PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need your support against Wegmans!!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 02:15 PM
So get this!! I was buying some beer on saturday for the game on sunday and I picked up a quarter keg and a few 18 packs cuz I was having a party on saturday night also. I rented the tap and got in line for my beer. while I was being rung up I received a call on my cell phone from my buddy so I was talking on it and half paying attention to the cashier. She gave me a total and I gave her money and I proceeded to walk out of the store and then this lady comes up to me and asks for my receipt. I said sure here it is. She says "Sir you didn't pay for the Keg" I was half stunned really and I looked at it and she was right but I didn't even realize it. So I said oh sorry she must not have charged me for it Let me go back and pay for it. She says no come with me . They tried to arrest me!!! They ended up "letting me off" with a 250 dollar fine!!! and kept me in this room like a criminal for like 2 hrs. It may have been boneheaded on my part but I am not one to steal ever or even get into trouble. It was like they were setting me up or something! Regardless I am very angry at this and will never shop at WEGMANS again and I ask all of you to do the same!!!! To top it all off BTW the beoch at the front desk gave me a tap that didn't work even!!!! WHAT A JOKE WEGMANS!!! Sorry people but I had to get that off my chest!!!:punchu:

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2002, 02:16 PM
They should lock you up and throw away the key!

Novacane
09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Thats BS. It was their mistake.

lordofgun
09-30-2002, 02:19 PM
I will never shop at Wegmans again! But that's just because Mike9020112334 works there.

That sucks man!

ArcticWildMan
Ask for a copy of the store's security camera video. That should prove you were on the phone while you were being rung up and prove your point. Then ask to talk to somebody that is up the "food chain" at Wegmans and get your money back!

lordofgun
I shop at Tops anyway because I'd rather support a Buffalo store than a Rochester store.

Novacane
Who did you have to pay the $250 fine too? Wegmans? No way that would have stood up in court. If your story is exactly as you told it you should have refused to pay and let them arrest you. Then you could have gotten a lawyer and slapped a lawsuit on them.

Valerie
09-30-2002, 02:20 PM
WOW! That's pretty scary, T. And that's a pretty steep fine for something you didn't even intentionally do! There was no discussion, just pay this and you're free or don't pay it and you're going to jail?!? That sounds like B.S. to me. I don't blame you for not shopping there anymore. If I were you, I'd write a letter to the regional manager and explain what had happened. $250 is a lot of money to be out when you didn't do anything wrong.

WCoastFin
09-30-2002, 02:20 PM
Never take your cell phone to wegmans again!!!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Good Idea arctic!! The security guard seemed to think that I said that I paid for the keg already which is ridiculous!! If that were the case where would I have paid for it and why didn't the cash register ask for my receipt. What an FING joke!!! I am going to try to talk to some higher ups artic!!

ArcticWildMan
09-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Just be quick about asking for a copy, Thurm. Most stores write over the old tape every 24 hours.

justasportsfan
09-30-2002, 02:23 PM
I'd sue!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 02:25 PM
Yes it was to Wegmans!!! Well I didn't want to get arrested or anything! I maybe should have done that but I don't really know how the law works in that situation and I am pissed off about it. They made it seem like I was a robbing money or something! The gay thing is I was at Topps and they didn't have any kegs!

Earthquake Enyart
09-30-2002, 02:31 PM
One of my favorite jingles...

Top's Supermarket has people, so you don't have to talk to yourself.........

I bet Mike turned you in.

Valerie
09-30-2002, 02:31 PM
I think in situations like that they know they can intimidate you, knowing you'll just do whatever it is they tell you to do in order to get out of the situation. I think you definitely should request a copy of the store video and then copy it and send it along with a letter to the regional manager and if you know any lawyers, send cc copy to an attorney. You can scare them too. :)

Novacane
09-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Contact a lawyer. I'm now lawyer but that sounds like they were blackmailing you. I own a business and I have no right to "fine" one of my customers if I catch them shopplifting. That is the laws responsibility.

WCoastFin
09-30-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I'd sue!

