X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pyrrhonist
    • Sep 2003

Pat LaFontaine & Grant Fuhr amongst HOF Inductees

2 of our former Buffalo Sabres are to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame on Monday. During tonight's Philly/Toronto game, there were intros for all 4 inductees. During Pat's intro, the Rick Jeanerette sound bit "La, la, la, LaFontaine" was played. It brought back memories.

Fuhr, LaFontaine join hockey's immortals

For Pat LaFontaine and Grant Fuhr, immortality calls.

Along with Detroit Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch and Brian Kilrea, the highly successful coach of the Ontario Hockey League's Ottawa 67s, they will form the Hockey Hall of Fame induction class of 2003. Media members being inducted in 2003 are Michael Farber of Sports Illustrated and Rod Phillips, the longtime radio voice of the Edmonton Oilers.

The Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place Monday, Nov. 3 in Toronto.

Fuhr, the quiet goaltender who backstopped the brash Oilers of the 1980s to five Stanley Cup championships, was typically humble upon learning of his induction.

"I am extremely excited to join some of my Oiler teammates in the Hockey Hall of Fame," Fuhr said in a statement. "After watching the Oilers as a kid play in the WHA in my hometown, I was extremely fortunate to join a very special group of hockey players on a team that had great success."

Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri are the other Oilers greats already enshrined. Gretzky was inducted in 1999, while Kurri was part of the Induction class of 2001. .
    ....more.....
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Cool They are both well-deserving of this honor
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• pyrrhonist
      • Sep 2003

Agreed, Philster. Here is another article about LaFontaine, it talks of his volunteer work with kids:

Today, LaFontaine assists children

I feel like I'm neglecting Grant and everything he brought to the Sabres.

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pyrrhonist
        I feel like I'm neglecting Grant and everything he brought to the Sabres.
        You shouldn't. The more recent players usually have a few more articles out there about them like this one. Pat remained a big part of the Buffalo community even after he went to the Rangers as I remember. I only regret I never got to watch either of them in a live game...didn't start following the NHL at all until late in the 97 season....after Pat's concussion.
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
          didn't start following the NHL at all until late in the 97 season....

rookie.....
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN

rookie.....
            Hey....at least when I finally started watching, I chose the right team

Comment

• alyson
              Sabre11 Rules the TZ!!!!
              • Sep 2003

Pat LaFontaine is my all-time favorite player and it's really great to see him in the Hall of Fame. When I go to Toronto in January I'll definitely visit and pay homage to him! I had the fortune of seeing him play live... he's great!

Comment

• JD
                Sabres Zone
                • Sep 2003

I used to always do LLLLLLLAFONTAINE voice like Jenneret.
                “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Myers57
                  Registered User and McLovin stunt double
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
                  You shouldn't. The more recent players usually have a few more articles out there about them like this one. Pat remained a big part of the Buffalo community even after he went to the Rangers as I remember. I only regret I never got to watch either of them in a live game...didn't start following the NHL at all until late in the 97 season....after Pat's concussion.

Don't feel bad, I didn't attend my first Sabres game until the 2001-2002 season, right after Hasek left Buffalo...

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Afinogenov61
                    Don't feel bad, I didn't attend my first Sabres game until the 2001-2002 season, right after Hasek left Buffalo...
                    Ha! At least you've been to a Buffalo game...in Buffalo! I'm relegated to attending games when Buffalo visits here in CA. I try and make the trip to either San Josè or LA whenever I can, just to see my fav team. One of these days, I must fly back to Buffalo to attend a game at HSBC.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

pyrrhonist-

Great article on one of my favorite players!

But please do me this favor- we can't post entire articles on the board- It's a copyright violation.

Can you shorten that, put up the source, and a link?

Thanks

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                        Can you shorten that, put up the source, and a link?
                        Sorry, Dozer, I didn't realize that. My apologies.

I'll correct that ASAP.

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                          • Sep 2003

Actually, Dozer, it's saying that I'm beyond the period of editing that post. Can you edit the article out for me? Here's the link:

Fuhr, LaFontaine join hockey's immortals

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                              • Sep 2003

Gracias!!

Comment

Working...
                              X