PDA

View Full Version : Drew isn't even respected by OC's anymore

BillsFever
11-09-2003, 11:44 PM
What QB couldn't expose a team sending the blitz at him everytime he goes back to pass? Eventually a QB will find one of the open WR's and burn them with the blitz.

This shows a lack of respect and having no fear in Bledsoe making the right decision to beat them at it.

Teams just don't blitz all the time. Drew has nothing left and the league knows it.

Cntrygal
11-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Well the defenses don't really worry about our running game. Even if we run a few times, we don't stick with it. :(

Philagape
11-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Exactly. An established running game forces LBs and safeties to be ready for a run instead of storming the QB.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 12:27 AM
What are we supposed to do run every play so Drew doesn't have to pass? If that's the kind of QB you want then that's your decision but that's not what I'm looking for.

Henry has had 3 great games in a row and Drew can't capitalize on it. Dallas was schemed to stop the run and Drew still couldn't do it.

And if the're loading on Drew and send the kitchen sink you would think he would read it at least once and find an open WR that has to be open when they're sending 8 guys at him.

Cntrygal
11-10-2003, 12:34 AM
No, that's not what I mean. I would just like to see an ESTABLISHED running game that we are committed to. I've always thought that the "run is supposed to set up the pass". Not the other way around. If defenses actually believed that they were in danger of us running, we may be able to successfully pass. But instead, they know that once KG starts having DB throwing....... that's what we're going to stick with. We're very predictable.

Cntrygal
11-10-2003, 12:38 AM
oh.... and I forgot to add..... that I would love to see the plays get called by someone who appeared to have a clue. Third and short we pass ..... Third and long we run???? What's up with that?

Philagape
11-10-2003, 12:45 AM
We're supposed to run on first down at least a majority of the time. We're supposed to run on third and short at least some of the time. We're supposed to run enough so that safeties and LBs won't blitz as much, and they'll bite on play-action passes.
Henry had a great game against Wash., when we did all that and won. He had good games STATISTICALLY against KC and Dallas, but the offense wasn't centered around him as it should be, as was repeatedly promised before the season. In those games we passed first, then ran, so there was nothing to capitalize on.
Drew is the kind of QB that needs help. He's past his prime and immobile but can still do well in an offense that helps him out and doesn't try to force players into an egomaniac's failed scheme. He needs a running game to set the tone, and he needs time, and he needs receivers to run real routes instead of West Coast short crap.
The WC Offense does not work unless it has Hall of Fame execution from Montana and Rice, coached by Walsh. Most other teams that try it fail. Running games and defenses win championships. The last three Super Bowl-winning QBs are Brad Johnson, Tom Brady and Trent Dilfer. I don't think we'll see any of them in Canton. We need an offense that keep defenses honest, protects the QB and makes the best use of the skills of a QB and WRs. Ours doesn't. We have a Pro Bowl receiver who runs 5-yard slants.
Dallas' scheme was to kill Drew. We all knew it, and the Bills did nothing to stop it.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Drew needs this, Drew needs that. People have been saying that for that last 5 years.

There isn't enough time and salary cap space in the NFL to get Drew everything he needs. He needs a top notch running game, a wall that can block for 6 seconds on every play, and 2 or 3 weapons to pass to.

I can name at least 10 QB's with less talent around them then Drew, on a worst team then Drew, and are under worst conditions then Drew who are putting up better numbers.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 12:52 AM
An offense that protects the ball? Drew has 90% of our turnovers this year.

Cntrygal
11-10-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
I can name at least 10 QB's with less talent around them then Drew, on a worst team then Drew, and are under worst conditions then Drew who are putting up better numbers.

:( I don't doubt that at all....... but how's their coaching staff. Are their coaches playing to the strengths or highlighting the weaknesses?

:(

BADTHINGSMAN
11-10-2003, 01:00 AM
I agree with Billsfever, by the time Drew gets what he needs what he has now will be over.. Not even having P.Price could help D.Bledsoe out this year..