Id sue Mike9020112334 for working there!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 02:34 PM
I will try that out J!! It was such bs.

WCoastFin
09-30-2002, 02:38 PM
serouisly though bro, that was total BS...remember you are innocent until proven guilty...so I wouldnt worry about it....tell them you refuse to pay and why (thats if you didnt pay already)...tell them you are willing to go to court for it.....and seek some help form an attorney....Good Luck bro but thats no reason why they shopuld take 250 from you.

lordofgun
09-30-2002, 02:40 PM
You actually paid Wegmans the 250???

Sounds like someone was scamming you. If it was legit, you would have been fined by the police, not wegmans. I bet whoever you paid pocketed the money.

Valerie
09-30-2002, 02:43 PM
If you paid them with a check, I would put a stop payment on the check ASAP. Then call an attorney and see what they can do. Either way, the guys are right. You shouldn't have to pay the store. Get cracking T before you can't get a copy of the tape of they cash your check.

Novacane
09-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

I bet whoever you paid pocketed the money.

Took the words right out of my mouth LOG.

WCoastFin
09-30-2002, 02:51 PM
when you paid the fine, did they give you anykind of evidence or ticket or anything saying that they are fining you and why? and something like a reciept saying you paid the fine?

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Well I charged it cuz I didnt' have 250 handy! I do have a copy of the fine. I am going to go back there later today and see if I can talk to someone about this and maybe get a copy of the tape!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 02:59 PM
I mean the tap they gave me didn't even work!!! We had to use a crow bar to get the beer out!

Novacane
09-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Threaten them with a lawyer Thurm. Call you credit card co. and protest the charge too. The cc company will put a hold on your payment until they investigate.

Did they ever have any cops talk to you?

ArcticWildMan
09-30-2002, 03:01 PM
I'd stop payment on your charge. I just don't see a legal case for "fining" you $250.

Go back and ask to speak to somebody higher up. Don't settle for some lame store manager either!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 03:02 PM
Great advice guys thanks!!!!!!!!!

Novacane
09-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Tell em you called channel 4 invetigative reporter and that he told you if you don't come to an agreement with them he would investigate. The last thing these big companies want is bad pub!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 03:23 PM
another fine idea!!!

ArcticWildMan
09-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Have your cell phone handy when you talk with Wegmans. If they refuse to refund your money, just place a call to the News station right in front of them. Bet they change their tune real quick when they see/hear you making that call!!!

Dozerdog
09-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
One of my favorite jingles...

Top's Supermarket has people, so you don't have to talk to yourself.........

I bet Mike turned you in.

I bet Mike was the guy who forgot to ring up the keg...:D

Valerie
09-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog I bet Mike was the guy who forgot to ring up the keg...:D
If that's true, poor Mike has bigger problems than being forgetful. lol

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR ....while I was being rung up I received a call on my cell phone from my buddy so I was talking on it and half paying attention to the cashier. She gave me a total and I gave her money and I proceeded to walk out of the store....
:D

WCoastFin
09-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7

If that's true, poor Mike has bigger problems than being forgetful. lol

:D

LMAO!!!!:lolcry:

dolfan25
09-30-2002, 03:45 PM
Well seeing as it's still summer weather, it looks like the summer of 2002 will be a banner 1 for both Bills players and fans for getting in legal problems.

Seriously what kind of policy is it where you pay the fine directly to the store. Sounds like a way for them to recoup some of their security costs.

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 03:48 PM
I know it is very shady!!!

doug45
09-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
You actually paid Wegmans the 250???

Sounds like someone was scamming you. If it was legit, you would have been fined by the police, not wegmans. I bet whoever you paid pocketed the money.

You can ONLY be fined by a Judge... The store can not and the police can not. I would call the police about this scam.

lordofgun
09-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by doug45

You can ONLY be fined by a Judge... The store can not and the police can not. I would call the police about this scam.

GREAT suggestion! I would call the police as well.

shawn
09-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Which Wegman's location did this happen? I'll make sure to stay away.

