Can/Should DB call his own plays next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Can/Should DB call his own plays next year?

If Gilbride gets a head coaching position (which he might) can/should Drew call his own plays next year?
  • BigDoug
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

no

Comment

• Jaded 7
      Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
      • Jul 2002

Yes. If the quarterback has an innate sense of the game, sometimes he can see things that a coach standing on the sidelines can't. I don't think there are a lot of quarterbacks who should be allowed to call the plays, but I think Drew is capable of doing it or at least giving it a try.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
      Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
      The only answer I found for all this hurt
      Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

Gilbride isn't going to get another shot next year as a head coach, so he'll still be calling the plays.
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

that's a tough call.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

No, he shouldn't. He's not Jim Kelly!

If I remember right, he learned several schemes in N.E., but had trouble learning new ones after about the 4th one. Maybe wys can remember, since he's followed Drew's QB'ing? Am I right or wrong wys?
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Jaded 7
              • Jul 2002

Even if that's true, MyBills, that doesn't mean things are going to be the same in Buffalo. Even Wys has admitted that this is the best ball Drew has played. Things change. I say give him a chance to call his own plays. If he can't handle it, then stop allowing him to do it. We have no idea what he's capable of until we let him try things out.

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

I'm not sure they'll even let him try it Jaded, since he's never called his own plays before. But I think it would be interesting to find out if he can.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Jaded 7
                  • Jul 2002

I think it's definitely something worth trying out. Let him call a few plays during a game and see how he does. If he's good, let him call more during the next game. If he isn't then stop the experiment. The Bills finally have a good, solid quarterback, they should test him and see exactly what he can do for them. :)

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Pride
                      • Jul 2002

I do not think he should be allowed to this season. KG is doing a good job thus far. But, in the event that KG leaves in the future, DB should know the offense well enough to call his own plays. That would ease the transition from KG to a new Off Coor.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

It's a little premature to talk about KG leaving. His last head coaching experience was a disater, and he still has that Buddy Ryan stigma over him. I can't see him getting offered a job. At least for the next year or two.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                          • Jul 2002

Can somebody please explain to me what plays have been so unusual, or what combination of plays called prior to yesterday's 4th Q effort were so spectacular that it makes Gilbride the hero??

I just don't get it. The play-calling other than in spots of yesterday's game in the first half and in the 4th Q have been as plain and basic as it gets!

Why is Gilbride to be praised for that? If you disagree, point out the series or set of plays that was just so phenominal.

What I see is better players outplaying weaker defenders. Ie., Moulds, Price, Reed, JR all outplaying their coverage. Or by virtue of us having 4 receivers line up teams can't match up. The reason we were passing was b/c we couldn't run.

I just don't know why Gilbride is viewed as a genious now...
                          Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                            • Jul 2002

I will say this much, we'll find out how good he is. B/c starting next week he's gonna have to get a little more creative IMO.
                            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BigDoug
                              1-800-SAD-GOAT
                              • Jul 2002

Look where creative gets you....i.e. the endless end-arounds Randy Moss foo foo play calling LOL

Or how @ The Greatest Show on Turf that's been soundly turfed this year...

I'll take gilbrides "unimaginative" play calling any day

Comment

Working...
                              X