PDA

View Full Version : What I'd like to see happen this offseason

RedEyE
11-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Coaches:

Dump Williams and Gray. It's inevitable at this point. GW is not a leader and he has lost control of this team. Time for him to go.

Hire Coughlin or someone similar in style. Tom Coughlin knows how to handle Kevin Gilbride and can keep him in check. Tom can bring in whatever other coaches he requires just as long as he gets rid of the current OL coach and hires a QB coach for Bledsoe.

Retain LeBeau as DC. He can scrap the entire 46 program and bring in something that works better with the Bills talent.

QB:

Locate Bledose's replacement / understudy via FA or in the draft. Drew has a few years left in him but is obviously on his way out. I'd prefer the search for fresh talent and pull someone out of the draft. This years draft is going to be thick with QBs. There should be enough good talent falling into the second round.

OL:

Locate a decent Center. Someone with girth and speed, but true to his position. Teague can move over into competing for a guard or tackle position and should maintain on the roster as a backup for the center position.

DE:

If we pick up a OL in the 1st round and a QB in the second, then the Bills need to look at FA for Schoble's other bookend.

CB:

Sign Winfield. He is Pro Bowl material and arguably the best open field tackler on the team.

WR:

Reed could possibly recitfy his ways by the end of the season. We need proven deep speed and good hands for a low price to open the long ball. I think that Dennis Northcutt would suffice. He's available after this season. Throw out a bid.

TE:

I like Campbell and Moore does seems capable, but with Bledsoe at the helm, this team needs a solid hot TE like Metzalars (sp?), or Mckellar to make a run next year.
Good TE's that I think will be available next year:

Doug Jolley. Teyo Johnson just took the starting position, but Jolley is no joke. Gannon is similar to Beldsoe in ways and I think that he could fit into the the Bills offensive system pretty eaisly.

Christian Fauria: Great blocking TE that has good hands. Graham took the starting job away from him because he just quicker speed and greater size. Bledsoe already knows his abilities.

Freddy Jones: A little older than most, but could come cheap with little bargining. He has to be tired of Arizona's ways.

McGahee...........

We have no idea what this guy can do yet. Insert him into the lineup and have Henry and McGahee battle it out in camp for starting position. Shopping Henry is not an option until McGahee proves his worth. We may have to hold onto both next season and shop one of them in 2005.

WG
11-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Here's a thought, any team that has an OC who "needs to be handled" should simply get rid of that OC! IMO if Gilbride is here w/ the team in any capacity, it's not a good sign that TD is making moves consistent w/ the best interests of this team and that his loyalties lie more with his friendships and buddies than they do to Bills football. It will cost TD/the Bills ticket sales next season if Gilbride is here as anything other than the janitor. Gilbride is more at fault than GW is although both need to go.

I'm not so sure on D tho. I have a hunch that it's LeBeau's influence that is damaging our defensive effectiveness.

But as long as we're dreaming:

Fire GW, Gilbride, and the entire rest of the O staff, Ruel in particular.

Dump Drew and his $6M salary. Pick up any experienced QB to replace him. Maybe Jonathan Quinn. The pickings are light. Then draft our QB of the future.

Pick up a G like Timmerman who would be good for a couple of years for not a lot of green. There's no way we'll be able to build a great starting OL and DL w/o getting some aging vets capable of playing the position well but only for a year or two.

I'd make due w/ the secondary that we have and only sign Winfield for $3/yr. or less out-the-door. Otherwise, we run w/ Reese, PP, Wire, and Milloy at Ss, Thomas, Clements, McGee, at CBs plus whoever else we have or can get cheap.

LBs, get rid of Posey if possible. Overpaid. Draft a MLB to challenge or eventually replace Fletcher. Play Crowell on the outside. If he's not capable, fire TD.

WRs: Stay as is. Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Coleman, and Aiken

RBs: Stay as is: Henry/McG. Don't need any more.

TEs: Stay as is: Campbell resign and Moore for depth.

OL & DL: Use 4 of our first 5 picks to select linemen and a QB! Grab another one or two via FAcy.

RedEyE
11-01-2003, 05:12 PM
First off, face the facts, TD is going no where. It's going to take several years of disappointment before he's cut loose. We'd might as well settle down, suck it up and focus on the positive things that he's done for the team.

We can't afford to dump everyone and everything and expect an immediate upgrade. The changes that do occur must be measured considerably and decided on carefully. You start x-ing contracts and not only will there be high dollars adding up on the sal-cap, but talented players like Moulds will want out of the organzation as well.

Gilbride is fine when contained. He just needs to relinquish control. If you give a OC complete access to the playcalling, his judgement becomes impaired and he just wants to ignite it downfield every play. Much like a child in a room full of a candy, if you don't monitor him from time to time, he's going to go hog wild and overboard. Under Coughlin's reign in JAX'ville, Gilbride did fine. He just needs to be kept in check.

You can't use the draft to address all the issues on the offense line, the defensive line and then expect to draft a future QB. Drew is being paid regardless. He has talent and understands the game. Keep him and utilize him like Trent Green is being used in KC.

dolfan
11-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Coaches:

Dump Williams and Gray. It's inevitable at this point. GW is not a leader and he has lost control of this team. Time for him to go.

Hire Coughlin or someone similar in style. Tom Coughlin knows how to handle Kevin Gilbride and can keep him in check. Tom can bring in whatever other coaches he requires just as long as he gets rid of the current OL coach and hires a QB coach for Bledsoe.

Retain LeBeau as DC. He can scrap the entire 46 program and bring in something that works better with the Bills talent.

QB:

Locate Bledose's replacement / understudy via FA or in the draft. Drew has a few years left in him but is obviously on his way out. I'd prefer the search for fresh talent and pull someone out of the draft. This years draft is going to be thick with QBs. There should be enough good talent falling into the second round.

OL:

Locate a decent Center. Someone with girth and speed, but true to his position. Teague can move over into competing for a guard or tackle position and should maintain on the roster as a backup for the center position.

DE:

If we pick up a OL in the 1st round and a QB in the second, then the Bills need to look at FA for Schoble's other bookend.

CB:

Sign Winfield. He is Pro Bowl material and arguably the best open field tackler on the team.

WR:

Reed could possibly recitfy his ways by the end of the season. We need proven deep speed and good hands for a low price to open the long ball. I think that Dennis Northcutt would suffice. He's available after this season. Throw out a bid.

TE:

I like Campbell and Moore does seems capable, but with Bledsoe at the helm, this team needs a solid hot TE like Metzalars (sp?), or Mckellar to make a run next year.
Good TE's that I think will be available next year:

Doug Jolley. Teyo Johnson just took the starting position, but Jolley is no joke. Gannon is similar to Beldsoe in ways and I think that he could fit into the the Bills offensive system pretty eaisly.

Christian Fauria: Great blocking TE that has good hands. Graham took the starting job away from him because he just quicker speed and greater size. Bledsoe already knows his abilities.

Freddy Jones: A little older than most, but could come cheap with little bargining. He has to be tired of Arizona's ways.

McGahee...........

We have no idea what this guy can do yet. Insert him into the lineup and have Henry and McGahee battle it out in camp for starting position. Shopping Henry is not an option until McGahee proves his worth. We may have to hold onto both next season and shop one of them in 2005. sounds pretty much like u have to change the whole team, but u know what that probably won't work either :baghead: i guess all the bills fans will be wearing bags next year , you know what maybe you guys should start wearing them this week .