X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baalworship
    • May 2003

Larry Felser's Coaching Shortlist...

For those who don't get the Buffalo News or haven't read today's article yet Larry Felser has a list of coaching candidates.

Here are the ones I like:

Tom Coughlin- Discipline, discipline, discipline.

Kirk Ferentz- My favorite at this point. Head coaching experience, NFL experience. Young and energetic. Will emphasize offensive line.

Al Saunders- Didn't you watch the Chiefs game and wish we could have real coaching?!

Charlie Weiss- How do the Patriots win with that sub-par line and no running game? Weiss smoke and mirrors.

George O'Leary- Notre Dame's top choice until his resume issues. Doing a great job in Minnesota right now with a team that couldn't stop anyone last year.
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

I didn't see it on the front page. If it's there, I apologize. If not, here's the link:

The complete list: Dennis Green, Tom Coughlin, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz, Pete Carroll, Walt Harris, Al Saunders, Charlie Weiss, Ted Cottrell, Mike McCarthy, and George O'Leary

I think Tom Coughlin might be more willing to work with a strong GM than Dennis Green, based on comments Coughlin has made since his dismissal from Jacksonville. I don't mind a disciplinarian as coach, but if Coughlin learned to be a bit more moderate and were willing to work with a strong GM, he might be more successful for a longer period than at Jacksonville. Saban sounds like he may want to stay at the college level. Otherwise he would be my choice. Carroll would probably stay at USC too. I think he's probably better off there in any case. I think Harris, Saunders, and Weiss could all do well as an NFL coach. Weiss in particular has shown he has the ability to adapt his offence to the strengths and weaknesses of his players. I can't see Cottrell ever coming back to Buffalo. I could be wrong but I thing he was thoroughly POed that he wasn't considered more seriously the last time Buffalo was picking a head coach. I think McCarthy and O'Leary could be good choices.

One name that was absent from Felser's list was Gary Kubiak, OC for Mike Shanahan in Denver. That may be because he's worked so long with Shanahan, who is primarily a west coast offence guy, and Bledsoe probably is not the QB you want in a WCO
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

It's there
      Bills' coach of future? Here's a little list of likely candidates
      Right below the Star Telegram links
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Eb

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla *****
          • Jul 2002

Busted!

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

It's not Eb

Comment

• shelby
              The Vanilla *****
              • Jul 2002

Sorry, my bad.

Of those candidates....i would prefer Cottrell, Denny Green, or Coughlin.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                • Jul 2002

Other than Coughlin or Green that list sucks

Pete Carroll? Please......................Felser is nuts to suggest him. I'd just as soon keep greg

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

If I remember, Pete Carroll teams were always dangerous. His downfall was he lacked some organizational skills. He was a little scatter brained and that translated to team inconsistency. That was my thought at the time at least. A successful stint in the college ranks could have rectified that shortcoming though. He wouldn't be my choice on that list, but if it happened, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, just like I did to Gregg Williams.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• lordofgun
                    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

I really like Ferentz.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

I'm open to a college guy- I'm not going to limit myself to a former head coach

No Carroll- He had 2 bites of the apple already with talented teams and went nowhere

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                        • Jul 2002

I agree with DD. Carrolls had 2 shots and blew them. I would be seriously depressed if they brought Carroll in here!

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by lordofgun
                          I really like Ferentz.
                          I'm with you this guy seems like he knows a lot of phases of the game not just O or D!

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Kirk Ferentz

Sounds well qualified to me! :)

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                              • Jul 2002

Head Coach - Tom Coughlin - this team needs a coach with passion and discipline.
                              OC- Norm Chow from USC

Draft- Philip Rivers QB NC State

Chow and Rivers worked wonders together and Rivers is a quick thinker that gets the job done.

Comment

Working...
                              X