Buffarama
09-30-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I mean the tap they gave me didn't even work!!! We had to use a crow bar to get the beer out!

LMAO Thurm.

Wow, talk about getting jammed. I would like to see the picture of you getting the beer out with a crowbar after getting a bum tap for $250. WOW.

In all reality, they don't have a leg to stand on. I would contact someone above the local Wegman level, threaten a lawsuit, and dispute the charge on your credit card, giveem a earful, they don't nee the $250 and they'll back down. Lawyers and bad press are expensive.

ublinkwescore
09-30-2002, 04:12 PM
I really wish that this would have happened to me - especially being out here in Ca - (this was a security guard right). In Ca, theft is described as taking something that doesn't belong to you, with THE INTENT TO PERMANENTLY DEPRIVE IT'S OWNER of said property. Second of all, that security guard can't lay a hand on you at all unless you're in a fight, or you're threatening to cause/bring/use violence. If this Wegman's were stupid enough to try to take you to court, you could probably very easily have the case thrown out if they wrote over the tape already - since the only form of acquitting evidence was destroyed. Also, having non relatives (IE coworkers) testify about your character - "Thurm is an honest coworker, and I would say that I'd trust him in my house to not steal anything". File a civil suit while you're at it, and tell them that you'll call some form of media up to let them know about how they're treating their customers, and how that treatment resulted in them being slapped with a civil suit. Also - ask for an injunction to be imposed on them too (a fine to punish them for their improper behavior resulting in some kind of injury ie. physical, financial etc... to a customer. They'll probably settle with you out of court just to keep their name from being dragged through court, and the media as well.

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 04:28 PM
I was the wegmans on Maple in amherst!!! I should have taken my beer and ran home!!!!

The_Philster
09-30-2002, 04:28 PM
I don't usually shop there anyway...the stores are a maze and you can't find anything. After you told me this story on Sunday, I'm glad I don't shop there.
It was pretty resourceful that you used a crowbar though. ;) You still got your beer. :D

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 04:30 PM
You know it Phil!!! I am a very resourceful young man!

WG
09-30-2002, 04:41 PM
Did you pay them in Zonebucks?

Seriously though TT, here's what you do:

First, you write a letter to the president of Wegmans or Danny Wegman. You tell him the deal and then tell him what happened and make it VERY clear that you are not responsible for their cashiers missing things. There're some details missing here. I'm assuming that perhaps you had a cart and the mini-keg was on the bottom?

In any case, it was an honest mistake on your part. So write that letter and let him know you've already plastered this on some message boards and plan on "telling the truth" on other internet sites as well.

THEN, tell him that it was an honest mistake and it was the teller who made it. Since they saw fit to hold you responsible for the teller's mistake, that you rarely pay attention to your register receipts but will be paying extremely close attention in the future. If they ever overcharge you, that since what's good for the goose is good for the gander by their own rules, that you will then file a lawsuit against them for "intentionally overcharging" their customers.

Anyway, I suspect that if you really write such a letter and express your outrage and disgust, that you'll get some action.

I hope you asked to speak w/ the manager!! ?? As well, someone insisted that you should have asked for their tapes. I am sure that they have/had video of the storefront. Demand a copy of that as evidence that you were attempting to get something for free.

Anyway, I'd have been livid if that had happened to me. If in fact it was on the bottom of your cart, and you hadn't checked your receipt, then someone over there is anal about this episode.

Anyway, I'd make a HUGE stink and first w/ the head of Wegman's, whomever that is these days.

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 04:52 PM
actually it was right in my cart. The security guard claimed that the cashier said that I told her I paid for it already.

1) why would I make 2 separate trips throught the line
2) I absolutly never said anything like that
3) why wouldn't the idiot ask for a receipt then?

All ridiculous things and I am an idiot for letting them get away with this!

Jack In Syracuse
09-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Go to Tops before you have a party again, and have them order you a keg if they don't have what you want in stock. After all, Tops is an offical sponser of the Buffalo Bills. Wegmans decided they could find better use for their money. Apparently, they found out they need more, so they are "stealing" it from their customers now.

