X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Judge
    • Aug 2002

Watson- why it's unfair to single him out

Think back- how many of the penalties called on Watson have you thought were really ticky-tack marginal calls? I think at least 1 in each of the last 2 games was a bogus penalty.

On top of that- Watson is our #3 CB, and yet he's been forced into covering the #1 WR on the opposing team on a seemingly regular basis for at least the past 3 games. Considering he's gone up against Moss, Rod Smith, and Booker regularly, he has hung in there.

And he made a HUGE pass defense in OT Sunday- to lead to the WIN!

Stop singling out Watson as a scape goat.
    Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

The voice of reason. Good post Judge!
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

The problem is is that the other teams are singling him out, and having success doing so.

I think he us putting up a gutsy effort. I think the lack of a decent pass rush needs to share the blame.

Comment

• Judge
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by BillsFanOne
        I think the lack of a decent pass rush needs to share the blame.
        Excellent point-

w/o a decent pass rush, pass coverage can break down and even a crummy QB like Jim Miller can have the time to find someone breaking open.
        Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• Patrick76777
          • Jul 2002

Nice post Judge.....of course..........

Personally, I think it's to be expected. Teams are avoiding our top two corners. I think it says a lot for Clements and Winfield.....Teams are afraid to throw against them.
          Resign our own guys!

Comment

• mchurchfie
            • Jul 2002

Good points. I also think that the defensive scheme of having him play off the receiver 10-12 yds instead of bump-n-run has a lot to do with it and is stupid. Even a journeyman like Miller can complete a quick 7 yd pass before Watson has a chance to get to him and that is exactly what he was doing.
            My Band
            daveviterna.com

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Wys Guy
                Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                • Jul 2002

I'll get off Watson's back when I start seeing him toe-to-toe w/ the WRs he's covering istead of 2-5 yards, or more, behind them. He often lets his guy go even when the ball isn't thrown his man's way. I don't think he gets too much criticism at all.

It's one thing when you go up against the better WRs and struggle some, it's completely another when you're constantly getting schooled by them, turned around, burned deep, or otherwise simply outplayed and overmatched.

Besides, in zones that's what happens. You often get stuck w/ the better WRs. The bottom line, whether you want to make excuses or not, is that Watson is the weak link in our nickel backs. I would quite honestly rather see one of our Ss in there instead. Sure Bostic is not great, but he's young and we didn't trade a 4th round pick for him.

I would really prefer Irvin w/ all of his faults. I'm guessing that Watson won't be around next season. We should be able to get a couple of decent CBs this offseason. The jury's still out w/ Bostic, he may improve. But Watson, for a 4th year guy playing the way he is, I'm not holdin' out hope. He's so sloppy in his coverage that it's a travesty.
                Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

You must remember that the primary reason we traded Denver for Watson was his punt and kick returning. That didn't pan out. So why are we hanging onto him as a CB? Doesn't make sense to me since he's not good.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                    • Jul 2002

That is so far off, wys. Watson had obviously played two sub-par games and must play better but if these are sub-par, I will take it. He hasn't given up a lot of yards. He has ZERO long plays against him. For all the crap he took about the Broncos game, against one of the very best receivers in the game, Rod Smith, Watson gave up 6 catches for 65 yards and almost everyone here, even the notorius complainers, noted that one of his two penalties was a crock (I guess, of course, because it still allowed them to complain). For all his "he needs to be cut" play against the Bears, the Bears managed a total of 188 yards passing as a team. And 240 total yards including an overtime possession. Yes, Watson needs to step up, yes he is giving up too many first downs, but he has yet to give up a long play, and I can't even remember a TD that he has against him.

Furthermore, Watson was a completely raw cornerback coming out of college. The draftniks were all impressed with his size and speed and raw talent and he was the classic "project" CB. He wasn't known for only being a return man whatsoever. And the only reason the Broncos let him go was they had several good cornerbacks as well as a new return man they wanted to give the ball to. Watson also played well as a CB two years ago and last year for the Bills, even as a starter on a crappy defense.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                      • Jul 2002

Funny you say that Kelly. For every single game this season, and you can even ask Jaded as she sat w/ me for one of the games, I've pointed out specifically how Watson's played and how even on plays where the ball doesn't come his way he's way behind his man.

