PDA

View Full Version : Tagliabue says Billick's replay comments out of line

Gunzlingr
10-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Commissioner Paul Tagliabue’s best guess is the majority of NFL owners will want to keep instant replay despite recent criticism from Baltimore coach Brian Billick.

“They think, three-quarters or more of the clubs will think it’s an important tool in terms of officiating in the game,” Tagliabue said, admitting he can’t predict the outcome when video review is put to a vote in March.

On the final day of the NFL’s fall meeting Thursday, Tagliabue was strong in his opinion when asked about Billick’s comments.

After two challenged calls went against his team in a victory over Denver last Sunday, Billick had seen enough.

“I quit. I give up,” Billick said. “I’ve tried to be an advocate for instant replay. I’ve tried to do the company line. I’ve said the right things.

“League, I’m sorry. Dump it.”

Tagliabue said Billick’s comments were a “direct and severe violation of our rules about criticizing officiating publicly.”

“I think what Brian Billick said about replay was intolerable, unacceptable, uncalled for and he should be fined,” Tagliabue said, adding he didn’t know if that would happen.

more (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?headline_id=141041)

Cntrygal
10-31-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by gunzlingr
Tagliabue said Billick’s comments were a “direct and severe violation of our rules about criticizing officiating publicly.”

“I think what Brian Billick said about replay was intolerable, unacceptable, uncalled for and he should be fined,” Tagliabue said, adding he didn’t know if that would happen.

Whatever... :rolleyes:

The_Philster
10-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Tags is a moron with those kinds of statememts. Billick simply said replay isn't any good.

The_Philster
10-31-2003, 05:13 PM
The NFL has fined Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick $15,000 for his criticism of referee Johnny Grier the day after an Oct. 19 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

On Friday, league vice president of public relations Greg Aiello confirmed the sanction levied by Peter Hadhazy, the NFL's director of game operations. Billick's comments were viewed as a violation of the NFL policy against public criticism of game officials....
more (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1651158)

Instead of fining the coaches who state the truth, why not fine, or fire, the officials who are completely :angry: blind?

Cntrygal
11-01-2003, 03:47 AM
Not only should the officials be fined for every call they screw up.... those results should be published for us all to see. AND... there should be a point where the idiots are fired.

The_Philster
11-01-2003, 11:20 AM
:bf1: Cntry

Cntrygal
12-06-2003, 06:46 PM
The NFL fined Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher $10,000 for criticizing replay official Dale Hamer after last week's 24-20 loss to Cincinnati.

Cowher drew the fine for publicly criticizing game officials, a violation of league rules. He has since apologized publicly and privately to Hamer, a former referee.

more... (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/nfl/2687918/detail.html)

Dozerdog
12-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Did he ***** about getting extra time to beat the Seahawks?

Cntrygal
12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I highly doubt it.