PDA

View Full Version : What I think TD is Doing...

EM Bills Fan 80
10-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I think the reason TD hasnt fired GW yet is because of the fact that Brian Billick may be available as a Head Coach following the season. I think BB would make an excellent Head Coach here. Your thoughts?

WG
10-30-2003, 09:03 PM
I'd take him pending who else is available. I'm sure he'd give Gilbride a kick in the ass outta here if TD didn't. I'm not sure BB and TD would rub well together tho. Billick seems like a straight shooter while TD to me seems a little more political and not as straight forward and terse as BB. I see tension if those two had to work together.

Someone else pointed out that TD needs someone that wouldn't threaten his "headship" as the GM. I can't say that I see BB being that person if his ways rubbed with TD's bumbling offseason moves. Billick knows what's important, the lines. I can see a monster conflict there between the two with TD trying to "sell more tickets" by signing more skill position players w/ BB trying desparately to amass the size and strength on the lines that would make any QB, RB, and back 7 shine.

Jeff1220
10-30-2003, 09:42 PM
I've brought this up a few times already. Billick, imo, is just the type of arrogant SOB that can give this team some attitude and identity. His teams in Baltimore have overachieved. The only knock I have on him is his not being able to stick with 1 QB for more than a year.

WG
10-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Then again, it's not like he's had choices like Montana, Young, and Culpepper either.

Jeff1220
10-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Then again, it's not like he's had choices like Montana, Young, and Culpepper either.

True, but you'd think a coach would stick with a QB that played well enough for the team to win the Super Bowl.

WG
10-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Indeed. You'd think that a GM/HC tandem would stick w/ a OG that played pretty well the year prior w/o replacing him w/ a second-year 7th rounder w/ absolutely no experience too.

Jeff1220
10-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Indeed. You'd think that a GM/HC tandem would stick w/ a OG that played pretty well the year prior w/o replacing him w/ a second-year 7th rounder w/ absolutely no experience too.

Few of us would argue with that Wys.

WG
10-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Judge, BFO, and Spaz would...

:D

The Spaz
10-30-2003, 11:31 PM
Judge, BFO, and Spaz would...

Hey I think Pucillo should ride the pine as much as you do. I have no idea what Marques Sullivan did to lose his job but he needs to get back in the lineup.

ryven
10-31-2003, 08:05 AM

agreed he hasnt had any star QBs but that could change with boller being around thats if he stays with the ravens. he would be a good fit for the bills IMO.

Gunzlingr
10-31-2003, 09:26 AM
I think it is a ploy to lure our second half opponents into a false sense of security so we can whup 'em.

Novacane
10-31-2003, 10:06 AM
What makes you think Billeck will even be available? Hes a Super Bowl winner that only had a bad couple seasons because they had a sal cap purge. I don't see him as being in trouble

Stewie
10-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Normally I wouldn't see Billick as being on the hot seat but the Ravens are changing ownership. You never know which direction new leadership will take.

Jeff1220
10-31-2003, 01:47 PM
Exactly PaulB. Bisciotti, who will take over full ownership from the Modells after this season, is not a fan or even a supported of Billick. To put it simply, they just don't get along. There is a lot of speculation around here that he will be gone despite his success (this does happen, just ask Steve Mariucci).
I like the idea of Billick coaching this team. He hires competent coordinators, who he has faith in. He is great as a motivator and confidence builder. And, over the past few years, few coaches have done as much with as little.

(Not really relevent, but his name is
BILLick

Earthquake Enyart
10-31-2003, 01:59 PM
There are going to be several big name coaches available:

Reeves
Wade
Billick (Mr. Mirror)
Haslett
Schottenheimer
Jauron

I don't particularly care for any of them, and TC will not hire a strong personality anyhow.

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Haslett has fallen on his face the past 2 seasons.

Coughlin, or Nick Saban interests me a bit. Do you think Saban would bolt LSU if Spurier heads back to the SEC?

Earthquake Enyart
10-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Nick Sabin has some sort of tie to Jerry Angelo and will be HC of the Chicago Bears next year.

I wouldn't mind Schottenheimer.

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 02:43 PM
I've got mixed feelings about that- he flopped in Washington (who hasn't) and now in SD

But look at others who have tried to win there.

ryven
10-31-2003, 02:44 PM
has shottenhiemer really done anything? the one thing I really like about him is commitment to the run.

