PDA

View Full Version : Flutie pulls it off and beats Minnesota!

Michael82
11-09-2003, 06:49 PM
Ageless wonder Flutie does it again!

Doug Flutie proved there's no age limit on magic.

The 41-year-old Flutie juked his way to two touchdowns and threw for two more in his first start in nearly two years, leading the San Diego Chargers to a stunning 42-28 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

The big performance from the pint-sized Flutie and two touchdown runs by LaDainian Tomlinson - including a 73-yarder, his longest career TD -- injected some excitement into an otherwise dismal season for the Chargers (2-7).

It might have also made coach Marty Schottenheimer wonder why he took so long to bench the ineffective Drew Brees in favor of the energetic Flutie, whose scrambling ability has kept him playing pro football for 19 years despite being just 5-foot-10.

Flutie's second rushing touchdown might have been his most impressive moment of the day. On second-and-7 from the Minnesota 13, he fumbled the snap, picked it up and ran straight up the middle before sidestepping safety Brian Russell and diving into the end zone for a 42-21 lead midway through the fourth quarter.CLICK FOR MORE: (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20031109_MIN@SD)

Alluro
11-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Even though it didn't work out here, you gotta love it ! how can you not root for a guy like doug? He should have been playing over RJ all along

fushetti
11-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
Even though it didn't work out here, you gotta love it ! how can you not root for a guy like doug? He should have been playing over RJ all along

How can I not root for him?

He ripped apart the city, team, and organization.
The guy is a total jerk.

He caught the Vikings at the right time ;)

Michael82
11-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Alluro

Agreed! I was one of the biggest Doug Flutie fans when he was here...but I just got sick of all the people who left the team and wear the Chargers Flutie jersey. it makes you wonder though. How would the Chargers be if Flutie got the starting nod a few weeks ago. Flutie Magic! :D although you gotta give some credit to LaDainian Tomlinson and the defense. 16 carries for 162 yards and 2 TDs, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF. :up:

Valerie
11-09-2003, 07:00 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for Doug right now!!!! I'm glad he won and won big! I don't think he's starter material, but he definitely brings a charge and a new life back into a dying team. I think that he was EXACTLY what the Chargers needed and I think that if Shottenheimer has any brains whatsoever, he'll leave Doug in for a few more games.

fushetti
11-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Jaded...i had a thing for ya.. but its gone now.

Flutie makes me sick to my stomach.

Michael82
11-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by fushetti

The guy is a total jerk.

He caught the Vikings at the right time ;)

He should not get the blame for that all on his own! Butler is the one who signed them both to HUGE contracts and brought Flutie here on the theory that he would be starting. Also, Flutie took the team to the playoffs and was benched in favor of one of the worst Quarterbacks in Bills' history. He was screwed over so many times. He doesn't get enough credit. I'm surprised he didn't ***** earlier. He had to put up with a lot of ****. if Wade handled it like a real coach, there would have been no problems and Wade would probably still be here. :shakeno:

Michael82
11-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for Doug right now!!!! I'm glad he won and won big! I don't think he's starter material, but he definitely brings a charge and a new life back into a dying team. I think that he was EXACTLY what the Chargers needed and I think that if Shottenheimer has any brains whatsoever, he'll leave Doug in for a few more games.

Plus, Brees is that much crappier!!! :snicker:

imbondz
11-09-2003, 07:10 PM

The guy is a total jerk.

that has to be the biggest bunch of crap i've ever read here at the BFZ. Or are you joking? if so, disregard my first remark :up:

fushetti
11-09-2003, 07:10 PM
You guys. The Doug Flutie apologists. awwwww.. poor dougie got screwed over. Spare me. When doug wins a big game, please pm me.

Loved when he couldve ran in for a touchdown the last play of the 1998 playoff game against the Dolphins, but rather got sacked.

fushetti
11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

that has to be the biggest bunch of crap i've ever read here at the BFZ.

WTF you talking about? Were you not at RWS during the 99-00 seasons?

Michael82
11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
that has to be the biggest bunch of crap i've ever read here at the BFZ.

EXACTLY! worse than a Wys post! :snicker:

imbondz
11-09-2003, 07:13 PM
WTF you talking about? Were you not at RWS during the 99-00 seasons?

it's just a little melodramatic to say he "ripped apart the city, season..." Didn't he get us to the playoffs the '99 season...

fushetti
11-09-2003, 07:16 PM
bondz...

I bought his act in 1998.

In 1999 he was ordinary.

In 2000 all hell broke loose with RJ/Wade/Doug.

Enjoying football in this town was tough with the whole Flutie/Johnson thing going on. And yes, the city was divided..the lockerroom was divided. Its factual. Not melodramatic

fushetti
11-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

EXACTLY! worse than a Wys post! :snicker:

I actually take that as a compliment.

Wys speaks his mind on the issues and because you don't agree or have rose colored glasses on all the time, you pound on him.

imbondz
11-09-2003, 07:19 PM
I hear ya, I just don't think his stint here was as negative as some people think-

RJ on the other hand.. :madcurse:

fushetti
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
I hear ya, I just don't think his stint here was as negative as some people think-

RJ on the other hand.. :madcurse:

RJ blows.

