs to withstand constant strip attempts and the mental concentration needed to bring his game up to a higher level now- avoid the T/O!
                    Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• Judge
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BigDoug
                      Hey, didn't Bryson give up the rock too? I notice that was conveniently forgotten and you didn't mention it, Wys.
                      Yes he did- Henry 4 fumbles, Bryson one. So Bryson should still get 3 more fumbles before you get upset!
                      Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• LABillsFan
                        • Aug 2002

I was defending Henry last week because the Broncos have a good DL, and was using the excuse of the inexperience of the OL and Henry, but the fumble against the Bears changed the momentum of the game and Drew had to bail the team out again. Yes Henry was the one who got the OT TD, but I don't want a back playing breaks even for a game. I'm not sure but I think you want your offensive players to score more points than they give up, at least this is the philosophy that I would have if I coached. He is a talented runner and catcher I give him that, but what if that 6 point fumble came late in the fourth with The Bills leading by less than 7? The Bears would be in the lead. He is going to cost us a game (oops he already had a hand in that last week).
                        Last edited by LABillsFan; 09-30-2002, 08:09 AM.
                        I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Halbert
                          I'm Not Normal
                          • Jul 2002

Every RB goes through a fumble streak at some point. Even Thurman had his moments. Travis has never been a fumbler, he'll be fine. I thought GW handled it perfectly - sit him for a couple series then bring him back in.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                            • Aug 2002

I don't know that Thurman had fumbles in 4 straight games and 2 in a row that gave the opposing team defensive TD's. Besides, Thurm saved his fumbles for the SB. OOCH!
                            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

keep the faith guys

hey Wys,the young guys are going to make mistakes whether it be penalties or turnovers.i have a feeling that we'll see this a lot this year.we're fortunate to have a veteran,like bledsoe,to bail us out like he did with the BEARS.these experiences that our young guys are going through will make them better football players down the road.it kind of reminds me of the mid-late 80's when we had a young jim kelly and a young thurman thomas.
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X