PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams, All AFC team!

Patrick76777
11-05-2003, 11:39 AM
John Clayton picked him!

That's how O-linemen get a name! If it keeps up, he'll be voted into the pro-bowl.

R. Rich
11-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Great. Another undeserved Pro Bowl bid; just what I want to see given to this team.

I do like Mike Williams, but there's NO way his play this year merits a Pro Bowl bid. Then again, neither did Ruben Brown's in his 2nd year, and that didn't stop them from voting him in either.

HAMMER
11-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Clayton is a pencil neck geek, I love it when he and Salsibury Steak go at it. Mike Williams deserves nothing, just as Ruben Brown deserves nothing. Pro bowl picks tend to be popularity contests, especially at the O-Line positions where average fans don't know much about other teams lines.

ryven
11-05-2003, 02:24 PM
my pick for afc pro bowl O-line the KC line

there doing a good job this year.

Patrick76777
11-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Why all the hate for Big Mike?

Novacane
11-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Clayton must not be watching Big Mike pass block.

Novacane
11-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Why all the hate for Big Mike?

Here we go again? Those posts were not hateful! They observed that Mike was not deserving and I agree. Does not mean we hate him. His blocking against the speed rush has been awful. He needs to be a complete OL before he is Pro-Bowl material. Not saying he won't get there..............he's only played 20 +/- games.

IHateTheDullphins
11-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Was clayton talking about the "All you can eat AFC team"??!?

Ð
11-05-2003, 03:07 PM
LOL, Williams, Nails, Pat Williams, Ted Washington

ryven
11-05-2003, 03:12 PM
and dont forget adams

XNOUGHT
11-05-2003, 03:13 PM
I was amazed big Mike got in too!!!!

However, he is a RT and the pickings are slim for those guys.

venis2k1
11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Pro bowl picks tend to be popularity contests, especially at the O-Line positions where average fans don't know much about other teams lines.

Unless im mistaken, fans votes only count for 25%.

Patrick76777
11-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Calm down fairway!

I don't think Mike has played great either. But I give him props on making the team.

I also pointed out that this is the way O-linemen make it big time.
I love when idiot fans try to grade out O-linemen like they have a clue! Clayton picking him will raise many eyebrows and fans in other cities are going to think this guy is playing well. It just takes one analyst from a Sunday morning pregame show to see this and mention it and it'll take off. This guy will be the best thing since sliced bread.

It's just the way things work.

Ingtar33
11-06-2003, 10:45 AM
the problem with sports fans is all they see is one team, and all the faults of the players on that team... the outsider's perception is often higher than the insiders...

Case in point:
Mike Williams as an all pro OT.

The outsider sees a handful of plays a weeks, all of which usually involve mike Williams laying out 2 or 3 D-lineman,
The fan sees the one sack he let in the 3rd quarter

Is Mike the best OT in the AFC? No not at all. Is he in the top 5? Damn straight he is. Compared to the vast majority of RTs in the AFC Mike Williams is a god. You guys have to get used to the fact, that no-one, no O-lineman is perfect. If a guy lets one speed rush through that’s life, sometimes for one play the other guy is better than you.

Will Wolford and Howard Ballard gave up sacks, to both bull rushers and speed rushers. But they both were top 5 tackles, and i think properly respected by bills fans. A lot of this dislike for players is formed from too much beer, and frustration at a team loosing.

When the team looses all the faults of the players usually come blazing to the forefront. As an OT, Mike is a VERY good player. When we drafted him the one thing scouts would point out is Mike was very raw, a physical beast yes, but a fellow who would have to work hard to get better. I've seen vast improvements in Mikes game since he got to the NFL. I've not seen him peek yet either. He’s already doing things that 90% of OTs simply cannot physically do.

Relax, stop calling the guy a bust. Sit back and enjoy it... some fellows take a bit more time than others. And Mike is in no way a slow learner. My only complaint is he is not playing left tackle.

Patrick76777
11-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Great post Ingtar. You hit the nail on the head and I couldn't agree more.