BADTHINGSMAN
11-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Its not just the coaching staff, Bledsoe has failed to get rid of the ball, taking to many sacks, he cant pick up the blitz and his accuracy is way off.. Bledsoe is the one in charge on the field.. If he doesnt like a call , he needs to audible out of the play call more.. Bledsoe just isnt getting it done this year, even when the Oline gives him some time he forces the ball..

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 01:05 AM
If if Drew is such a great QB why do we need to build an cast of pro bowlers at every position around him? No team can do that.

If you build the kind of team around Akili Smith that everybody talks about building around Drew he would be a great QB too.

Cntrygal
11-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Is anyone in this thread saying he's "GREAT"? I'm not. BUT..... IMO, the lack of coaching/discipline is more to blame. After all... you said it best, there are QB's with less talent doing more. What's the common denominator with those teams that we're lacking?

Philagape
11-10-2003, 01:11 AM
Drew needs this, Drew needs that. People have been saying that for that last 5 years.

There isn't enough time and salary cap space in the NFL to get Drew everything he needs. He needs a top notch running game, a wall that can block for 6 seconds on every play, and 2 or 3 weapons to pass to.

OK, do it.

Cntrygal
11-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Is anyone in this thread saying he's "GREAT"?

Nevermind... I think I see what thread has ya all fired up. ;)

Philagape
11-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Drew doesn't need Pro Bowlers all around him ... he just needs a competent offensive plan! One that uses the run to set up the pass! One that sends Eric Moulds farther than 10 yards!
Why SHOULDN'T teams blitz or use extra coverage? If we don't even respect our own running game enough to make it the centerpiece of our offense, why should opponents?

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Philagape
OK, do it.

Jeff Blake
Quincy Carter
Jake Delohmme
David Carr
Vinny/Pennington
Harrington
Ramsey
Garcia
Kitna
Leftwhich

Them are 10 QB's on teams with either less talent around them or on pitiful football teams that have outplayed Drew Bledsoe this year.

The Natrix
11-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Bills fever, I completely agree with you. I guess I'll just have to agree to suffer through the Bledsoe error. Wake me when it's over.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Bills fever, I completely agree with you. I guess I'll just have to agree to suffer through the Bledsoe error. Wake me when it's over.

Hopefully you won't have to sleep any longer then 7 more weeks.

Philagape
11-10-2003, 02:04 AM
OK, first let's eliminate the ones who have NOT done better than Bledsoe:

Leftwich -- worse stats, worse record
Harrington -- WAY worse stats, worse record
Carr -- slightly worse stats, worse record
Garcia -- worse stats, same record

Of the rest:
Carter -- stats about the same, Dallas has benefitted from weak schedule.
Blake -- stats about the same, has committed running game (Shipp got 64 carries in weeks 8 and 9).
Ramsey -- his season has been pretty parallel; did great early, but has gotten killed recently. Did better Sunday.

Delhomme -- stats slightly better; his team is a QB's dream. Run, run, run, great defense.
Kitna -- Rudi Johnson got 40-something carries Sunday. Chad Johnson flies down the field. Ya think we'd be doing better if Henry and Moulds got to do that?
Vinny/Pennington -- This is the only one I'll really grant you. Vinny makes fewer mistakes, and Chad is a budding star. But right now, without the advantage of other factors, none of the others have proven that they're better than Drew.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 02:16 AM
OK, first let's eliminate the ones who have NOT done better than Bledsoe:

Leftwich -- worse stats, worse record
Harrington -- WAY worse stats, worse record
Carr -- slightly worse stats, worse record
Garcia -- worse stats, same record

Bledsoe- 7 TD's, 14 TO's

Leftwhich- 10 TD's, 15 TO's. In 3 less games he has 3 more TD's then Drew. All this from a rookie QB on a terrible team.

Harrington- 9 TD's, 13 TO's. A 2nd year QB on a terrible team with 2 more TD's and 1 less TO

Carr- 10 TD's, 9 TO's. A 2nd year QB on a bad team with more TD's and less TO's.

