PDA

View Full Version : So Who Knows the Curse?

RedEyE
10-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Ok, what's the story for this lifetime of Bills woes? Was there a malicious goat performing malice deeds and Wilson had him extracted from Ol' War Memorial? Perhaps a distant relative of the great Bambino himself wandered on to the Bill's practice field at one time. Regrettably, (unknowingly perhaps), the coaching staff treated him poorly sending him packing to the Jets?

The late 80's / early 90's were great times, but those years seem to find similar results. I've never been one to find that things come easy in life. I've fought for every inch along the way. So in reality, being a fan of team that delivers decades of disappointment doesn't exactly hit me with any surprise. I just don't want to have to come to grips with the fact that the Bills just might be one of "those teams". Producing on occasion, yet never really going anywhere.

Perhaps the best that we've seen was 4 straight Super Bowl losses? Can that possibly be it for this team? Will we become the Cubs and Red Sox of football?

My dedication is as thick as GW's head, and twice as pliable.

.....but these constant melodramatic years of disappointment..............how much can one fan take? I mean the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the young Baltimore Ravens have Super Bowl crowns? Where did we go wrong?

The 4 Super Bowl losses are one thing, but there was wide right........I've seen a HOF Bills running back chased down by police through the city of LA, persecuted on national TV for murder, and released for acts that he unquestionably did commit.....I've seen throwbacks to end a season, catapulting the opposing team past an AFC championship that obviously belong to us......Short QB's with big hearts with an incredible ability to win just benched prior to a playoff race ......the greatest comeback ever directed by a backup QB only to be foiled once more in the end......a team with a line labeled the "Electric Company" that only blacked out when needed most........fumbling Joe Cribbs....turncoat Fred Smerlas.....etc. etc. etc. etc. and now this. A team with all the talent in the world that lacks motivation and heart. What next?

If it wasn't for the poor performance years prior to my birth, I might think that I was the one cursing the team. After all, I was born the end of August 1973, the same year and month the inaugural game was played at Rich Stadium.....I think we lost to Washington that game in front of 80,000 fans ......my Grandfather being just another long face in the crowd (I swear I could hear the man cursing the Bills last Sunday, God rest his soul).

Whatever the cause for this unnecessary pain I can't pull myself from the tube for very long. My face turns red with anger, but much a like parent would for their undisciplined child, I find myself loving this team unconditionally. Watching consistently. Disappointing me again and again.

Sometimes I wonder if this is my hell. Like the poor bastard in Dante's Inferno who continuously pushed a rock up the side of mountain, only to slip, or let go just before reaching the precipice forcing him to brush himself off and start again.

Are the Bills my rock?

If so, I must be dropping the rock rather early this year. This Bills team is falling hard and fast

mybills
10-30-2003, 12:35 PM
:rofl:

I've been watching this since 1969.

..it's all about the numbers! :snicker:

The Natrix
10-30-2003, 12:48 PM
:bf1:

Earthquake Enyart
10-30-2003, 12:54 PM
2 AFL titles in the 60's. We have the Cubs, Red Sox and White Sox beat.

R. Rich
10-30-2003, 01:30 PM
"The Curse"? Oh, that's an easy one:

You see, the football gods decided to punish Penn State by 'cursing' all their RBs to fail in the pros, and...

Oh, you meant the Bills' curse, didn't you? I didn't know there was one. Your post does point out how close we've come only to have a misfortune of some type spoil it, though.

XNOUGHT
10-30-2003, 01:34 PM
0-4 in the Super Bowl is proof.

The Bills AND Vikings are CURSED!

Turf
10-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT
0-4 in the Super Bowl is proof.

The Bills AND Vikings are CURSED!

And both have a suburb called Rochester........

lordofgun
10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
And both have a suburb called Rochester........

That explains it.

Captain O
10-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't call Rochester, NY a suburb. Orchard Park is a suburb. Amherst is a suburb. The Tonawandas are suburbs. Rochester is to big and too far away to be included in that category. Sorry. Just getting a bit technical on the terminology.

mchurchfie
10-30-2003, 02:49 PM
It all started when Ralph went down to "The Crossroads" to make a deal for Jim Kelly....:wail:

Earthquake Enyart
10-30-2003, 03:18 PM
I think it has something to do with Preston Ridlehuber. :couch:

mchurchfie
10-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I think it has something to do with Preston Ridlehuber. :couch:
:lol::rofl:
Preston Ridlehuber (http://slate.msn.com/id/88889/)

BillyT92679
10-30-2003, 08:33 PM
There is that cemetery next to the Ralph. Maybe the Sheldon Family does not want the Bills to win it all.

WG
10-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Captain Obvious
I wouldn't call Rochester, NY a suburb. Orchard Park is a suburb. Amherst is a suburb. The Tonawandas are suburbs. Rochester is to big and too far away to be included in that category. Sorry. Just getting a bit technical on the terminology.

Not to mention the source of a lot more capital and world renowned business than Buffalo.

WG
10-30-2003, 09:04 PM
BTW, very nice RE!!!

RedEyE
10-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
BTW, very nice RE!!!

Thanks, man.

MTBillsFan
10-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

:lol::rofl:
Preston Ridlehuber (http://slate.msn.com/id/88889/)

My late Grandmother is buried at that cemetary, and she was one of the biggest Bills fans around! Eventually, we'll overcome this league conspiracy...:cheers: