PDA

View Full Version : Larry Felser's Coaching Shortlist...

baalworship
11-09-2003, 08:46 AM
For those who don't get the Buffalo News or haven't read today's article yet Larry Felser has a list of coaching candidates.

Here are the ones I like:

Tom Coughlin- Discipline, discipline, discipline.

Kirk Ferentz- My favorite at this point. Head coaching experience, NFL experience. Young and energetic. Will emphasize offensive line.

Al Saunders- Didn't you watch the Chiefs game and wish we could have real coaching?!

Charlie Weiss- How do the Patriots win with that sub-par line and no running game? Weiss smoke and mirrors.

George O'Leary- Notre Dame's top choice until his resume issues. Doing a great job in Minnesota right now with a team that couldn't stop anyone last year.

TigerJ
11-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I didn't see it on the front page. If it's there, I apologize. If not, here's the link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031109/1041757.asp

The complete list: Dennis Green, Tom Coughlin, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz, Pete Carroll, Walt Harris, Al Saunders, Charlie Weiss, Ted Cottrell, Mike McCarthy, and George O'Leary

I think Tom Coughlin might be more willing to work with a strong GM than Dennis Green, based on comments Coughlin has made since his dismissal from Jacksonville. I don't mind a disciplinarian as coach, but if Coughlin learned to be a bit more moderate and were willing to work with a strong GM, he might be more successful for a longer period than at Jacksonville. Saban sounds like he may want to stay at the college level. Otherwise he would be my choice. Carroll would probably stay at USC too. I think he's probably better off there in any case. I think Harris, Saunders, and Weiss could all do well as an NFL coach. Weiss in particular has shown he has the ability to adapt his offence to the strengths and weaknesses of his players. I can't see Cottrell ever coming back to Buffalo. I could be wrong but I thing he was thoroughly POed that he wasn't considered more seriously the last time Buffalo was picking a head coach. I think McCarthy and O'Leary could be good choices.

One name that was absent from Felser's list was Gary Kubiak, OC for Mike Shanahan in Denver. That may be because he's worked so long with Shanahan, who is primarily a west coast offence guy, and Bledsoe probably is not the QB you want in a WCO

The_Philster
11-09-2003, 01:27 PM
It's there
Bills' coach of future? Here's a little list of likely candidates Right below the Star Telegram links

ArcticWildMan
11-09-2003, 01:34 PM
:wave: Eb

shelby
11-09-2003, 01:36 PM
:lolpoint: Busted!

Dozerdog
11-09-2003, 01:38 PM
It's not Eb

shelby
11-09-2003, 01:47 PM
:sadwalk:
Sorry, my bad.

Of those candidates....i would prefer Cottrell, Denny Green, or Coughlin.

Novacane
11-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Other than Coughlin or Green that list sucks

Pete Carroll? Please......................Felser is nuts to suggest him. I'd just as soon keep greg

TigerJ
11-09-2003, 08:23 PM
If I remember, Pete Carroll teams were always dangerous. His downfall was he lacked some organizational skills. He was a little scatter brained and that translated to team inconsistency. That was my thought at the time at least. A successful stint in the college ranks could have rectified that shortcoming though. He wouldn't be my choice on that list, but if it happened, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, just like I did to Gregg Williams.

lordofgun
11-09-2003, 08:26 PM
I really like Ferentz.

Dozerdog
11-09-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm open to a college guy- I'm not going to limit myself to a former head coach

No Carroll- He had 2 bites of the apple already with talented teams and went nowhere

Novacane
11-09-2003, 08:48 PM
I agree with DD. Carrolls had 2 shots and blew them. I would be seriously depressed if they brought Carroll in here!

The Spaz
11-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I really like Ferentz.

I'm with you this guy seems like he knows a lot of phases of the game not just O or D!:fab:

The Spaz
11-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Kirk Ferentz

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/k-ferentz.jpg

http://hawkeyesports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ferentz_kirk00.html

Sounds well qualified to me! :beer::)

NC-BILLS44
11-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Head Coach - Tom Coughlin - this team needs a coach with passion and discipline.
OC- Norm Chow from USC

Draft- Philip Rivers QB NC State

Chow and Rivers worked wonders together and Rivers is a quick thinker that gets the job done.

jaja54
11-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Why is it that Bob Stoops isn't mentioned on this list? I know every Fin fan is praying he's brought into Miami.

Tatonka
11-10-2003, 08:09 AM
stoops would have to be considered..

i like ferentz personally.. he was an assistant head coach in the nfl w/ the ravens. he specialized in the Oline.. and iowa has had one of, if not THE best line in the nation since he took over.

we know coughlin wears on players and has never won anything.

we know that denny green has never won a playoff game.

i want someone young and fresh that has nfl experience and coaching experience. ferentz seems like the perfect choice.

Historian
11-10-2003, 08:28 AM
I want either Coughlin, or Dan Reeves. They said Reeves would probably be canned at the end of the season. He took the Broncos to several SBs, resurrected the Giants after the Ray Handly mess, and took a pathetic Falcon team to the SB.

Either one is a no nonsense Coach.

The Spaz
11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
stoops would have to be considered..

i like ferentz personally.. he was an assistant head coach in the nfl w/ the ravens. he specialized in the Oline.. and iowa has had one of, if not THE best line in the nation since he took over.

we know coughlin wears on players and has never won anything.

we know that denny green has never won a playoff game.

i want someone young and fresh that has nfl experience and coaching experience. ferentz seems like the perfect choice.

I want Ferentz!:hi5: :injured:

The_Philster
11-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
I want either Coughlin, or Dan Reeves. They said Reeves would probably be canned at the end of the season. He took the Broncos to several SBs, resurrected the Giants after the Ray Handly mess, and took a pathetic Falcon team to the SB.

Either one is a no nonsense Coach.
Reeves is an enigma, IMO. He benched his entire starting secondary two weeks ago which looked like he was practically giving up on the season, like Wade did in his final year here. Scary thing is, they only lost by a TD to the Eagles and then came back and took down the Giants by 20 with that same group of reservs.

Historian
11-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Someone also brought up Glanville on Felser's show today. I always liked him. His teams were as physical as I have ever seen, and lets be honest, he was entertaining.

DraftBoy
11-10-2003, 05:51 PM
I like Ferentz as well!!!

ArcticWildMan
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Glanville is a buffoon. We don't need that clown. :cynic:

Historian
11-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Glanville is a buffoon. We don't need that clown. :cynic:

...as opposed to the buffoons and clowns that have been running the team for the last six years?