PDA

View Full Version : Is Spikes a bust?

XNOUGHT
11-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Your giving up yards after yards in the running game? The same thing was happening last year and Spikes was brought in to stop it.

What is going on?

Brian Griese Rulz
11-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Crappy D-Ends.

Thailog80
11-06-2003, 07:48 PM
TKO is no bust man.

socalfan
11-06-2003, 07:54 PM
The Bills have cut the number of rushing yards per game. I believe the Bills have had only two games in which the opponent ran for more than 100 yds.

The_Philster
11-06-2003, 07:58 PM
He can't do it all alone. Sam Adams hasn't been as strong as promised and our DE's are rather light and easily pushed around.

loyal2dagame
11-06-2003, 07:58 PM
i'd like to think sam adams is our big "bust" move of the off season. the guy is outta shape, runs his mouth too much, and thinks he still has game.

adams was a bad pickup in my opinion.

as for spikes, i wouldnt call him a bust. maybe if our d line got a hand on a back once and a while, he wouldnt be so wore down from running all the time(same goes for fletcher and posey).

spikes isnt the bust- the entire d-line is.

no pass rush + no run stop= tired linebackers and secondary.

i've yet to see spikes lay off a p;ay this year, but have seen the d-line give no effort at times.

put the blame where it lays.

WG
11-06-2003, 08:09 PM
This is common sense and TD should have figured this out last year.

All I remember is getting lambasted for even remotely suggesting that OLBs weren't going to make up for the lack of a true pass rush and more particularly for a crap DL.

It's so obvious yet TD can't seem to put it together, which again, tells me that perhaps it's time for a new GM.

Nothing's wrong w/ TKO and even if there is we'll never know until we get a line in front of him.

G. Host
11-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT
Your giving up yards after yards in the running game? The same thing was happening last year and Spikes was brought in to stop it.

What is going on?

Are you saying it wasn't Eddie Robinson's fault! Take it back. ;)

P.S. Seemed to make a difference in Patriots game, don't you agree?

User Manuel
11-06-2003, 08:33 PM
The guy that concerns me is Fletcher. He isn't having a bad year, I guess I just expected more.

IHateTheDullphins
11-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Yes, I too expected him to fly around the stadium in his cape, savin damsels in distress.:cynic: too bad all he can do is tackle like a machine and make plays. what a loser he is. kill him!!!

IHateTheDullphins
11-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Oh, and if you think spikes is a bust, you were most likely a Rob Johnson supporter....Oh! sorry Wys, nothing personal. ha ha DBs

Dozerdog
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
The problem is the offense goes 3 and out.

In games where the time of posession and the amount of plays between the Bills and their opponents are even, then the Bills defense does mor ethan hold it's own.

But there have been some games out there where the opposition has had a 2-1 edge in time of possession, and has just been able to run more plays. look at Miami- Miami didn't do much offensively- they racked up all those yards because they were given twice the opportunities to run plays- why was that? Because the offense was 3 and out every damn play. Same with the Philly and Jet games.

Turf
11-06-2003, 10:03 PM
The coaching staff is a bust. TKO is one hell of a LB.

fushetti
11-07-2003, 07:18 AM
No

R. Rich
11-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
He can't do it all alone. Sam Adams hasn't been as strong as promised and our DE's are rather light and easily pushed around.

Short and to the point. I said that our DEs were the problem way back in preseaon after seeing it firsthand in the game against the Ravens.

Originally posted by loyal2dagame
i'd like to think sam adams is our big "bust" move of the off season. the guy is outta shape, runs his mouth too much, and thinks he still has game.

as for spikes, i wouldnt call him a bust. maybe if our d line got a hand on a back once and a while, he wouldnt be so wore down from running all the time(same goes for fletcher and posey).

i've yet to see spikes lay off a p;ay this year, but have seen the d-line give no effort at times.

It's the DL more than the LBs! Once we get more stability at the DE position, we'll see better production out of our LBs. I still believe that this is a very good group of LBs.

TigerJ
11-07-2003, 08:06 AM
From NFL.com, Buffalo's defensive stats:

Total defence: Yards per game-279 - NFL rank -#3

Rushing defence: Yards per game-11 - NFL rank -#15
Yards per carry-3.9 - NFL Rank -tied at #9
with 4 other teams

Passing defence: Yards per game-168 -NFL rank -#1
Percentage - 55.8% - NFL rank -#6

There is obviously room for improvement in Buffalo's rushing defence, but it's improved from where it was. If Milloy, Posey, Spikes, and Adams are all busts as various people allege, our defence would not be #3 overall. One can argue about each one of these acquisitions that they should be doing more. We can debate whether it's the player or the coaching, or whether they just need more time to gel, but it looks to me like they're at least moving in the right direction.

