PDA

View Full Version : Giveaway / Takeaway

LtBillsFan66
10-30-2003, 01:13 PM
The Bills are ranked #31 with a -9. Only the Arizona Cardinals are worse with a -14.

Surprise surprise. KC is #1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=givetake&pos=off&league=afc&order=true&season=2&year=2003

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=givetake&pos=off&league=nfc&order=true&season=2&year=2003

Rude American
10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Our guys obviously need bigger hands.

LtBillsFan66
10-30-2003, 01:17 PM
The lack of takeaways kills me.

lordofgun
10-30-2003, 01:38 PM
We weren't giving it away much until last week. :mad:

LtBillsFan66
10-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

True. How many? 7 right? Sheesh!

WG
10-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Well, we had 19, so if we had 7 v. the Chiefs, we still averaged almost 2 per game elsewhere. Not bad, but not good either even in spite of that KC game. The top 8 teams all had single digit TOs in all 8 games.

Sadly I have a hunch that ain't gonna improve considering that we face 4 of the league's current top 10 scoring Ds, with the Jets improving at #16, the Giants at #17, and only Houston not playing good D.

Not only that, we're having the exact same takeaway difficulties we had last season. We have ten, 4 of which came in week 1 v. NE. Since we've only had 6 in 7 other games for less than 1/game after that.

Billzz
10-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Lack of discipline with 7 turnovers.

If a different coach was running this team somones ass would be hanging from a pike at the entrance to the practice field. What's GW do? Gives em the friggin day off.

I think this should be the biggest stressed item off the first week, not R and R. Get em on the field and double cover every G-Damn reciever while sending 8 linemen at Bledsoe to make him learn how to think under pressure. This guy has got to get rid of the ball in a 3 step drop, every team sends the house at him and they know they can reach him.

The line needs to learn PASS protect. First 2 games that's all they had, now they can run block but not pass protect? WTF is that all about. Assistant coaches need to grab the bull by the horns and teach these guys fundamentals that apparently they are lacking cause we all know GW isn't gonna do it.

Being nice and having a spa/resort atmoshpere didn't work in pre-season so wtf makes manboobies think it's going to work now with half the season gone? My biggest gripe is them not being able to adept to new sets of circumstances on and off the field. There has been no deviation whatsoever to any setbacks they have faced, minus the TKO players only meeting which lasted all of one game.

Somone needs to go in the locker room and kick these guys square in the nuts. Your in the NFL being paid millions to be good at what you do and SHOULD NOT need a motivitional speech to get you up for the game. Even with crappy coaching these guys should be at bare minumum doing what by now should come naturally.

/Rant off

WG
10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Again, and not to be negative but critical for sure, wasn't the reason we picked up Milloy, Spikes, Posey to increase our takeaways?

So why hasn't that done the trick?

IMO it's the line b/c w/o a line you can't generate any pressure and no pressure equals no forced mistakes. But again, that brings us back almost solely to the DL.

Turf
10-30-2003, 02:04 PM
I think everyone feared us weak at the DE position. They can get some sacks when ahead, but not when behind.

lordofgun
10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
And that stupid 46 D has GOT to go.

TedMock
10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
DE's are killing us more than any other position on defense. 2 half way decent DE's would make a huge difference. Schoebel is an okay pass rusher when he can T-off and go but if the offense isn't spread out or is running he's not worth much. Denney hasn't shown much yet either. Offensively, it's KG first, right guard second.

TedMock
10-30-2003, 02:13 PM
The 46 was a very good scheme until it came here. Again...DE's. We don't have Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Sean Jones or Jevon Kearse. They all played great in the 46 and all played for the #1 defense in the league at point or another while in the 46. We have Schobel and Denney.

Turf
10-30-2003, 02:30 PM
My fear is next year we pick up a DE and loose a CB.

LtBillsFan66
10-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
My fear is next year we pick up a DE and loose a CB.

Who?

Do you think Marcus Jones has kept in shape?

Turf
10-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Some free agent DE, I havent looked that far ahead, I'm sure 20 people on here could elaborate on who will be free.
I hope we don't lose Winfield.

LtBillsFan66
10-30-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Some free agent DE, I havent looked that far ahead, I'm sure 20 people on here could elaborate on who will be free.
I hope we don't lose Winfield.

Oh next YEAR. I thought it said next week.

Billzz
10-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Jevon Kearse is a FA next year:)

WG
10-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Jevon Kearse is gonna be both overrated and overpriced. Once the national media gets done he'll go for $2M more than he should.

TH,

With the absolute vacation on the DL we simply can't afford to worry about acquiring a CB. Besides, let Thomas or McGee do the job. I don't think either is worse than AW in coverage, perhaps better. I actually like what I see outta McGee this year. I'm curious to see him play CB some.

We can do w/o the run support from our CB where AW excels and can easily more than make up for that w/ great DL play. But right now we simply don't have the horses.

Offseason moves:

Adams either needs to go or accept vet min. I say cut his lard ass.

Denney, Kelsay can be kept for depth, but neither will become what we need at DE. So we'll need at minimum a DE and DT and that's assuming that we keep Schobel. Even then, what will we have for depth in case of injury?

We've still been pretty fortunate w/ injuries on our lines. Can you imagine if JJ, PW, MW went down? Disaster!

So we'll need some depth too. In addition, what about the OL? Gotta find some guys there. It'd be nice to replace Pucillo, Teague, and Brown, but there's no way we'll be able to address all five of those things even tho they'd be priorities.

Brown isn't worth what he's getting so maybe an even cut/pickup swap w/ a cap benefit by cutting him may work. If I'm readin' our cap page properly, and I'm probably not, :D, can we save $4M by cutting RB? If so, that's a done deal! For $4M we can get both a decent C and a nice G for perhaps only another M or 1/2 M. That'd be sweet.

Either way, if we go off again drafting "the best athlete available" again, and our first four rounds of not our primary needs, I'm gonna "burn the building down." After I scream of course. :D

We have plenty of CBs, Ss, WRs, RBs, TEs. We need G, C, DE, DT, and QB primarily. We could actually fill our entire draft with those positions and still have another need on the lines for depth.

TD's strategy has to change however from one of waiting until all the FAs are gone to one of fill your needs early and quit trying to grab all the "deals" of aging vets coming off injuries. As well, if we sign another player that was on IR this season I'm gonna "burn the building down."

If McGahee fails, too bad. We'll have to just suck it up then and not draft or sign another RB until at least the following offseason.

WG
10-30-2003, 09:21 PM
BTW, by my count, there are 22 players on the Bills that were not on the team last year. That's 22 of 53 roster spots or over 40%. At some point we're gonna have to trust our own rookies and young guys entering their second and third seasons. Why draft them, Sullivan and Wire, if all we're (TD)'s gonna do is sign a FA to take their spot a season later. Gotta let these guys develop and that last time/place you want them developing is in a year that you're supposed to challenge.

TD's plan was for this year but next year for sure. No rebuilding should take any longer than 3 to 4 years I don't care what shape the team was in. If we can't make the playoffs next season on our own merits and not b/c other teams backed out or b/c we had an easy schedule, then TD has failed.