PDA

View Full Version : Why did GW punt??????

OpIv37
11-09-2003, 08:20 PM
This decision made no sense to me- as soon as I saw Moorman coming on the field, I knew we weren't gonna get the ball back, even with 2 timeouts.

The way the offense was playing, they probably wouldn't have made the 8 yards anway. But at least it would keep the ball in Buffalo's hands and not give Dallas the chance to put the game away (which they did)

Dozerdog
11-09-2003, 08:23 PM
It was a sound decision at the time. The Bills had forced Dallas 3 and out almost the entire second half. Only after Pat Williams went down did they break anything. I can't fault them for that call.

Shiny Chicken
11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
I actually agree with the call too. They had been shutting down their offense throughout the entire half... the better odds were with punting... especially just down by 4.

Not that I think we have even a semi-decent coaching staff... just for the moment that was the better call... in retrospect, no... but in terms of liklihood of success, it was the better call.

OpIv37
11-09-2003, 08:57 PM
It may be one of those "hindsight is 20/20" problems- if he had gone for it and didn't get it, we'd be having the opposite discussion right now.

If there were 4 minutes left, I would have agreed with the punt, but as soon as that ball left the punter's foot I knew that Bledsoe wasn't going to get his hands on it again.

Dozerdog
11-09-2003, 09:00 PM
If they were 20-30 yards farther downfield- go for it- but not under your own goalposts.

Look at Belichek on MNF- took the safety - he's a genius today

OpIv37
11-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
If they were 20-30 yards farther downfield- go for it- but not under your own goalposts.

Look at Belichek on MNF- took the safety - he's a genius today

True- that was one of the weirdest calls I've ever seen in football, but it worked extremely well.

As far as the punt- either one was a gamble at that point. The truth is that if the offense and playcalling had been better, it never would have happened and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Maybe it was the right call, but I don't know if we should give GW credit for it because all the previous bad calls are what lead to the situation.

Dozerdog
11-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Kill the 3 yard out pattern on 3rd down.

Kill all the short pass routes all game- especially on 3rd down

Kill running the ball wide with Sammy Morris in the 2nd quarter

Turf
11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Doesn't matter. After the punt 3rd and two, and we have a 3 man line. Which moron called this formation?

OpIv37
11-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Doesn't matter. After the punt 3rd and two, and we have a 3 man line. Which moron called this formation?

Must have been KG- in Buffalo, 3rd and 2 is a passing down