PDA

View Full Version : Please give your definiton of "fairweather fan"

Novacane
11-04-2003, 12:48 PM
There has been an awful lot of fairweather fan talk around her lately. It all started after that fire GW petition began:blamelog:

Please tell me what a fairweather fan is IYO.

To me it is someone who does not really follow the team in the offseason and starts "liking" the Bills after they blow out NE on opening day. After we blow out Jacksonville they start really getting excited and maybe even join a Bills message board. Then we start losing games and they critisize for a while and then just disappear, don't bother watching the games, and will start paying attention again when we start winning again.

Fairweather fans do not spend thier time here week after week calling for changes and improvements. *****ing does not make you a fairweather fan. Saying the hell with it and not caring makes you a fairweather fan.

WG
11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
To me, FWFs are those who do as you say, come when the "weather's nice", the team has a reasonable and expected chance to win generally speaking, and they don't buy tickets in blocks, groups, or seasons, but when the playoffs finally come around at home they all pester you to "get your 'extras' for them!"

They also show up just prior to games, don't tailgate, don't set the city on fire afte..., oh,...forget that one, but they only come to see the players that they like too and often the individual players mean more to them than the team does which manifests itself in a preference to see their player do well vice the team winning.

I'll use Jaded as an example in one sense. I don't think she'll mind b/c she'll openly admit this. But she would have preferred to see Flutie have a good game and the Bills lose to Flutie having a horrible game and the Bills winning.

Now, I don't hesitate to say this b/c she's a Cowboy fan first. So it's logical that that's the case in Buffalo. But that's the mentality that many FWF's are driven by.

justasportsfan
11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Definiton doesn't get any better than this :D

XNOUGHT
11-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I blame Weis er Wys :biggrin:

Valerie
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Wys GuyI'll use Jaded as an example in one sense. I don't think she'll mind b/c she'll openly admit this. But she would have preferred to see Flutie have a good game and the Bills lose to Flutie having a horrible game and the Bills winning.

Now, I don't hesitate to say this b/c she's a Cowboy fan first. So it's logical that that's the case in Buffalo. But that's the mentality that many FWF's are driven by.
Okay, first of all, I don't really consider myself a "fairweather fan" because I'm not a diehard fan of any team. I follow the Bills because I like them. And, I also sort of follow the Cowboys but I do like them. Sue me!

Secondly, I wouldn't want to see the Bills lose, regardless of who the quarterback is. What I didn't like was when Doug had a bad game but the Bills still won how people would rip him to shreds! Then, if he had a good game and they lost, he would still get ripped. He was in a no win situation week after week! Nothing he did was ever good or right and he never could please some people.

I root for the Bills, regardless of how they're playing. And on Sunday, it's going to be tough. I like both teams a lot. Yeah, I'll be rooting for the Cowboys because they were my first football love, but if the Bills win, that's good too! I won't be sad with whatever the outcome is. It's hard when you like two teams almost equally. Not that I expect any of you to understand this. For me to openly admit I like another team is banishment in most of your minds anyway. And that's fine too. It's all good! :)

stuckincincy
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Fairweather fans appreciate beer for it's taste. Hardcore fans appreciate beer for it's alcohol. :D

:beers:

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2003, 01:11 PM
I think the term is abused here.

I consider a fair weather fan to be someone who likes more than one team. Ownes jerseys of all the top teams from year to year.

I don't think any Bills fan on the Zone is fair weather. Just terribly pessimistic. Which is just as annoying as FWFs, IMO.

stuckincincy
11-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7

Okay, first of all, I don't really consider myself a "fairweather fan" because I'm not a diehard fan of any team. I follow the Bills because I like them. And, I also sort of follow the Cowboys but I do like them. Sue me!

Secondly, I wouldn't want to see the Bills lose, regardless of who the quarterback is. What I didn't like was when Doug had a bad game but the Bills still won how people would rip him to shreds! Then, if he had a good game and they lost, he would still get ripped. He was in a no win situation week after week! Nothing he did was ever good or right and he never could please some people.

I root for the Bills, regardless of how they're playing. And on Sunday, it's going to be tough. I like both teams a lot. Yeah, I'll be rooting for the Cowboys because they were my first football love, but if the Bills win, that's good too! I won't be sad with whatever the outcome is. It's hard when you like two teams almost equally. Not that I expect any of you to understand this. For me to openly admit I like another team is banishment in most of your minds anyway. And that's fine too. It's all good! :)

J7, I think you are an all-weather fan. And that's good! :up:

PS I got nothin' against the 'cows. Great franchise.