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 05:17 PM
Trust me I will be!!!! SCREW YOU DANNY WEGMAN!!!!

Michael82
09-30-2002, 05:23 PM
This is bull**** and someone at the store will get fired for it and they deserve to be fired for it. You are not at fault for anything, except I will tell you one thing....always pay attention to your receipt. I have forgot to rang up something before and usually the manager or runner goes up to them because I told them that I didn't get that item. They take their groceries back to the service desk and they can ring it up there and the customer can go home. NONE of the crap that you went thru has ever happened here and is un necessary!!!

The head of Wegmans is Robert Wegmans. Here's all the information you need.

http://www.wegmans.com/guest/index.asp

We make every effort to respond to your inquiry within a couple of days. If this is urgent, and you need immediate assistance, you can call one of our Consumer Affairs representatives at 1-800-WEGMANS, ext. 4760, Monday - Friday between the hours of 8am-5pm EST.
Or you can write us at:

Wegmans Food Markets
1500 Brooks Avenue
PO Box 30844
Rochester, NY 14603-0844

Thank you for your interest in Wegmans - please visit us again soon!

THATHURMANATOR
09-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info Mike!!!!!!

Cntrygal
09-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Good Luck Thurm....

cntry:stick:incompetent fools

Michael82
09-30-2002, 05:44 PM
on a side note....don't talk on the cell phone while your groceries are being rung up. It's one of my pet peeves. For one....you can't listen to when we ask you questions or ask if you already paid for something. Also, we could be double charging you for an item and you wouldn't know. I would suggest to you and to everyone else here...if you get a phone call on your cell...tell them to call you back! :D

Dudly Do-Right
09-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Wow!! That's a raw deal!!! Best of luck in getting your money back!!

Ð
09-30-2002, 05:51 PM
I'm shopping at Megalomart from now on, Thurm. :D
BTW, could you pick me up a 10 lb box of nutmeg?

Ð
09-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Dudly Do-Right

Hi wys :D

Cntrygal
09-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Dudly Do-Right

Welcome Dudly!!! :)

Dudly Do-Right
09-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Who is Wys?

justasportsfan
09-30-2002, 05:58 PM
The last thing Wegman's needs is bad publicity. I'd threaten to sue and go to the media. If an idiot can sue McDonald's for spilling coffee on himself and win....

Thurm to make up for their actions I think you should let them supply the beer kegs to all the tailgate parties ...or else.

clumping platelets
09-30-2002, 06:03 PM
SUE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

That could be the best $250 investment you'll ever make :)

I'm serious about this..........they messed up and threaten you and it costs you an extra $250?? BS

Never shopped at Wegman's, I go to Tops cuz it's closer

clumping platelets
09-30-2002, 06:06 PM
Call 4 Action on WIVB-TV :)

Cntrygal
09-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The last thing Wegman's needs is bad publicity. I'd threaten to sue and go to the media. If an idiot can sue McDonald's for spilling coffee on himself and win....

Thurm to make up for their actions I think you should let them supply the beer kegs to all the tailgate parties ...or else.

hmm great idea.... but what about throwing in a bottle or two of whiskey for when I make it to town??? Better yet, let's make Wegman's pay for all of us to get to a game... and pay for us out of towners to get there!

:drinker:

ArcticWildMan
09-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Woo-hoo!!!! I'm all for that!!!

Cntry :drunks: AWM

Novacane
09-30-2002, 06:51 PM
The fishiest thing about this whole thing is the $250 "fine"

Damn I wish something like this would happen to me! They would have picked a fight with the wrong person.

Novacane
09-30-2002, 06:52 PM
Thurm...............you must be a really nice guy. They probably sensed that and thats why they took advatage of you. Time to start being a hard ass!

Valerie
09-30-2002, 07:01 PM
People always take advantage of nice people. They see you coming and know they can push you around. I agree, nice people have to stop being nice and start being hard asses! You go first, T. ;)

casdhf
09-30-2002, 07:05 PM
People always take advantage of nice people. They see you coming and know they can push you around. I agree, nice people have to stop being nice and start being hard asses! You go first, T. ;)

Can I have 500 Zonebucks? I need to change someones name :D

justasportsfan
09-30-2002, 07:06 PM

I take it no one's pulled a thing like this on you, Princess? j/k.