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 02:46 PM
He's been to a zillion playoff appearances with the Browns and Chiefs- a hard nosed guy- but not a lot of playoff wins.

Miles ahead of what we got though-

ryven
10-31-2003, 02:48 PM
thats true but what do you guys think about reeves

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Reeves has health issues- bad ticker.

I think they are about equal, and I like Schotty's smashmouth much better than Reeve's finesse.

Reeves has the most Super Bowl appearances as any one in the NFL as a Player, assistant coach, and head coach- (almost a dozen I think) with 3 franchises

Schotty is a throw back to the 1960's championship teams.

This is Schotty's record as a coach

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Interesting note- Look at Schotty's record in the AFC west- 1 st or second with Denver (and reeves) and the Raiders as competition- along with the Chargers making a supr Bowl appearance.

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Wow, and only 1 losing season out of 17 ( this will make it 2 of 18)

ryven
10-31-2003, 03:01 PM
and we cant say these teams have alwas had the greatest talent.

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 03:04 PM
His QB's- Bernie Kosar, Rich Gannon, Steve Bono, Montana in his last 2 years, Elvis Grbac , Brad Johnson, Brees....

ryven
10-31-2003, 03:08 PM
what a change eh

Earthquake Enyart
10-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Marty will play the smashmouth game that we think this team can play.

I bet he doesn't throw 80% of the time on 3rd and 1.

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 03:35 PM
I'm converting- :D

Michael82
10-31-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'm converting- :D

Me too! :D

helmetguy
10-31-2003, 07:19 PM
I'm already on board.

ublinkwescore
11-01-2003, 11:22 AM
What about Mike Shanahan?

any chance he'll be available - even if we had to pull off some sort of a Tampa Bay-Oakland trade to get him - to me he'd be worth it - we've got the fast linebackers that he likes to have along with a big dline, Elway was a pocket passer with limited rushing ability (although he was a better rusher then Bledsoe by far), not to mention Denver really hasn't done anything since playing in their last superbowl with him. Maybe a change of scenery could do both teams some good.

Dozerdog
11-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Nope-

He wants to stay in Denver- Gruden wanted out and Al wasn't going to get him to re-sign with a new contract. So Al took what he could get.

Shanny will be at Denver as long as he wants.

ublinkwescore
11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
As far as Haslett goes - you guys seem to forget that he's on a team with a bunch of me players and locker-room cancers.

Players sleeping with other players wives, players stealing money from other players - he's not exactly given an environment to win in - yet he's put together the only teams the last few years to pull off consecutive wins against the most serious superbowl contenders (the Rams, and the Bucs).

I'd give him a chance in Buffalo.

Dozerdog
11-01-2003, 12:05 PM
This is what I'd like to see-

Tom Coughlin-

OR

Marty Schottenheimer- with Haslett as DC ? maybe keep Lebeau as a consultant on defense. Haslett & LeBeau, if I'm not mistaken, coached Pittsburgh's defense to a SB in 1995.

On offense, it's smashmouth football- with a deep threat now and again- a thropwback to the Raiders of the 1970's- Pound the ball with a vertical passing game as an added threat.

Dozerdog
11-01-2003, 12:12 PM
My Bad- Haslett became DC at Pittsburgh a year later- replacing LeBeau as DC after LeBeau went to the Bengals

Halbert
11-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Who slept with whos wife?

Halbert
11-01-2003, 05:46 PM
c'mon. Inquiring minds want to know.

cordog
11-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Horn slept with Roaf's wife

Halbert
11-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Oh wait, I did hear about that. I heard that is was BS though.

ublinkwescore
11-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Whatever you say Willie Roaf.

ublinkwescore
11-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Whatever happened to the Herman Edwards talk?

ublinkwescore
11-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Herman Edwards, Brian Billick, or Haslett would be my top choices - or an Edwards coached team with a Billick for O coordinator, or Haslett for D coordinator, or Edwards coaches, and the other two coordinate - that would be the sweetest thing to happen to the Bills while we're this talent laiden - we'd be unstoppable in 2 seasons.

Bottom Line - GW HAS GOT TO GO.

Billzz
11-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Billick had Trent Dilfer who is the biggest sack of crap this side of RJ. Best thing he ever did was dump him after his mediocre year even if he did when the SB.

