PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs or new coach poll question!

Patrick76777
11-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Playoffs or new coach poll question!

Serious poll question!

Would you rather

A. Make the playoffs as the last Wild Card, beat the Patriots in the first round and lose to the Chiefs in the second round! Which would ensure that GW would be back for another year.
-Assuming that finishing strong and getting a taste of the playoffs will bode well for next season.

B. Miss the playoffs at 8-8 and kick GW out the door.
-Assuming that a new coach and some reinforcements will bode will for next season!

I don’t care if you think it won’t or can’t happen! Just want to know which you would choose if these were the only two options for this season.

lordofgun
11-05-2003, 11:39 AM
If I knew we were going to lose in the playoffs, I'd choose option B.

It's all about winning the big one for me.

Patrick76777
11-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Serious question here!

You don't think it's valuable to "take the next step" and win a playoff game?

That means we would have gone from 3-13 to 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6 with one playoff win! It's a nice progression.

Teams like the Titans were 8-8 for 3 years in a row before they made their big runs

BillsNick
11-05-2003, 11:56 AM
catch 22

caveboy
11-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Take the playoffs.

don137
11-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Our goal is to get better and go deep into the playoffs with the ultimate goal of a superbowl. Going to the playoffs and winning is a step in the right direction...

lordofgun
11-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by don137
Our goal is to get better and go deep into the playoffs with the ultimate goal of a superbowl. Going to the playoffs and winning is a step in the right direction...

But not good enough, and GW certainly isn't going to take us all the way next year.

Halbert
11-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Easiest question ever.

If the Bills can make the playoffs, let alone win a game there, then GW more than deserves an extension. That would mean that he led the team to a 6-2 or 7-1 second half record to make the post season from an unusually disadvantageous 4-4 record (The Bills currently lose all tie-breakers). Just making the playoffs with this team at this point would be a major accomplishment, one that should guarantee GW a chance to keep it going. Look at it this way, if you were only grading the second half of the season and the Bills win 6+ games then GW would be a coach of the year candidate.

Quite frankly, that ain't gonna happen so the point is moot. I don't ever remember a team getting blown out the way the Bills did in NY and KC and then making the playoffs. Playoff teams simply don't lose like that. The Bills obviously are missing some key ingredient that would allow them to unravel like that. Unfortunately, I do see that as a coaching failure, so it is extremely unlikely that whatever is broke to that degree is not going to get fixed overnight. I see 9-7 or worse and a new HC next season.

I sure hope I’m dead wrong.

WG
11-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Given what you just said Hal, I see no way that we're gonna even make .500 this year.

Agreeing w/ you, how on earth do we even have a chance against Indy? Tennessee on the road, Miami, NE in foxboro, and even the Jets who are playing much, much better than when they dusted us 30-3? Throw in teams such as the Giants and Boys who are fully capable of beating us easily, with even Houston potentially giving us a run, I just don't see us winning anymore than one or two more games.

No, we needed to emerge from the first halt at absolute minimum of 5-3 for us to do much. The Cincy's, Skins', Jags, weakened Jets teams minus Pennington, Philly all banged up and weakened are not on our schedule any longer. Even the Giants are better than most of those teams. We had to do something up front and since we didn't, it doesn't make sense that we're gonna do more than we did v. them yet against much, much better teams in the second half.

Throw in the fact that Drew struggles in the second half, that most of our key games that we need to win, such as this one, are on the road. We're 1-2 in the division and there's no way on earth we're gonna beat NE again and it's unlikely that we'll win either game v. Miami or the Jets let alone both of them. All three of them are bonafide playoff teams, and we simply don't beat teams like that since the Dredsoe era started. That's a fact.

Of course, if half the team crashes in a plane accident, then perhaps that would be what we need to win, but, and call me silly.... :D

At this point I'll give it the Dallas game. But if we barely squeak it out on few points b/c our O can't score or lose altogether, I'm gonna start focusing on the draft. IMO if we are anything other than a poor team, we need to come out strongly and show it against a very overrated Dallas team yet one with a great coach.

I'm thinkin' what will get me reinvigorated that we're anything will be a 38-13 thrashing where all facets of the team show up after a bye week and then w/o lapsing v. the Texans the following week. If that happens and we're then 6-4, I'll be re-excited for our post season chances.

Actually, when you look at the two teams on paper, this should be a blowout in our favor. :idunno:

WG
11-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
But not good enough, and GW certainly isn't going to take us all the way next year.

Yeah, that's right. There's no way on earth that w/ Gilbride at OC we're ever gonna win anything let alone a SB. This team would have to have the kind of talent to make a SB win an absolute certainty with any good coaches for it to even have a remote shot at it w/ Gilbride, Williams, and LeBeau in charge.