The_Philster
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Gotta admit...looking at the highlights...it's like vintage Flutie...from early in the seasons he played for us

Michael82
11-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Gotta admit...looking at the highlights...it's like vintage Flutie...from early in the seasons he played for us

Yup. :sadwalk:

Valerie
11-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by fushetti Jaded...i had a thing for ya.. but its gone now.

Flutie makes me sick to my stomach.
Sorry, Fushetti. I really like Doug. I think he's a decent quarterback and I think he's a lot of fun to watch. He brings excitement to the game and he obviously brought life to a lifeless San Diego team.

STAMPY
11-09-2003, 09:27 PM
started first game of last 2 years... and upset vikes with 2 rushing, 2 passing tds. great to see flutie still has that heart he always possessed:rocker:

chubluv
11-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Who cares thats yesturdays news !!!!!!!

EM Bills Fan 80
11-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Does he play for the Bills??? Wrong Forum

Cntrygal
11-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Off to the NFL News forum. :)

User Manuel
11-10-2003, 04:17 AM
Flutie = trash (always will!)

doug45
11-10-2003, 06:40 AM
Please don't start anymore Flutie threads it just brings out the idiots that like to insult and stir up trouble.

zone
11-10-2003, 06:44 AM
I think he played a amazing game, he is a great leader and allways makes the team play like they are going to have a chance no matter what!

Way to go doug!

ticatfan
11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
It just shows the bills could have a super bowl by now.hahahahaha

Brian Griese Rulz
11-10-2003, 09:24 AM
If he would have started the Playoff game against the Titians I think we would have made the Super Bowl that year.

STAMPY
11-10-2003, 10:19 AM
ya... i hated rj... and these people are crybabies case of sour grapes!!! just cause doug left u turned on him... he wanted to start in buffalo. if u knew u were better then the starting qb and lost ur spot u'd be pissed too, esp. since he worked to make playoffs n u didn't get to play

Valerie
11-10-2003, 10:45 AM
This is what I'm talkin' about!

fabolouspaul
11-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Flutie > Bledsoe > RJ

Kat in da Hat
11-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Makes you wonder if San Diego is scratching their collective heads right now for not starting him sooner. Ah well.. coulda woulda shoulda..

Brian Griese Rulz
11-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Hate to say it, I'd rather have a 41 year old Fluite then Drew Bledsoe.

The best QB the Bills had since Jim Kelly and are genuis coaching/GM staff cut him.

Valerie
11-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Nicely put, Brian! I whole-heartedly agree with you! :)

Michael82
11-10-2003, 11:26 AM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/GOS107110920_1024x768.jpg

Valerie
11-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Hot damn I love that man!!!!!:love:

Brian Griese Rulz
11-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Did you see the move he put on that Minny player when DF went into the endzone? It reminded me of Chad Pennigton's move on Eddie Robertson last year.

Valerie
11-10-2003, 11:43 AM
No. I didn't get that game at all. And I missed the first few minutes of the highlights. :(

BAM
11-10-2003, 11:46 AM
I wish we could join Flutie's legs with the rest of Bledslow's body.

fushetti
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Doug does bring that energy. But, he's like a Kevin Gilbride offense, it gets figured out sooner or later.

doug45
11-10-2003, 03:20 PM
You guys. The Doug Flutie apologists. awwwww.. poor dougie got screwed over. Spare me. When doug wins a big game, please pm me.

Loved when he couldve ran in for a touchdown the last play of the 1998 playoff game against the Dolphins, but rather got sacked.

No one is an apologist, people just don't like the name calling and bashing. He had a good game and anybody that plays like that at 41 years old is doing something right. Which BIG Game woould like to hear about , College, Pro, there are plenty to go around.

People need to have some class.

SABURZFAN
11-11-2003, 06:24 AM
:z:

SABURZFAN
11-11-2003, 06:25 AM
:z:

lordofdump
11-11-2003, 07:45 PM
well well flutie got lucky
sooner or later
he will fall
bank on it

HAMMER
11-13-2003, 05:53 PM
I posted this earlier in another thread about the Page 2 story on ESPN's WEbsite.

"That is a very true article. He will shine every once in a while, but then it's back to the crapper. He is the best back-up in the game, he is quite possibly one of the worst starters though. I know he started Sunday and lit it up but two things will happen very quickly.
1. Teams game plan him and shut him right down (see the second half of the 98' season when our offense averaged 11 points a game, although right now that doesn't look so bad!)
2. His arm and legs will go dead after a few starts, he is just too small for the NFL.

Besides all this, he always manages to be in the eye of the storm, not good for team chemistry. AJ Smith has got his hands full for sure. Personally, if my team were 1-7 and my QB was young and struggling I would let him play his way out of it, or not. Flutie is not your future and you will have to make a decision on Brees for good. AJ Smith is the one that needs to make that call because Marty will do whatever he has to to win, self preservation!"

That article NAILS IT! I will give the man some credit, he is an exceptional athlete and has some of the intangibles you want, fire, desire, will to win, hard worker. But he is a major head case, he is selfish, he is a very conceited. Buffalo won games despite Doug Flutie in 98', under his command our offense averaged like 11 points a game the entire second half of the season. We won because we had the #1 defense in the NFL and he rarely turned the ball over. Settle down Jaded, he is married.