PDA

View Full Version : TE Campbell Gets Contract Extension

RedEyE
11-04-2003, 04:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=billscampbell&prov=st&type=lgns

Bills sign TE Campbell to contract extension

November 4, 2003
ORCHARD PARK, New York (Ticker) - The Buffalo Bills on Tuesday signed tight end Mark Campbell to a contract extension.

Terms were not disclosed.

BillsFever
11-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Works for me.

BADTHINGSMAN
11-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Good move..

IHateTheDullphins
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
I like it....like a fat kid likes cake.....

DraftBoy
11-04-2003, 04:53 PM
How many years would be nice, and the amount of room we have left would be nice too. I like the idea but would have preferred a Winfield extension first. But begger cant be choosers, at least we did something good.

WG
11-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Great move IMO unless of course TD gave him $1.5M/yr. or something stupid like that.

Campbell's one of the few players who's surprised and is the kind of guy you want to sign; he's just entering his prime and is showing a lot, and doesn't have a name yet that you have to pay for.

Great move for a change!

justasportsfan
11-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Great move for a change!

For a change? I thought getting rid of Rob was a good move :idunno:

shelby
11-04-2003, 05:47 PM
:up:

Dozerdog
11-04-2003, 05:49 PM
He didn't like the 5 year, 5 million extention of AVP?
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Great move IMO unless of course TD gave him $1.5M/yr. or something stupid like that.
Great move for a change!

Tatonka
11-04-2003, 06:17 PM
campbell is a solid player.. and he has a knack for getting crushed..lol.. but he always hangs on to the ball.

The_Philster
11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
I like it. Cleveland fans at the scrimmage told me we'd like this guy. So far they've been right :up:

WG
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
For a change? I thought getting rid of Rob was a good move :idunno:

I meant additions, not subtractions. LOL

Originally posted by Dozerdog
He didn't like the 5 year, 5 million extention of AVP?

Indifferent. It wasn't a team-revolutionizing move or anything. It was paybacks for a backup job well done. I didn't agree with it at the time, but I didn't give it a care either b/c it's not a move that was gonna hurt or help us.

As well, he's only in the second year of that, and we'd need to count 300K per year left on that 5 years against the cap if we were ever to cut him.

Unfortunately I'd say cut him this year, but $900 K is a sizeable number of bucks to leave idle. So when you consider that the bonus was $1.5M and we could really stand to have two new QBs and we'll likely be penned in by that signing, do you still think it's good, assuming you did?

clumping platelets
11-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Solid move.

Winfield was always gonna hit the market :(

Cntrygal
11-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
campbell is a solid player.. and he has a knack for getting crushed..lol.. but he always hangs on to the ball.

No kidding! There's been a couple hits where I was surprised that he got up as fast as he did... much less hang onto the ball!

Pride
11-05-2003, 07:21 AM
We won't re-sign Winfield... mark my words.

IHateTheDullphins
11-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Winfield is as good as gone. :cry:

Champ Baily will sign with us. :D

askabry
11-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Just my opinion, but a contract extension to Mark Campbell strikes me as an effort to effect team chemistry ... and I'm not 100% on board.

first of all, Mark Campbell is an average TE. Argue statistics all you want but given the dearth of talent at receiver and amount of times we put the ball in the air in short yardage situations I would have hoped for more first downs from him.

He reminds me of Jonathan Linton and Shawn Bryson as sort of player just good enough to not win any games for you. Within our division, I would take Becht, McMichael and either of the NE TEs over Campbell.

So why, at this juncture offer a contract extension to Campbell? Is TD sending a message to the lockerroom? I think so, and while that has some merit I hope he considered the same with players of above average talent that have been performing first ... like Jonas Jennings, Pat Williams and perhaps Antoine Winfield.

Jeff1220
11-05-2003, 09:28 AM
So far this year, Winfield has shown me no reason why he should be extended. The guy is a good tackler, but is outclassed by most of the receivers he faces.

BAM
11-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Great move resigning Mark CamBULL. I like this guy so far. I think Bled should hit him up more!

askabry
11-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Hence the word perhaps and I can agree with you on it ... I don't see him as Madison/Surtain/Law/Abraham.

Jonas Jennings has been stellar, and retaining him now is the lynchpin of the offensive line. Ditto Pat Williams. How does Mark Campbell compare to those two? Either of the above players are, IMO, the best at their position in the AFCE (unless Ogunleye continues to play at his level).

Why give it up to Campbell? I don't like political moves in general when it comes to assessing athletic contributions and I like this one just a little less given the circumstances.

HotRod
11-09-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Pride
We won't re-sign Winfield... mark my words.

I will be surprised if you're wrong.