OpIv37
09-30-2002, 07:30 PM
well I have mixed feelings on Wegmans- I used to work there so I know the ***** they pull but I've also seen how bad other grocery stores are now that I'm out of the area...

They were clearly wrong on this one- I would fight it cuz they'll bend over backwards to keep a customer (especially one who buys several hundred dollars worth of alcohol).

And if you ask for a tape make sure you go during the day- most of the stores don't have full time security (which is sad- high tech digital security cameras and no one monitoring) and the lazy night managers don't know how to work the equipment.

Michael82
09-30-2002, 08:08 PM
The night managers at my store change the tape each night. They keep the tape for the day and label it and hold onto each day for a little more than a month or so. Go there tomorrow and ask to talk to the security or the STORE MANAGER...tell them everything that happened. Thru all this, you will get your $250 back and maybe even a giftcard for the trouble. Like OpIv37 said...Wegmans HATES to lose customers!!! :D

TigerJ
09-30-2002, 08:30 PM
That's why I don't own a cell phone, Thurm. LOL Seriously, I think you have grounds for a lawsuit, but I am the last person to ask for a legal opinion. I'd call an attorney and ask. The only question is whether a settlement would be large enough to be worth their time. If not you could inquire about small claims court. That's if you don't get satisfaction going through store channels. I'm not in retailing, but I know that stores, restaurants etc. face a big problem in getting ripped off. I know it's not your fault, but they're never going to believe it because anyone who gets caught is going to have some story that makes them innocent. They will try to recoup some of their losses with everyone they catch. They can't do that by being lenient. They would also say, "Well if we let him get away with it, just by paying for the merchandise this time, he'll just try it again." I think if there's any chance to recoup your "fine" you'll have to play hardball to do it.

BTW, I don't shop at Wegmans anyway-too far away to be convenient.

Shiny Chicken
09-30-2002, 09:18 PM
I can understand why they stopped you... I think they had grouds for that.... and I can understand them holding you too....I gotta agree with Mike... bad idea to be on a cell-phone when you're in a situation like that, it distracts you and it frustrates whoever is waiting on you. They probably thought you were running a scam on them.... making sure you were on the phone when you were checking out so it would be difficult for the cashier to ask you questions...

I have a suspicion that perhaps how this started is that the cashier didn't ask you whether you had paid for it already. Security saw you leaving without paying for the keg.... (they watch people that buy expensive items very closely, to make sure they pay for it) they probably then asked the cashier about it, he/she realized the screwed up... lied to save their own ass and that got you in trouble.

You've got to understand why that would be a suspicious situation for them... I have to admit, I think it was in their right to stop you, and to hold you while they sorted it out.... but then someone completely crossed the line in trying to make you pay a "fine"... I really don't think wegmans has such a policy... if they do, then they're ******ed... if they don't, someone should and will be fired. However, I have to say that everything else was within their rights.

What they should have done is call the police and had them take care of the situation, in which case things might have been cleared up just fine.

WG
09-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Gotta agree w/ the chicken here!

Who is Wegman's to impose a fine?!?!

BillsMan80
10-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Hey BD, always, the place to go for me up in WNY and Canada...Tim Horton's. Love the food there, how about yourself eh? Thurm, before every game, make a trip to Tops and Tim Horton's... A winning connection:D!

WG
10-01-2002, 12:11 AM
I've never been to a Tim Horton's.

What is it? Why's it so good? What have they got?

northernbillfan
10-01-2002, 12:19 AM
****ty story Thurm, that would NEVER happen in Canada. If you bought something at one til, and had to move to another for more purchases, they security tag the items you have paid for. And having to pay a $250 fine on the spot sounds too shady to me. Keep an eye on the credit card reciepts for the next little bit. Security guards only make minimum wage, and have a chip on there shoulders.