So no, I'm not way off base. Watch the games and take particular note of where Watson is on most passing plays and count how many times he gets beat and also count the number of penalties that he has in a given game and what those penalties cost us.

He had a nice illegal contact which was unnecessary had he been able to cover, to turn a 3rd and 5 or 6 from the Bears own 25 or so, into a first down which resulted in a total change of field-position against us as the Bears drove another 30 or 40 to put us deep.

If he could cover, or chuck legally at the LoS, then he wouldn't have cost us that change in FP.

BTW, if you think I'm off base, then why is the entire sports media, particularly those that cover the Bills also recognizing the same thing??

I'll wager you anything that in 2 more weeks the heat is gonna be so deep that it'll be painfully clear to everyone exactly how inept he is as CBs go. I really don't know what your watching to defend Watson as anything other than well below average.

As to the long plays against him, I cannot count the times when his guy is 5-10 down the field past him whether the ball comes his way or not. The man simply can't cover. Watch this week v. the Raiders. You'll see. He was actually burned very deep this past week. I think Winfield got the rap in the zone, but it was clear that the CB on the WR was Watson primarily. In any event, Watson was more positioned to make the play than Winfield.

Wasn't Watson on the coverage, and behind Terrell, on one of the two alleged TDs?

He had least 7 passes for 50 yards against him, the Bears, a weak passing team on Sunday. That's almost a third of the total passing yards for Chicago. Also, who was supposed to be covering Booker on that 33 yd. pass he caught. I don't remember exactly, but if I'm not mistaken, Watson was supposed to be there. He also had a key illegal contact penalty on 3rd and 5 to give the Bears a 1st and keep their drive alive when the D was playing well and going to hold them.

V. Denver he was again, the weak link:

6 passes for 65 yards, one v. Lelie and 1 P.I. penalty that gave the Broncos a first down. That penalty was b/c he can't cover and had to commit it.

In any case, for a P/T cover guy, that's not good! And again, that's almost a third of the total passing yards that Denver had!

Meanwhile, does he have any INTs? No! Sacks? No! Is he great on run D, no! He's one of the weakest tacklers on the team. Just watch him.

What about past? 1 INT his entire career. 0 sacks.

Whatever...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                        So no, I'm not way off base.

BTW, if you think I'm off base, then why is the entire sports media, particularly those that cover the Bills also recognizing the same thing??

Whatever...
                        Geez, wys. Just cause you were wrong about Drew and RJ doesn't mean you have to get so defensive.:angry:

Comment

• LABillsFan
                          • Aug 2002

See Weakest link part I and II. I won't accept the rationalizing that he is the 3rd Corner and is not expected to play all that well, or as far as 3rd Corners he's not bad. The only thing he can cover is his head under the sheets this week because he is going to get S M O K E D against the Raiders. Gray has to come up with the scheme of all schemes to protect Watson. Watson is going to develope twitches after this game. It wouldn't suprise me if he gets 10 speeding tickets this week because he is afraid of a car getting passed him. Some say the Bills need a better push from the DL. While the DL could get a better push, I seem to remember Griese being knocked down, hurried and sacked on manyoccasions , yet Watson still got BronKO'd in his coverage. Don't buy it, don't sell me it, don't leave it on my door step, don't fertilize my lawn with it. He is the Weakest link, Good bye.
                          I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

EE,

Until I pass this kidney stone, I'm "itchy." LOL

LA,

You heretic you!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              • Jul 2002

It will be painfully clear to all Bills fans whose attention it may have slipped that Watson is clearly the one player who needs to as soon as possible after playing the Raiders and the Phins. Houston, well, they have no air game, so if Watson proves that v. them, then he's worth cutting on the plane ride home...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X