PDA

View Full Version : Remember when a good chunk of Bills fans hated Jim Kelly?

Patrick76777
10-31-2003, 09:15 AM
I remember as early as 1988, his third year, when people were giving this guy hell! That was just the start, in 1989 there was a full-scale movement to bench the guy for Frank Reich! Remember all the signs? We’ve got the Reich Stuff! Doesn’t it really just seem ridiculous now? I mean, benching Jim Kelly for Frank Reich? But yet there was a push by a good number of fans to make that move! Then the guy retires and he’s a GOD! Everybody loves Jim Kelly, NOW!

Good thing we’re all much more knowledgeable nowadays and we realize that when it comes to winning or losing a football game, It’s about 53 players, a bunch of coaches and about 1 million intangibles! Good thing that as fans in the 21st century, we realize that it’s not just the QB that wins games!

Novacane
10-31-2003, 09:19 AM
No one is saying bench Bledsoe for AVP. BIg differance there! I just want them to look for someone better in the offseason! You are comparing apples with oranges

Ð
10-31-2003, 09:19 AM
Yeah, but Kelly was his own Offensive Coordinator. :D

LtBillsFan66
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Great post!

Novacane
10-31-2003, 09:21 AM
and no................I was not one of the morons that thought Reich should play for Kelly

mybills
10-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Yeah, but Kelly was his own Offensive Coordinator. :D

:lol: True!

TedMock
10-31-2003, 09:22 AM
I remember people screaming for Reich at the stadium. That's when I still lived in B-lo and had seasons. I used to get so pissed off. Fans will be fans. Some are very knowledgeable but many are the typical Monday morning QB's. I've learned to become more tolerable with it but it still annoys me. I do agree that it's collective play and not 1 person or coach that wins or loses. Realistically though we still have to hold each individual accountable for their jobs.

Patrick76777
10-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
No one is saying bench Bledsoe for AVP. BIg differance there! I just want them to look for someone better in the offseason! You are comparing apples with oranges

I didn't say that you were saying that! and that's not my point! My point is that there will always be people who hate the starting QB! it's a fact of football life.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-31-2003, 12:20 PM
I will say with all honesty, I have always loved JK and I never once thought Reich should have been a starter on the Bills.

Patrick76777
10-31-2003, 12:26 PM
Well your name is ghost of JIMKELLY so I have to kinda believe you!

But like my point above, EVERYBODY loves him now! But that wasn't the case back in the day. I remember a home loss to the Saints where he played like crap and I wanted him out of here. But I was 13 at the time.

Earthquake Enyart
10-31-2003, 12:29 PM
I remember people yelling for Gary Marangi and Joe Dufek. :cynic:

But the fans were right about Darryl Lamonica :couch:

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Dan Darraugh Lover! :D

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-31-2003, 12:35 PM
For as long as I can remember Bills fans always called for their QBs and head coaches heads. Then again with some of the QBs and coaches they had, I can see why.

socalfan
10-31-2003, 12:55 PM
I think what made J Kelly great to so many Bills fans is that after he retired, we got to see Todd Collins as the Bills starter. That was a huge dropoff.

helmetguy
10-31-2003, 07:36 PM
It's been said that, when things go awry, the most popular guy on the team is the backup QB! Anybody remember the Bubby/O'Donnell days in Pussburgh?

Mr. Miyagi
10-31-2003, 08:06 PM
I once told Kelly that he was a sissy to his face.

Well he was sitting at the next table and I didn't see him. :D

The_Philster
10-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I once told Kelly that he was a sissy to his face.

Well he was sitting at the next table and I didn't see him. :D

Sounds almost like what helmetguy was gonna say to BRUCE after we lost to the Rams in 98 :snicker:

helmetguy
10-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Glad I didn't! Especially when I ran into him at The Big Tree! *whew*

The_Philster
10-31-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Glad I didn't! Especially when I ran into him at The Big Tree! *whew*

not gonna dish out the story, MEAT? ;)

helmetguy
10-31-2003, 08:14 PM
Which one?

The_Philster
10-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Which one?

The one about what you were gonna say to him and why you didn't

helmetguy
10-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Wait a minute! That babe sittin' next to me there was pretty damned cute!

Mr. Miyagi
11-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Let's hear the story mulletgu...uh I mean helmetguy.

helmetguy
11-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Okay! The story! I'd been into the cider all day, and we got beat by the Rams, I think it was. I told Phil on the way to the Big Tree that I was SO MAD at the way we played that, if I saw Bruce in the "Tree" after the game, I was going to "express my displeasure," in a manner of speaking. Well, guess who shows up in the "Tree" about 20 minutes after we got there! YUP!!! #78...neck optional Bruce himself! Amazingly, Phil found a solution to counter my determination. We found a seat near the door, and he invited several people to join us at it...provided that they block any possible egress by me from the seat. And yes, the lady seated directly next to me WAS a babe...and the guy she was with thought so, too!

Is that the story you mean, Phil?

Halbert
11-01-2003, 07:57 PM
I remember the first game JK played. What a day. I remember him spinning out of a couple of sure sacks to complete nice passes. It was electric.

But he got into this pattern of throwing picks right over the middle. People were all over him about that all season and the next, and yes some people hated him. Funny how that all disappeared when the Bills started winning. Kelly always threw interceptions, he just threw more TD's almost every year and made clutch plays.

The_Philster
11-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Is that the story you mean, Phil?

That's the one though, as I remember it, you were gonna do more than express displeasure...you were gonna call him a pansy or something.
I told the girl sitting next to him to keep him there or else he'd get killed. Thankfully, by the time he was let up, he had calmed down and we had beers with BRUCE and Thurman :beer:

helmetguy
11-01-2003, 08:22 PM
If I had called Bruce a pussy, wouldn't that count as "expressing my displeasure?"

The_Philster
11-01-2003, 08:27 PM
If I had called Bruce a pussy, wouldn't that count as "expressing my displeasure?"

yeah....and woulda also gotten you killed :eek:

helmetguy
11-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
yeah....and woulda also gotten you killed :eek:

Ya think?

He wasn't too pissed that other time I ran into him...literally...was he?

The_Philster
11-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Ya think?

He wasn't too pissed that other time I ran into him...literally...was he?

You weren't calling him names then :cynic:

helmetguy
11-01-2003, 09:03 PM
I clearly remember saying "HOLY ****!" though!

WG
11-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Drew Bledsoe is no Jim Kelly!