Tim Hortons have pictures of a hockey player on the walls. Some guy who used to play for Buffalo.

Now he sells coffee, only he's dead, so his name sells coffee. He put his name on a product, then died. Now his family is rolling in dough. Be careful not to put your name on a product, it might not sell until you're dead.

THATHURMANATOR
10-01-2002, 02:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys!! You are all great!! I will let you know my progress!!!

ublinkwescore
10-01-2002, 02:17 AM
That sounds like a winner to me - I live all the way in the west coast - I'd be more then happy to be included on that list - that is if we really want to see them pay - get all the California Bills fans on here a trip to a Bills home game.

Please mail my plane tickets, and Buffalo Bills tickets to:

Loren Phillips
717 Green Sands Ave.
Atwater, Ca. 95301

I'll also take enough money to buy the equivalent of a 6 pack of beer, and a full sized meal from the stadium. And enough for a - ah what the heck, just give me round trip tickets, a ticket to the Bills game (of my choosing), money to stay at a hotel the whole time I'm on the east coast, and enough money for me to eat while I'm there too - (instead of spending the hotel money for a room at a hotel, I'll spend it on beer, and hookers/strippers, and I'll crash at a fellow bills fan's house who has a three day weekend - hookers can be expensive, so hit them up for a lot of money).

THATHURMANATOR
10-01-2002, 02:20 AM
I will see what I can do UB!!!! LOL

Ð
10-01-2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
Now he sells coffee, only he's dead, so his name sells coffee. He put his name on a product, then died. Now his family is rolling in dough. Be careful not to put your name on a product, it might not sell until you're dead.

It's a sad story actually. Tim Horton's widow put all the money made from the donut store up her nose or in her arm.

Wendys now owns the company...I think his widow is living on the street or something now.

timfromjersey
10-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Thurmanator,

I do not quite understand how your story went down. I mean I understand what your saying but your details sound odd. I don't know Wegmans but do know this. Security personnel in private industry do not have the legal power to arrest or hold someone (unless they are an off-duty police officer) You should not have gone with them to any room. If they really thought that you were trying to rip them off, they would have called the police. When the police would have arrived, that fact that you paid for other items while on-line and had enough cash on hand to pay for Keg would have clearly shown the oversight was on Wegman's cashier, and your initial response to correct it would have satisfied the "Real" police (unless they are jerks up by you.) In any case, even if you were arrested by real police, with a clean record, and the somewhat shady circumstances at Wegmans, the case would probably not be persued by a DA.

Also, Wegman's cannot fine you money either. They are not a legal court. What they did was to steal 250 dollars from you. Since you went with them into a closed room, you will never be able to prove that to authorities.

Sounds like Wegmans is doing some illeagal stuff up there. It would be worth it for you to consult a lawyer and follow up on this.

NEVER GO WITH SECURITY PEOPLE AT ANY COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENT. ALWAYS MAKE THEM CALL THE POLICE (if your really innocent) If you are really innocent and they grab you and fight you, you have an incredibe opportunity for a assault and battery, civil lawsuit, as well as an illeagal restraint one as well.

WG
10-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Nicely stated tfj!!

WCoastFin
10-02-2002, 12:33 PM
What ever happened after all any updates?

Creemoredrinker
10-02-2002, 01:12 PM
...please let me know.

I got to this thread late in the game, but if I can help, please let me know.

Spellbound
10-04-2002, 06:50 AM
I've read the post and I think some clarification is needed. First of all, I have worked loss prevention (store security) before I became a police officer. A private citizen CAN stop and DETAIN you and USE PHYSICAL FORCE to effect a CITIZENS ARREST if they have PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE that a crime occurred IN THEIR PRESENCE. The key here is "in their presence" and personal knowledge. (NYS CPL Section 140.30 and 140.35). The use of force to effect the arrest is covered in NYS Penal Law Article 35. Once the citizen's arrest has been made, a private citizen must turn that person over to the police. Even if criminally the citizen effecting the arrest is within the law, they are still subject to civil litigation. No one involved in this so far has the authority to impose a fine, only a judge after trial or plea.

