• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Slap!Poke!Ow!Ow!Slap!

Geeze.

The cows sign C Bill Conaty...reminds me of an old comedy troupe, Firesign Theater (I think they were connected with the Canadian SCTV crowd) who pressed a LP years ago, titled "We're All Bozos on This Bus".
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Yeah, and we have the great Trey Teague. If we wanted a mediocre center, we should have saved a ton of money and just kept Billy C.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      Yeah, and we have the great Trey Teague. If we wanted a mediocre center, we should have saved a ton of money and just kept Billy C.
      I think Billy did a much better job than Teague's done.
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

When Conaty started for Buffalo he was dealing with a bum shoulder that literally got dislocated every game. He'd have to go out and have the trainer pop it back in. Yeah, he's a journeyman who will never be a star in this league, but he's also a warrior who will give you an honest days work, do what needs to be done, and won't complain. The Cowboys could do worse to shore up their depth on the interior of the line.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

If Conaty is so wonderful, why has he been bounced aroud to a couple of teams since he left?

Trey wasn't overpaid just to be Center. He was paid to play Tackle, in case the Bills diid not get an opportunity to draft Williams or McKinney/ (If Harrington fell to the Bills and Bledsoe wasn't traded)

It gave Buffalo flexibility on draft day. He's not the greatest center- but had the Bills been hit with 2 or 3 major injuries to the line, he'd be the most valuable lineman, able to play almost any position in the line. With Teague you get a mediocre center, and an average backup Tackle/Guard all tied up in one roster spot

Comment

• R. Rich
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
            If Conaty is so wonderful, why has he been bounced aroud to a couple of teams since he left?

Trey wasn't overpaid just to be Center. He was paid to play Tackle, in case the Bills diid not get an opportunity to draft Williams or McKinney/ (If Harrington fell to the Bills and Bledsoe wasn't traded)

It gave Buffalo flexibility on draft day. He's not the greatest center- but had the Bills been hit with 2 or 3 major injuries to the line, he'd be the most valuable lineman, able to play almost any position in the line. With Teague you get a mediocre center, and an average tackle/Guard all tied up in one roster spot
            Just what every team wants: an average tackle/guard and a mediocre center. We're so lucky.

I just hope we go after a center in free agency. Keep Teague around as an Ostroski-like backup, but he shouldn't be the starter at center, guard, or tackle.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

He did just fine in Denver @ Tackle, helping Davis, Gary, & Anderson to career rushing seasons of 1,000 yards plus

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I'm not saying he's the best at the position, but he's servicable in a lot of spots. The Bills bought him as OL insurance, and lucky for the Bills no one has been seriously hurt

Comment

• R. Rich
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                  I'm not saying he's the best at the position, but he's servicable in a lot of spots. The Bills bought him as OL insurance, and lucky for the Bills no one has been seriously hurt
                  Maybe we should call him Progressive then, because we sure overpaid for some decent 'insurance' player. I do understand your point, but we spent far less on a much better 'insurance' player (Marcus Price) with better results.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I didn't say Conaty was great. I said Dallas could do worse than Conaty to shore up the depth on the interior of their line. I really would not want him as starter, but I think he can be a reliable backup. Buffalo dumped him after he had offseason shoulder surgery. Maybe they felt that his recovery from surgery might not be satisfactory. Maybe they were right.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• G. Host
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2002

This is a difference is resigning a player often injured and signing a player after start of season as a backup. In the latter case you pay only for those games the player is on roster and can be cut any week assuming not injured.

Comment

Working...
                      X