PDA

View Full Version : Why TD is hanging with GW

The_Philster
10-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Does Williams strike anyone as a strong coach? Myself, I'd say no just based on the lack of effort the players have seemed to put in on the field over the majority of the season. Add in the fact that he came in promising to improve the discipline and instead has had one of the most penalized teams in the league for 3 years straight.
Remember how Donahoe got tossed out of Pittsburgh in a power strugle with Cowher? Cowher, while a meathead, is a strong coach. His players play hard for him and are usually in the middle of the league in penalties.
With Williams in the job here, TD doesn't have to worry about a coach who's going to force him out of office by being too strong. :feedback:

Michael82
10-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Not just that....IF Donahoe fires Gregg Williams, it makes him look really bad, because he would be officially declaring him a BUST!

IMO, this could cost Tom Donahoe even more in the long run. He should have fired him and admitted Gregg was a mistake, but now by him taking his side, he is going to start getting some of the blame that he deserves and his "genius" title will go away quickly, if it hasn't already.

Pride
10-31-2003, 04:40 PM
I think TD may be looking back over history, and has probably never found an appointed coach that took over his team midway through the season as having done any better than the guy that was fired.

My guess is TD knows he will be fired (GW that is) and is simply waiting for the end of the season.

Michael82
10-31-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I think TD may be looking back over history, and has probably never found an appointed coach that took over his team midway through the season as having done any better than the guy that was fired.

My guess is TD knows he will be fired (GW that is) and is simply waiting for the end of the season.

You mean, not getting his contract re-newed. The only one getting fired would be Gilbride and Gray. I HOPE! :pray:

helmetguy
10-31-2003, 07:24 PM
Matter of semantics. If you're not invited back after your contract expires, you might as well say you were fired.

BTW, the only reason Cowher stayed in Pussburgh and TD left was that Cowher still had 3 years at $2million per left on his contract when TD's expired. Had the tables been reversed, and Cowher's deal was done, I think Rooney would have hung on to TD. Pussburgh's woes can be tied directly to TD's departure; or, at least, there's a correlation there.

redzone20
10-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Look at the reality..........No name brand strong coach will work for TD. If he fires WIlliams we're stuck with Gilbride or LeBeau neither of which are any better the GW and would want a contract. TD knows GW has to be released but he also knows he will need time to find some dope willing to work for him. Come on Ralph dump these guys

Dozerdog
10-31-2003, 07:39 PM
Welcome aboard, redzone!

If it didn't happen last Monday- it won' happen until January

Turf
10-31-2003, 10:58 PM
TD is hanging with GW cause GW is cool. Get with the game man..... GW's got the nightlife....... TD is getting the crumbs.....

Turf
10-31-2003, 11:01 PM
I forgot, Ralph's got the plane...3 wild and crazy guys.....

Turf
10-31-2003, 11:15 PM
Evening Script:

Ralph: Hey boobman, where we going tonight?

GW: I've got a list of potential female candidates from all over the country that I've compiled.

TD: Man I love lists, organization.......

Ralph: What are we waiting for? YippeeKaya MF

TD: He scares me when he get's like this, give me a scotch.

GW: This one here in At Lan Ta, she is Very A Track Tive.

TD: But how much will she cost us?

GW: Top shelf, she was a stewardess, belly dancer, now she is a psychologist. Her and her friends are available for a wild a crazy time.

TD: I need numbers. How will it profit the Buffalo Bills?

GW: Let's just say, 46 dollars.

Ralph: They better be good for that kind of money.

TD: Running the 46......

Ralph: Like I can wait another day. Scotty, warp 3!

GW: Believe me, I have worked hard on this list

NOW.....WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO FINISH THIS SCRIPT???????

Historian
11-01-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by redzone20
Look at the reality..........No name brand strong coach will work for TD. If he fires WIlliams we're stuck with Gilbride or LeBeau neither of which are any better the GW and would want a contract. TD knows GW has to be released but he also knows he will need time to find some dope willing to work for him. Come on Ralph dump these guys

This is my biggest fear! After screaming for his dismissal for the better part of three years, I just assume write off this season, and wait until January to select a replacement.

WG
11-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by redzone20
Interesting 20!!! I agree that Gilbride would be a disaster and LeBeau wouldn't be any better than he was in Cincy other than the delta in players' performance apart from coaching.

Originally posted by Mike32282
IMO, this could cost Tom Donahoe even more in the long run. He should have fired him and admitted Gregg was a mistake, but now by him taking his side, he is going to start getting some of the blame that he deserves and his "genius" title will go away quickly, if it hasn't already.

You're absolutely correct Mike! TD's starting to embark upon a "fine-line" walk here. The GW issue, Gilbride, McGahee. Since he's gonna do nothing now, GW is a goner given at the EoS. Gilbride however I'm not so sure of. Remember, Gilbride was promoted to QB Coach last year as well. Why? His O struggled immensely, almost as much as now over the last 10 games last season, so why was he promoted? Who's decision was it really?

I'm not so sure that TD is gonna fire Gilbride, his own direct hire. I'm thinkin' it's 50/50 and Gilbride may get promoted to HC where he's "never been a HC" and we'll be treated to a full blown dose of FO-speak propaganda. I can see it now. It'll be a travesty at that point.

Either way, he fires Gilbride, which is necessary, or if he doesn't, if McGahee has any issues at all, meaning he doesn't look very good on the field, or has injury/swelling issues and isn't 100%, we're gonna see the heat cranked WAY up on TD too.

In fact, if TD doesn't cut Adams after the season, Milloy's play doesn't improve and it appears that he in fact is on the downside of his career, and Drew plays even worse over the last part of the season as I've predicted, then this could very well be worse than it was after Butler left. We'd have a whole bunch of marquee players, albeit from former days, who simply aren't performing.

It wouldn't be as bad from a cap perspective. But keep in mind, if TD signs Drew to another contract after next season he's nuts b/c it wouldn't be for any less than it is now and that's WAY too much for the way Drew's played and playing and certainly for how he will be playing. The jig's gonna be up on Drew by then as not only the regional media but the national media join in the "Bledsoe's done" campaign.

Anyway, it's gonna be a situation where all of TD's moves will start to look equally as bad as they did good when he made them. Fortunately for us, as long as he doesn't resign Drew, Drew and Adams are no cap hits anywhere. We'll only have Milloy's to deal with and that's reasonable.

TD's problem is that instead of going out and getting good, up-and-coming youthful talent, he prefers to sign players with the "names" even though they are clearly past their primes or just getting into that phase so he ends up overpaying.

Then again, TD was hired largely for his marketing prowess as a GM as well in that "he was so respected around the league" and all the other accompanying BS so what could we expect! We got "marketing!"

And even if McGahee works out well, and Gilbride team, OC or HC, won't use him properly just as we're not using Henry properly or often enough. So even if McG works out, TD will still have the GW/KG thing making him look bad which will really put the onus on this upcoming offseason for him to have a killer OS.

It should get interesting starting w/ next week's game @ Dallas. We lose that, and it's gonna be the start of a whole string of bad karma. Dallas is good, but they're not that good. They've beat a whole bunch of scrub teams and teams attempting to "find themselves" this year so far. They started 5-1 but they'll go .500 the rest of the way to finish 10-6. They're an average team w/ an exceptional coach but very beatable. I just don't think we have the coaching to beat them. Our coaching in that game, esp. KG, will actually hurt us let alone simply not helping us.

Anyway, the identity of this team is predicated on whether or not we can put the Texans and Boys away, two of the three weaker teams on our schedule over the last 8. If we go 0-2 you can turn out the lights and we can start discussing the offseason for real.