It sounds to me that a citizens arrest was made on you. I think any attorney could easily argue that. You were stopped and detained. When security guards get in trouble is when they "think" someone committed a crime and act as police officers. Only police officers may can arrest someone based on probable cause. This is when the civil lawsuits come into play. Most companies don't want their personel making arrest (and getting into physical confrontations) so they can avoid any civil litigation if the security guards make a mistake or over step their bounds. According to what you said, it sounds like they did.

What the guard would have to prove is that you intentionally stole property. As previously posted, "intentionally depriving someone of property without paying for same." This can usually be proven with CONCEALMENT and NON-PAYMENT (going past the last point of payment with out paying). Kinda hard to conceal a keg. Not to say that some people haven't attempted to steal things underneath the cart, but it places the burden on the guard to prove that the person was actually stealing the item and not that a mistake was made. As a guard in this circumstance, as you described it, I wouldn't have detained you. (taken into a back room). I would have stopped you and mentioned the non-payment of the keg and then if you refused to pay, I could make a citizen's arrest. That would be the prudent move;
1) Avoid arresting someone and getting into a fight or in a situation to get sued.
2) If you were stealing and I wasn't definitely sure, I gave you an out, you could save face and pay for the product and the store gets their money, avoids civil litigation and everyone's happy.
As a police officer, if I was told of the situation as you explained it, I don't think I would have accepted the citizen's arrest.

Some guards get over zealous and in their desire to become police officers, think they will increase their chances by making numerous arrest. Word to those in Loss Prevention, numerous citizen's arrests will not increase your chances in becoming a police officer, it may actually decrease your chances depending on the circumstances around those arrest. I think that the courts have realized this and the case law has been written to curb the activities of security guards so they don't act like the police. In some circumstances security will attempt to get payment for the items in lieu off an arrest. Personally, I think $250.00 is a lot of money to pay for a keg of beer. $250.00 does sound like an amount that would be imposed by a judge as a fine, but only a judge can do that. This is what really bothers me. It doesn't sound right and unless I can get any other information, it sounds criminal.

According to what you posted, you made a mistake. They may or may not of made a mistake. I don't know what they observed or what the perception was. I know I wouldn't have acted in such a way, accorrding to what you said. As far as paying them $250.00, that's extremely questionable! If you want this to just go away, vent and then let sleeping dogs lie. If you feel you need to pursue this, contact a lawyer. Discuss the case and see where you can take it. Just remember, your pride may cost you dearly. As you have descibed this incident, it is extremely questionable and troubling. I find several things, as described, that trouble me. I know that some of my peers think nothing of arresting someone. Personally I think it is a very serious matter and take great care and pains to insure that if I arrest someone, they are deserving of an arrest and probable cause definitly exists. If you contact Wegman's, at the very least they could review their employee's activities and they may possibly be punished or fired, or not. As previously said, shop at Tops.

NoCtUrNaL
10-04-2002, 06:57 AM
Done and done...of course, I never shopped there before anyway, so it's not a toughy.

I go to this little bodega around the corner, there if they suspect you of shop lifting they shoot you and charge you for the bullet.

BTW...is there really a sales tax on bullets?

Ebenezer
10-04-2002, 07:12 AM
something smells fishy about this whole thing.

NoCtUrNaL
10-04-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
something smells fishy about this whole thing.

Tuna aisle 7.

Cntrygal
10-04-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by WCoastFin
What ever happened after all any updates?

maybe he's locked in another back room of wegman's. :banned:

Ebenezer
10-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL

Tuna aisle 7.

:rofl:

northernbillfan
02-19-2003, 03:30 AM
Without a doubt, this thread belongs here.

The_Philster
02-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Absolutely :lol: I remember this one very well :D
THURM was complaining about this whole episode at the game the following week even.

THATHURMANATOR
02-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Well thats cuz I was PISSED!!!!!!!

Michael82
02-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Thats cause it was all your fault! :rolleyes:

TUR wouldn't have made this mistake. :D