Garcia- 12 TD's, 9 TO's. A QB with less talent around him with almost twice the TD's and less TO's.

Each QB has more TD's and only 1 has more TO's. All these teams with the exception of San Fran were supposed to be bad teams. We were supposed to be a contender.

Are you still sure these guys have worst stats? Try again.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 02:33 AM

Of the rest:
Carter -- stats about the same, Dallas has benefitted from weak schedule.
Blake -- stats about the same, has committed running game (Shipp got 64 carries in weeks 8 and 9).
Ramsey -- his season has been pretty parallel; did great early, but has gotten killed recently. Did better Sunday.

Bledsoe- 7 TD's, 14 TO's

Blake- 13 TD's, 12 TO's- The Cardinals? Gimme a break. All that and he has almost TWICE as many TD's and less TO's.

Carter- 10 TD's, 10 TO's- More TD's and less TO's

Ramsey- 13 TD's, 11 TO's- A 2nd year QB with NO type of a running game. All that and almost TWICE the TD's and yet again less TO's

Yeah, I agree these stats are pretty damn close :rolleyes:

Has anybody else seen the same theme yet besides Philagape?

All them QB's have more TD's and only 1 of them have less TO's. Do you even check any of this stuff up or did you sleep everyday during math class?

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 02:55 AM
Drew Bledsoe has has more TD's then only 1 starting QB(McNabb) in the NFL but there are only 3 QB's(Collins, Brees, Maddox) with more TO's.

What a great QB we have. He has giving his team less TD's with the exception of 1 QB in the league but more TO's with the exception of 3.

You're right Bledsoe is a great QB. I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Philagape
11-10-2003, 09:57 AM

Do you even check any of this stuff up or did you sleep everyday during math class?

I just know enough about football to know that the success of an offense isn't 100 percent dependent on the QB. There's the matter of play-calling, protecting the QB, defenses respecting a running game, and receivers running real routes. But with Blew, none of that matters?
The stats I used included completion pct. and QB rating (and were through week 9 since I did hate math class and didn't feel like doing computations at 3 a.m.)

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 03:36 PM
I just know enough about football to know that the success of an offense isn't 100 percent dependent on the QB. There's the matter of play-calling, protecting the QB, defenses respecting a running game, and receivers running real routes. But with Blew, none of that matters?
The stats I used included completion pct. and QB rating (and were through week 9 since I did hate math class and didn't feel like doing computations at 3 a.m.)

Who cares about completion percentage and QB ratings. The only thing that matters is TD's and TO's.

And if you really want me to look it up again, I'm willing to be at least 6 of them QB's have a better QB rating then Drew.

Philagape
11-10-2003, 05:37 PM

The only thing that matters is TD's and TO's.

It's really simple-minded to believe that offensive production all depends on the QB. There are 10 other players out there, plus coaches who plan how to use them.

And if we should dump Drew for fumbling, then Henry should have been dumped last year, right?
QBs throw INTs and they fumble. It comes with the position. The good offensive teams have all-around balance and good game plans. If neither of those fumbles had occurred, that doesn't increase the likelihood that we would have scored anyway because our offensive game plan is so horrible. As we showed in KC, we can't even score from the 2 because KG refuses to run.

Of the 10 QBs listed, only Pennington could have done anything better as the Bills' QB on Sunday.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 06:03 PM

Here are your precious QB ratings. You shouldn't have even brought it up.

Pennington- 91.7
Testeverde- 90.6
Kitna- 84.1
Delhomme- 78.8
Ramsey- 77.7
Blake- 77.2
Leftwich- 77.0
Carr- 75.4
Carter- 74.7
BLEDSOE- 74.4
Garcia- 72.0
Harrington- 60.8

Wrong again :lol: Drew is at the bottom of this list too.

I gotta admit. You have one hell of a vast knowledge for being wrong.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 06:18 PM

QBs throw INTs and they fumble. It comes with the position. The good offensive teams have all-around balance and good game plans. If neither of those fumbles had occurred, that doesn't increase the likelihood that we would have scored anyway because our offensive game plan is so horrible.