R. Rich
11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone

I consider a fair weather fan to be someone who likes more than one team. Ownes jerseys of all the top teams from year to year.

I don't think any Bills fan on the Zone is fair weather. Just terribly pessimistic. Which is just as annoying as FWFs, IMO.

Alright Fairway To Green, get started on your "Define Terribly Pessimistic" thread.

R. Rich
11-04-2003, 01:18 PM

Ahhh, shadddup! You're a fair weather fan, and you know it! So are you, Wys, and you, FTG, and you, Jan Reimers, and you...

Valerie
11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone I think the term is abused here.

I own a Danny White jersey (my first jersey ever), a Troy Aikman jersey, several Doug Flutie jerseys (a few from Buffalo and one from San Diego) and an Eric Moulds jersey. I don't think that's bad considering I grew up a Cowboys fan. And you all know my love for Doug! I had to have a Flutie Chargers jersey.

After that, I don't own any other football stuff. I don't think that makes me a fairweather fan. I think that makes me a person who likes two teams.

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Terribly Pessimistic is someone who doesn't realize that no team in the league has top 10 players at every single position.

They'll say, "we're going to get killed," "we have no chance," etc. Not realizing that few teams are dominant in today's game. Few teams are a lock. Nothing's certain.

And they accuse others of being gullible if they don't share in the unyeilding doom and gloom outlook.

zone
11-04-2003, 01:22 PM

Right on!

My "problem" is that when it comes time for sunday's game there is no doubt in my mind that we are going to win the game. Does this allways happen? Of course not. That does not mean that the following week I am going to stop believing in my team. That's what I can't understand, if you don't think that we have a chance to win the game, why waste your time? Call yourself a "realist" or whatever you want. I know we can do it!

WG
11-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Terribly Pessimistic is someone who doesn't realize that no team in the league has top 10 players at every single position.

You mean like last year when Blew got credit for just about everything and certainly everything that the O did he was pivotal for?

Like that you mean...?

:rolleyes:

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2003, 01:28 PM
I own a Danny White jersey (my first jersey ever), a Troy Aikman jersey, several Doug Flutie jerseys (a few from Buffalo and one from San Diego) and an Eric Moulds jersey. I don't think that's bad considering I grew up a Cowboys fan. And you all know my love for Doug! I had to have a Flutie Chargers jersey.

After that, I don't own any other football stuff. I don't think that makes me a fairweather fan. I think that makes me a person who likes two teams.

As long as you don't own a Tampa, New England, Ravens, Rams, Denver, Green Bay...

See what I'm getting at?

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
You mean like last year when Blew got credit for just about everything and certainly everything that the O did he was pivotal for?

Like that you mean...?

By who? I sure didn't... I don't think many did either. You seem to exaggerate everything.

I don't like the kind of fan you are. Not many do. In the NO-TOS there is a list of people and their count on the # of people who have them on ignore. Guess what? You are in the lead! Congrats!

WG
11-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by zone
Right on!

My "problem" is that when it comes time for sunday's game there is no doubt in my mind that we are going to win the game. Does this allways happen? Of course not. That does not mean that the following week I am going to stop believing in my team. That's what I can't understand, if you don't think that we have a chance to win the game, why waste your time? Call yourself a "realist" or whatever you want. I know we can do it!

OK then zone, since there is "no doubt" in your mind that we're gonna win every Sunday, I'll make a charity wager with you. We wager $20 bucks for charity each week on our games, and I'll tell you what, I'll even give you the line when the Bills are dogs and make it a pk. game if they are favored?

How can it possibly get more fair than that, eh.

Just b/c a fan doesn't think they're team is gonna win doesn't make them any less a fan. It only means they're being more realistic. In fact, if the team really did have a chance to win many games, then real fans wouldn't for some unbeknownst reason think that they didn't.

Obviously there are a whole slew of true fans here that don't think the Bills are gonna win more than another game or two let alone go even 4-4 over our last 8 or make the playoffs.

Anyway, if you truly believe what you just said, namely that "there is "no doubt" in your mind that we're gonna win every Sunday" then to not make such a wager can only prove that you really don't mean that and are only using such statements against fellow fans in arguing.

So shoot me a PM and we'll announce our charities and the parameters of the weekly standing wager.

