Flutie pulls it off and beats Minnesota!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Flutie pulls it off and beats Minnesota!

Ageless wonder Flutie does it again!

Doug Flutie proved there's no age limit on magic.

The 41-year-old Flutie juked his way to two touchdowns and threw for two more in his first start in nearly two years, leading the San Diego Chargers to a stunning 42-28 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

The big performance from the pint-sized Flutie and two touchdown runs by LaDainian Tomlinson - including a 73-yarder, his longest career TD -- injected some excitement into an otherwise dismal season for the Chargers (2-7).

It might have also made coach Marty Schottenheimer wonder why he took so long to bench the ineffective Drew Brees in favor of the energetic Flutie, whose scrambling ability has kept him playing pro football for 19 years despite being just 5-foot-10.

Flutie's second rushing touchdown might have been his most impressive moment of the day. On second-and-7 from the Minnesota 13, he fumbled the snap, picked it up and ran straight up the middle before sidestepping safety Brian Russell and diving into the end zone for a 42-21 lead midway through the fourth quarter.CLICK FOR MORE:
  • Alluro
    You Don't Stand a Chance !
    • Jul 2002

Even though it didn't work out here, you gotta love it ! how can you not root for a guy like doug? He should have been playing over RJ all along

Comment

• fushetti
      President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Alluro
      Even though it didn't work out here, you gotta love it ! how can you not root for a guy like doug? He should have been playing over RJ all along
      How can I not root for him?

He ripped apart the city, team, and organization.
      The guy is a total jerk.

He caught the Vikings at the right time
      "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Alluro
        Agreed! I was one of the biggest Doug Flutie fans when he was here...but I just got sick of all the people who left the team and wear the Chargers Flutie jersey. it makes you wonder though. How would the Chargers be if Flutie got the starting nod a few weeks ago. Flutie Magic! although you gotta give some credit to LaDainian Tomlinson and the defense. 16 carries for 162 yards and 2 TDs, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF.

Comment

• Jaded 7
          Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
          • Jul 2002

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for Doug right now!!!! I'm glad he won and won big! I don't think he's starter material, but he definitely brings a charge and a new life back into a dying team. I think that he was EXACTLY what the Chargers needed and I think that if Shottenheimer has any brains whatsoever, he'll leave Doug in for a few more games.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
          Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
          The only answer I found for all this hurt
          Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• fushetti
            • Feb 2003

Jaded...i had a thing for ya.. but its gone now.

Flutie makes me sick to my stomach.
            "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
            Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by fushetti

The guy is a total jerk.

He caught the Vikings at the right time
              He should not get the blame for that all on his own! Butler is the one who signed them both to HUGE contracts and brought Flutie here on the theory that he would be starting. Also, Flutie took the team to the playoffs and was benched in favor of one of the worst Quarterbacks in Bills' history. He was screwed over so many times. He doesn't get enough credit. I'm surprised he didn't ***** earlier. He had to put up with a lot of ****. if Wade handled it like a real coach, there would have been no problems and Wade would probably still be here.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jaded 7
                I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for Doug right now!!!! I'm glad he won and won big! I don't think he's starter material, but he definitely brings a charge and a new life back into a dying team. I think that he was EXACTLY what the Chargers needed and I think that if Shottenheimer has any brains whatsoever, he'll leave Doug in for a few more games.
                Plus, Brees is that much crappier!!!

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

The guy is a total jerk.

that has to be the biggest bunch of crap i've ever read here at the BFZ. Or are you joking? if so, disregard my first remark
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• fushetti
                    • Feb 2003

You guys. The Doug Flutie apologists. awwwww.. poor dougie got screwed over. Spare me. When doug wins a big game, please pm me.

Loved when he couldve ran in for a touchdown the last play of the 1998 playoff game against the Dolphins, but rather got sacked.
                    Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

• fushetti
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by imbondz

that has to be the biggest bunch of crap i've ever read here at the BFZ.
                      WTF you talking about? Were you not at RWS during the 99-00 seasons?
                      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz
                        that has to be the biggest bunch of crap i've ever read here at the BFZ.
                        EXACTLY! worse than a Wys post!

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

WTF you talking about? Were you not at RWS during the 99-00 seasons?
                          it's just a little melodramatic to say he "ripped apart the city, season..." Didn't he get us to the playoffs the '99 season...
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• fushetti
                            • Feb 2003

bondz...

I bought his act in 1998.

In 1999 he was ordinary.

In 2000 all hell broke loose with RJ/Wade/Doug.

Enjoying football in this town was tough with the whole Flutie/Johnson thing going on. And yes, the city was divided..the lockerroom was divided. Its factual. Not melodramatic
                            Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

• fushetti
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Mike32282

EXACTLY! worse than a Wys post!
                              I actually take that as a compliment.

Wys speaks his mind on the issues and because you don't agree or have rose colored glasses on all the time, you pound on him.
                              Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

Working...
                              X