"QBs throw INTs and they fumble. It comes with the position."

I don't dispute that. Drew just does it on a more consistent basis though.

"The good offensive teams have all-around balance and good game plans."

I guess that is why the QB's who run the juggernauts from the Texans, Cardinals, Panthers, Cowboys, Redskins, and Jaguars all have better numbers then Drew. That explains everything.

"If neither of those fumbles had occurred, that doesn't increase the likelihood that we would have scored anyway because our offensive game plan is so horrible."

If neither of them fumbles occur then the Cowboys don't get a TD on the first fumble and we kick a FG from 45 yards away on the 2nd one. That would've made the game 9-3

You midas well quit now. You're making a fool of yourself. If you don't agree about Bledsoe being a rotten QB, that fine and that's your opinion. But when you keep saying things that are totally wrong it makes you look like a fool.

Do you watch the games? Lets see a list of things you've been wrong about in less then 24 hours...

1- The Bills run a WCO
2- There wasn't 10 QB's that stats as bad or worst then Drew's.
3- Neither of Drew's fumbles cost us anything in the game.
4- That you meant Drew had a better QB rating then them 10 QB's when 8 of them had a better QB rating.

That's 0-4. Save whatever face you have left and give it a rest.

Philagape
11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
First off, I had only numbers through week 9 at the time, like I said before. Drew was like 76-something at the time.
Four points isn't much of a difference, so in reality only three have a significantly better rating -- two from the same team, and Kitna has a committed running game (Rudi, 40-plus carries Sunday) and a receiver, Chad Johnson, who goes downfield unlike ours. ... also like I said, none of them except maybe Pennington could have done any better in our disaster of an offensive game plan.
AND, you're the one who brought up the whole 10 QB thing ... so either you're wrong or you can't count to 10 :-D

You blame Bledsoe, I blame Gilbride, neither of us is budging, so I'm dropping it. Of course, you'll go on laughing like Beavis ...

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Kitna has a committed running game (Rudi, 40-plus carries Sunday) ...

Cincy has a comitted running game? Why because they had 40 carries yesterday? Do you base everything off of what happened in Week 10? What happened the other 9 weeks?

Kitna- 298 pass attempts
Bledsoe- 297 pass attempts

Hmm, You mean Kitna has passed 1 more time with that committed running game?

Cincinatti's rushes by RB's- 237 attempts
Buffalo's rushes by RB's- 219 attempts

I'd say they're pretty committed. A whole 2 more attempts a game.

We've lost 4 games by 10 points or more and the Bengals have lost 1 game by more then 10 points. When you're behind like that it calls for more passing plays at the end of the game. All that and they have ran the ball 2 more times a game.

0-5

THenPitBull
11-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Bledsoe has always needed a great cast of players around him to be good. In NE with curtis martin, ben coates, and terry glenn, etc. I think the fact that we have no big time TE right now significantly hurts drews game. I think there is way to much blame of bledsoe, everyones crying cause he stunk against dallas, well dallas has the #1 defense. So they blitzed 8 or 7 on our 5, u make it sound like it's his fault for not calling an audible. What is he supposed to send receivers over to block? Even McNabb, a mobile QB had a difficulty even getting the ball off and took sacks against dallas. Everyones disappointment is only as big as your pre-season aspirations. Also when dallas blitzes we dont exactly have the fastest receivers to create space. Personally I think bledsoes really misses peerless. He's affective with Moulds cause mould's physicality creates his space. I wouldnt say drew is done either, its not like the guys got alzheimers, his arm is what got him to the NFL. I dont think at 30 or 31 bledsoe is washed up physically, all he has to do is use his arm to throw a football. There is doubt in my mind however that maybe his heart has diminished. Whatever, im disappointed as Im sure you all are.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 08:56 PM
You're right he sucked against Dallas. He also sucked against Miami, Cinci, Philly, N.Y., and Kansas City.

Philagape
11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Brett Favre just lost the game for Green Bay. They should bench him!!! ;-)