WG
11-04-2003, 01:34 PM
By who? I sure didn't... I don't think many did either. You seem to exaggerate everything.

I don't like the kind of fan you are. Not many do. In the NO-TOS there is a list of people and their count on the # of people who have them on ignore. Guess what? You are in the lead! Congrats!

:wail:

WG
11-04-2003, 01:35 PM
BTW, I'm actually grateful for those posters putting me on ignore believe it or not. At least I usually get a decent football conversation out of those who don't.

Usually that is...

:)

Thank you all...

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2003, 01:36 PM
You're not well liked or respected. Not an attack, just the truth. It's pretty obvious.

WG
11-04-2003, 01:36 PM
zone...

...ohhhh zooone.....

...where did you go zone?

WG
11-04-2003, 01:37 PM
You're not well liked or respected. Not an attack, just the truth. It's pretty obvious.

:wail:

zone
11-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Just b/c a fan doesn't think they're team is gonna win doesn't make them any less a fan. It only means they're being more realistic.

I don't bet on my team, or any team for that matter.

I never said anyone was any less of a fan, I just stated my thinking on Sunday.

justasportsfan
11-04-2003, 01:46 PM

That's not true. I don't like wys but I respect him. Well his wing sauce, that is

The Natrix
11-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Someone who follows the team less closely when the team isn't doing very well. The degree of criticism the fan puts forth has nothing to do with being a fair weather fan or not.

WG
11-04-2003, 01:52 PM

I don't bet on my team, or any team for that matter.

I never said anyone was any less of a fan, I just stated my thinking on Sunday.

OH, of course not...

Wouldn't want to make some guaranteed money for your charity now would ya.

Seems a bit selfish to me, but hey, who am I!

I have one word:

HYPOCRITE!!!

Don't ever say anything to any other Bills fan again about criticizing the team please!

;)

WG
11-04-2003, 01:53 PM
Oh, a second word come to mind too, Liar!

RedEyE
11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Geez.........While some of you are thumbing through your intellectual dictionaries, stop by the "A" section and study the word Analysis.

zone
11-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Right on!

Does it say in there that "I think anyone who does not belive we are going to win every sunday is not a fan"? NO! So how did I lie?

Also I said constructive critism is good. Saying that players on the team blow, or suck, or are terrible, is just plain inacurate.

zone
11-04-2003, 01:58 PM
In most cases, and you know what players I am talking about.

BillsOverDolphins
11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Definiton doesn't get any better than this :D
that's textbook:snicker:

TedMock
11-04-2003, 02:15 PM
A person who won't commit to one team. They follow a few teams and pull harder for whoever's doing better. My neighbor has a Brett Favre and Donavan McNabb jersey. She claims that she's a fan of both teams....She's from Philly, which makes sense but GB too? That's a slap to all Philly fans. You can "like" other teams but you're only REALLY a fan of one. Otherwise you're fairweather because you've given yourself the opportunity to tell everybody that "your" team is doing great this year (just depends on which one that is). Or, it's a person who roots for one team but only really follows them when they're doing well. They go to several games in the good years and hardly at all during the bad years.

WG
11-04-2003, 02:23 PM

Does it say in there that "I think anyone who does not belive we are going to win every sunday is not a fan"? NO! So how did I lie?

Also I said constructive critism is good. Saying that players on the team blow, or suck, or are terrible, is just plain inacurate.

No. But it does say...

"My "problem" is that when it comes time for sunday's game there is no doubt in my mind that we are going to win the game."

...which if you really believed yourself then it would indicate that you truly believe that the Bills are capable of winning every game and that the odds are that they should easily win more games than they lose. What it says is that you believe that the odds of winning any particular game are better than 50/50 by a long shot.

Ergo, the odds, again, if you truly believe yourself, that the Bills will not win more games than they lose are very small.

Since your implications are that any fan not doing the same has issues or something similar, I am challenging you stating essentially that I don't truly believe that you actually believe what you're saying.

I.e., your words don't match the actual beliefs behind them.

Come to find out, it does not appear that I am amiss on that one. Seems to me anyone truly believing all that hogwash would champ at the bit saying not only yes, but 'Heck Yes, I'll take you up on that, and since it's all going to charity, let's triple the stakes!"

But alas, I see that you are unwilling to back your own words. That's a shame. :(

:shakeno:

WG
11-04-2003, 02:25 PM
At least, since you're not gonna back your very own words, you may wish to back off those who are a little more vocal about their disbeliefs that this team can not win many games yet to come, and cut them some slack simply b/c their not hiding behind their Blew Deadsoe masks and a "rah-rah" team shout on the surface only.