BTW, Xnought, congratulations on your Dolphins having the second ranked rushing defence (first in YPC). I can't knock that.

Buckets
11-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ

with 4 other teams

There is obviously room for improvement in Buffalo's rushing defence, but it's improved from where it was. If Milloy, Posey, Spikes, and Adams are all busts as various people allege, our defence would not be #3 overall. One can argue about each one of these acquisitions that they should be doing more. We can debate whether it's the player or the coaching, or whether they just need more time to gel, but it looks to me like they're at least moving in the right direction.

BTW, Xnought, congratulations on your Dolphins having the second ranked rushing defence (first in YPC). I can't knock that.

If the "O" could stay on the field a little more these numbers would even be better.

Buckets
11-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by loyal2dagame

I totally agree.

(Where were you last summer when a bunch of us were getting chastised for saying these same things? Defender of the Defense)

Pride
11-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
The problem is the offense goes 3 and out.

I agree... everything keeps revolving around to Gilbride

Dozerdog
11-07-2003, 09:30 AM

with 4 other teams

Great post!

Add in Dick LeBeau, and this defense is Miles ahead of where it was last season. people poo-poo Adams- but in the game he missed due to injury, Curtis Martin ran right through huis replacements- Edwards and Sape. It's not Adam's fault the Bills can only use up less than 2 minutes per possession before punting.

Toss in Adams and LeBeau to your ridiculous "Bust" pile.

WG
11-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Pride
I agree... everything keeps revolving around to Gilbride

Indeed!

Do you, or anyone else however, have this sinking feeling that TD doesn't agree?

I'm thinking that b/c KG was his hire and not GW's, he may try to pin the entire thing on GW and get rid of him only when really it's the entire O staff IMO.

Thoughts?

It would be a shame to see KG be the HC. OUCH!!!

Part of me says I'm nuts for even thinking this and the other part, a much smaller part says don't be so quick to think that TD's gonna agree w/ the fans. If there's one thing that TD is, it's a master of spin. I can see him trying his "magic" again by promoting KG to HC and trying to spin it all off as GW's fault.

Somebody tell me I'm nuts...

:D

Here's everyone's chance to say "I'm nuts" w/o violating the ToS!

justasportsfan
11-07-2003, 10:52 AM
We are no. 1 in pass offense despite the lack of pass rush from our D ends. This D could easily be no.1 if we had better DE's.

R. Rich
11-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Great post!

Add in Dick LeBeau, and this defense is Miles ahead of where it was last season. people poo-poo Adams- but in the game he missed due to injury, Curtis Martin ran right through huis replacements- Edwards and Sape. It's not Adam's fault the Bills can only use up less than 2 minutes per possession before punting.

Toss in Adams and LeBeau to your ridiculous "Bust" pile.

I don't know if I'd label either Adams or LeBeau as a bust, but they certainly haven't been what we thought they would be. Adams is being single blocked by just about anyone most of the time (he is NOT commanding double teams frequently; just go back and watch the past 8 games) and LeBeau hasn't generated much pressure with his knowledge of blitzes. Does LeBeau get all the credit for the defense having a #1 ranking against the pass?

Hey, there's still 8 more games to play, and we may yet see the blitzing we thought we would. We may also see the type of run stuffing we wanted to see also (keeping teams to 111 yards per game is hardly run stuffing). Things haven't been perfect, but they haven't been all terrible either.

BAM
11-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Takeo and Bust do not even look right in the same sentence. See? doesn't that look wierd?

Gunzlingr
11-07-2003, 11:57 AM

I think X is a Pats fan :D

I don't consider our D a bust as much as I do our O. What happened in the last year that we went from a scoring machine to not being to score at all??

R. Rich
11-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by gunzlingr

I think X is a Pats fan :D

I don't consider our D a bust as much as I do our O. What happened in the last year that we went from a scoring machine to not being to score at all??

Aw, come on Gunz, you know why we can't score. It's because of the loss of Peerless Price! Haven't you read any of the evaluations of the Bills this season?

When Price was here, our offensive line was so happy to see his bright, shining, selfless face that they worked out extra hard and were super strong, thus throwing those monster blocks that sprung Henry for over 1,400 yards. Moulds was also able to feed off the Peerless energy and have a monster season too (see, he WAS good for the team!). Not to mention the success Josh Reed had last year. Was it due to great hands? Great concentration? Solid work ethic? Nope, it was good ol' Peerless! Reed saw how great Peerless was, and worked hard to match his abilities. See, with Peerless gone, they're just not the same.