Let me take that back he didn't WIN the superbowl, rather he didn't LOSE the SB for them. Ravens won on defense and a power running game, period. All Dilfer had to do was hand the ball off, dump some passes and watch the clock.

Here's his glorious 10 year career stats.

CAREER 1420Comp 2556Att 16687yds 55.6% 6.53YPA 83Long 93TD 101INT 71.2Rating 207ATT 768YDS 3.7Average 28Long 5TD

On a side note he has had a few injuries and something no one would even wish on his worst enemy with his 5 year old son.

Jeff1220
11-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Dilfer was not good, but Grbac was downright horrid for the Ravens. Plus, if I remember correctly, Dilfer had a pretty big game in the SB.

WG
11-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
As far as Haslett goes - you guys seem to forget that he's on a team with a bunch of me players and locker-room cancers.

Players sleeping with other players wives, players stealing money from other players - he's not exactly given an environment to win in - yet he's put together the only teams the last few years to pull off consecutive wins against the most serious superbowl contenders (the Rams, and the Bucs).

I'd give him a chance in Buffalo.

Ahhh, so that's where "Playmakers" gets it's material...

WG
11-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Billzz
Billick had Trent Dilfer who is the biggest sack of crap this side of RJ. Best thing he ever did was dump him after his mediocre year even if he did when the SB.

Let me take that back he didn't WIN the superbowl, rather he didn't LOSE the SB for them. Ravens won on defense and a power running game, period. All Dilfer had to do was hand the ball off, dump some passes and watch the clock.

Here's his glorious 10 year career stats.

CAREER 1420Comp 2556Att 16687yds 55.6% 6.53YPA 83Long 93TD 101INT 71.2Rating 207ATT 768YDS 3.7Average 28Long 5TD

On a side note he has had a few injuries and something no one would even wish on his worst enemy with his 5 year old son.

What's funny about that post is that the circumstances for Drew's Pats advancing in the POs are identical to what you stated above for the Ravens in the SB, and everyone here completely denies it. It's that type of stuff I get a kick out of.

BTW, Dilfer's playoff and SB performances in Baltimore put Drew's career PO numbers to open shame!

It's funny to watch some of you guys defend Drew's playoff numbers of 5 TDs, 12 INTs, ~ 200 YPG, and a what, 5.3 YPA while criticizing a QB who during the Ravens' SB season was:

35 of 73, 47.9%, 590 yards (148 avg.), 3 TDs, 1 INT.

Bledsoe's career PO numbers in full games played:

119 of 231, for 51.5%, 1,233 yards (205 avg.), 5 TDs, 12 INTs

There's really little difference. What, 3% compl. % does that? I don't think so! Just as with most QBs, Bledsoe does less with more. Bledsoe had far more talent around him as well. Martin then was better than Lewis was. Bledsoe had Coates and WRs that Dilfer simply didn't have. So there's nothing there.

See, in many of your minds it's the yards that matter. Well, and this is one of the primary differences all along, to me it's the 3/1 and 5/12 TD/INT ratios that matter. But hey, since in Buffalo INTs don't seem to matter, especially not more than RJ's sacks did, I can see why that's the reigning philosophy. Meanwhile, perhaps if Drew had played more like Trent, the Pats would have won the SB.

It's just icing on the cake in the argument to realize that Drew's only thrown more TDs than INTs in one playoff game and that game was no more impressive, in fact less so, than most of Dilfer's that season.

Nahhh! There's no Bledsoe bias!

:lolcry:

Some of you crack me up...

Dozerdog
11-02-2003, 01:27 PM
See, in many of your minds it's the yards that matter.

Mind reading?

good one

Dozerdog
11-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
Herman Edwards, Brian Billick, or Haslett would be my top choices - or an Edwards coached team with a Billick for O coordinator, or Haslett for D coordinator, or Edwards coaches, and the other two coordinate - that would be the sweetest thing to happen to the Bills while we're this talent laiden - we'd be unstoppable in 2 seasons.

Bottom Line - GW HAS GOT TO GO.

Herm Edwards isn't going anywhere.

WG
11-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
See, in many of your minds it's the yards that matter.

Mind reading?

good one

No, simple observation and fundamental comprehension of what people write...

;)