Don't you think that's fair?

I actually have more respect for people who back what they say, say what they mean, and stand behind statements made! Not those who say what's popular, hide behind mob rule, and then only say things to garner favor with others.

TedMock
11-04-2003, 02:28 PM

No. But it does say...

"My "problem" is that when it comes time for sunday's game there is no doubt in my mind that we are going to win the game."

...which if you really believed yourself then it would indicate that you truly believe that the Bills are capable of winning every game and that the odds are that they should easily win more games than they lose. What it says is that you believe that the odds of winning any particular game are better than 50/50 by a long shot.

:shakeno:

I'll tell ya, I think we're CAPABLE but I sure don't think the odds are there! This team has talent, quite a bit. But, due to coaching and "head-in-ass-ness" by most of the players at some point or another the odds are against us.

WG
11-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Right! And I think most people not totally charmed by TD and Blew probably agree with that making this "any given Sunday" notion nothing but a laughing dismissal.

TedMock
11-04-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed until this Sunday. I'm hoping TD actually went to KG and told him to change his ways or he's out. I doubt it, but I'm hoping. I'm definitely not optimistic at this point but hopeful. If, after a thrashing and a bye week, we don't change our gameplan I'll officially throw in the towel. I'll continue to watch every game and be as loud as ever but I'll have to bow down and "accept" the fact that KG is our OC.

BillsNick
11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
I personally think we're gonna play up to our potential in the second half. I think the team is hungry and pissed off at the crap they called the first half. Drew needs to be perfect and so does the line. We simply must get pressure on the opposing QB!! give it Henry!!!!!!!

stuckincincy
11-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure if this is a case of a team not living up to it's potential. I don't really see a lot of bench strength. If the bills got hit with injuries on the order of the Pats, where would they be?

The prep and the game-day coaching are beyond abysamal, true, but either the staff keeps the same crowd playing because they're stupid (more likely than not) or they know that the bench is problematical (which IMHO gives them credit that they do NOT deserve).

A mess. It's a rare jerk that would acquire the likes of Gash and let him fester on the bench...

mchurchfie
11-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
It's a rare jerk that would acquire the likes of Gash and let him fester on the bench...
Amen!!:up: Enter Gilbride into the picture.:shakeno:

IHateTheDullphins
11-04-2003, 03:06 PM
don't call your dad names! ha ha

BillsNick
11-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
I'm not sure if this is a case of a team not living up to it's potential. I don't really see a lot of bench strength. If the bills got hit with injuries on the order of the Pats, where would they be?

The prep and the game-day coaching are beyond abysamal, true, but either the staff keeps the same crowd playing because they're stupid (more likely than not) or they know that the bench is problematical (which IMHO gives them credit that they do NOT deserve).

A mess. It's a rare jerk that would acquire the likes of Gash and let him fester on the bench...

Oh I'm definitely with you SIC, Gash is not out there nearly enough! prep and gameplan are crap. NE has great coaching bottom line, maybe if we had those types of coaches, we would win all the time.

mchurchfie
11-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
don't call your dad names! ha ha
Does your Mommy or "Daddy for the Week" know that you have been on their computer??:scratch: If so, have them proofread this stuff for you before you hit the :Enter" key.:shakeno: Ha Ha Haz.

Have a truly tense and emotional day.
Kindest regards, :church:

BillsOverDolphins
11-04-2003, 03:22 PM
Can't we all just get along?
:snicker:

BAM
11-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Fairweather Fan n. An ardent devotee; an enthusiast who is present and dependable only in good times.

IHateTheDullphins
11-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

Does your Mommy or "Daddy for the Week" know that you have been on their computer??:scratch: If so, have them proofread this stuff for you before you hit the :Enter" key.:shakeno: Ha Ha Haz.

Have a truly tense and emotional day.
Kindest regards, :church:

:lol: ha ha that's good! really! haha

The_Philster
11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Fairweather fans only care when their team is doing well. When they are playing poorly, they stop caring and refuse to try to understand what is going wrong.

As I've been saying for weeks, fairweather fans aren't sticking around on the Zone. The real fans are continuing to post and try to understand the full extent of the team's problems.

Billsbabee
11-05-2003, 09:34 AM
I don't think I want to try to define this one, but I will define a non-fairweather fan....ME! :D (and many on this board)