I've heard that Peerless was also helpful in going over strategies on defense (giving away tendencies of other WRs, etc), so they sorely miss that this year and it shows in run defense and pass rush.

[This was an R. Rich message, in conjunction with Triple P, which you all know stands for Peerless Price Productions]

zone
11-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by gunzlingr
What happened in the last year that we went from a scoring machine to not being to score at all??

Well they broke up our o-line
Josh was not a threat the first couple of games, then once he started to become on eric got hurt.
56 passes on 56 attemts on 3 and short.

Last year teams had to worry about 3 huge threats
EM
PP
TH
and we were blocking a little better

now we don't block, eric has a groin injury witch is terrible when you need to make hard cuts, and josh was droping balls, we don't run the ball. A HS defense could figure out how to cover us
send the pressure hard, and dt moulds, and pray josh is having a bad day... don't worry about over persuing cause they are not going to run it.

zone
11-07-2003, 01:07 PM
but that is all going to change this week.

Jeff1220
11-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich

Aw, come on Gunz, you know why we can't score. It's because of the loss of Peerless Price! Haven't you read any of the evaluations of the Bills this season?

When Price was here, our offensive line was so happy to see his bright, shining, selfless face that they worked out extra hard and were super strong, thus throwing those monster blocks that sprung Henry for over 1,400 yards. Moulds was also able to feed off the Peerless energy and have a monster season too (see, he WAS good for the team!). Not to mention the success Josh Reed had last year. Was it due to great hands? Great concentration? Solid work ethic? Nope, it was good ol' Peerless! Reed saw how great Peerless was, and worked hard to match his abilities. See, with Peerless gone, they're just not the same.

I've heard that Peerless was also helpful in going over strategies on defense (giving away tendencies of other WRs, etc), so they sorely miss that this year and it shows in run defense and pass rush.

[This was an R. Rich message, in conjunction with Triple P, which you all know stands for Peerless Price Productions]

Do I sense a little sarcasm? :scratch:

Peerless was a nice 2nd receiver to have, but, as usual, the media overhypes his loss (along w/ LC and JR). The problem with this offense is so appearant that you'd think that even GW would be able to see it. There is no balance, and, the thing is, it's not because the team can't run. It's because KG won't run. Grrrrrr.

Gilbride:badboy: Jeff

BTW, Peerless seems to worse worse off w/o the Bills than the Bills are without him!

R. Rich
11-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Do I sense a little sarcasm? :scratch:

Well, maybe just a little.

I just get so tired of people using that as the sole reason that we're struggling on offense. It goes way beyond one player or one position, but to actually detail all that would take too much work for these 'experts'. It's much easier to just say "they miss Peerless" and be done with it.

XNOUGHT
11-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Why the F does everyone think I am a Bills or Dolphins fan :biggrin:

Isn't my avatar clue enough?

Here are some things I have noticed from reading your posts.

You guys HATE I mean :madfire: :machgun: :madcurse: :cry: :tongue: :madshake: your offense.

As a Pats fan, I can say it is a combination of Gregg, Gilbride, and Bledsoe. Bledsoe is one of the worst playoff QB's because he knows how to make boneheaded descisions. When Drew was with the Pats, I started to slit my wrists every time he got sacked :awm:

Gregg and Gilbride have already been lightly discussed in other threads :biggrin:

BAM
11-07-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm wearing my Peerless Price jersey today. Oh how I miss him :(

Typ0
11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Spikes isn't a bust right now...but he will be some day.

justasportsfan
11-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BradAlanMiller

They are on sale at marshalls for $10

Gunzlingr
11-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by BradAlanMiller

I seriously doubt that the loss of Peerless is our Offence's problem.

TigerJ
11-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Sorry I got your team loyalties wrong, Xnought. I haven't been playing close enough attention. As far as your avatar is concerned, I'm not really an NBA fan at all and the picture's a little small for me to see team insignias.

Billsouth
11-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by XNOUGHT

What is going on?

u should have ur membership revoked for even asking such a ridiculous question.

:badboy: :badboy: :machgun: :machgun: :party: :lolcry: :$: :goodbad: :bug: :sweat: :drool: :redhead: :pow: :apu: :angel: :mex: :banme:

XNOUGHT
11-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Billsouth

u should have ur membership revoked for even asking such a ridiculous question.

:badboy: :badboy: :machgun: :machgun: :party: :lolcry: :$: :goodbad: :bug: :sweat: :drool: :redhead: :pow: :apu: :angel: :mex: :banme:

spooky signature :scared: :scared: :psyche: