PDA

View Full Version : Pasquarelli: Problems in Buffalo

Romes
11-10-2003, 01:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1657823

While on the general topic of defenses: The Buffalo Bills statistically ranked third in the NFL in total defense entering Sunday's game at Texas Stadium, bottled up the Dallas Cowboys for the most part, limiting their opponents to 10 points. And the Bills, the chic pick by many pundits (including yours truly) to capture the AFC East, lost once again, fell to 4-5, and nudged coach Gregg Williams a step closer to the unemployment line.

The Bills invested plenty of time and money in upgrading the defense in the offseason but seemed to ignore the other side of the ball. The feeling was that, despite trading wide receiver Peerless Price to Atlanta, the Bills would win by running the ball more, putting less strain on Drew Bledsoe to make plays, become a tougher unit. It hasn't worked out, though, anything close to that blueprint. Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has not bought into the philosophy. The offensive line has taken a step back. Tailback Travis Henry has been injured and second-year wide receiver Josh Reed, the man who was supposed to pick up some of the slack of Price's departure, has been inconsistent.

The Bills ranked just 27th offensively before Sunday, and have now lost contests in which they surrendered only 17, 23 and 10 points. Buffalo has now lost four consecutive road games, been outscored 95-21 in that streak, and hasn't scored an offensive touchdown in the last three of those contests. Word is that the line is too easily confused by the blitz and that Bledsoe's once-lethal release has slowed considerably, allowing defenders to make a better break on the ball. As the Gilda Radner-created character Roseanne Roseannadanna used to implore: "It's always something." For the Bills, it was their porous defense in 2002, and this season it's an offense that has lost potency. There has been no happy medium and, come January, there won't be many happy members of the current coaching staff, either. One name to watch as a potential successor to Williams: Current Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey.

He seems to be on target with his assesment of the Bills.

The real reason why I posted this was his statement to look at Mike Mularkey as possible successor to GW. I know we at the boards mentioned him as possible OC when instead KG was hired. He is an offensive minded coach that has turned Maddox in to a solid NFL QB and made Kordell look decent at times. He might be able to make Bledsoe actually play up to his hype. Anyway, just food for thought Mike Mularkey next Bills head coach.

Romes
11-10-2003, 01:31 PM
yeah...plus he is from pittsburgh

zone
11-10-2003, 01:33 PM
I think we need an established NFL head coach IMO. Maybee he would be a good OC though......

venis2k1
11-10-2003, 02:39 PM
ehhh screw it, lets just let wys coach.

Dozerdog
11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
He's got it all wrong-

The Bills ranked just 27th offensively before Sunday, and have now lost contests in which they surrendered only 17, 23 and 10 points. Buffalo has now lost four consecutive road games, been outscored 95-21 in that streak, and hasn't scored an offensive touchdown in the last three of those contests.

It's 4 games- the TD in Miami was an interception return

ArcticWildMan
11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
NO!!!! Not another coordinator!!! :mad: Get a guy who has a track record of winning, not some OC who has had mediocre success in the softest division in football.

shelby
11-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Cottrell, Denny Green, or Coughlin.

ArcticWildMan
11-10-2003, 05:11 PM
I love Ted but he's just a coordinator. We need a coach that can set this team straight. That's gonna take somebody who has some time in the trenches already.

Coughlin
Green
Billick
Fassell

WG
11-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
ehhh screw it, lets just let wys coach.

I'll accept the GM position! :D

I'm not qualified to coach. :sadwalk:

WG
11-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
He's got it all wrong-

The Bills ranked just 27th offensively before Sunday, and have now lost contests in which they surrendered only 17, 23 and 10 points. Buffalo has now lost four consecutive road games, been outscored 95-21 in that streak, and hasn't scored an offensive touchdown in the last three of those contests.

It's 4 games- the TD in Miami was an interception return

That's what he said; four consecutive road games. We've score 9 defensive points to only 12 offensive points, or 21 total in those four road games.

We haven't scored and O TD in those 4 games. :)

WG
11-10-2003, 05:31 PM
"Bledsoe's once-lethal release has slowed considerably"

Exactly! Glad to see I'm not the only one that's noticed it. His arm strength has diminished as well. He's simply not got the same UMPH on the ball that he had two or three seasons ago. Once that goes, Blew becomes extremely expendable and easily below average. It's his "arm strength" that he has built his career around.

helmetguy
11-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Mike Mularkey? Ummm...when last I looked, Maddox was struggling, the running game was non-existent, and the O-line has been shuffled around all season long, looking for a shred of consistency. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Nighthawk
11-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Coughlin or Green would be really good for this team. Both have proven track records as HC's in this league and that is what we need. Coughlin brings more discipline to the position and might be the best option. I'm tired of seeing the players run the show, I want a strong minded coach to come in here and take control.

The_Philster
11-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Mike Mularkey? Ummm...when last I looked, Maddox was struggling, the running game was non-existent, and the O-line has been shuffled around all season long, looking for a shred of consistency. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

considering, last I knew, Mularkey is running the same offense that they ran under their previous OC (some guy with the initials KG :scratch: ), it's not a surprise

helmetguy
11-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
considering, last I knew, Mularkey is running the same offense that they ran under their previous OC (some guy with the initials KG :scratch: ), it's not a surprise

Figured you'd pick up on that!

The_Philster
11-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Figured you'd pick up on that!

:bravo:

helmetguy
11-10-2003, 08:06 PM
I see you've taken humility classes, too!

Ingtar33
11-10-2003, 08:33 PM
I'd love the oc post... sadly i don't have half the credentials needed for that job... maybe in 5 or 10 years :P

Tatonka
11-10-2003, 10:44 PM

i was JUST thinking the same thing.. pitts offense has abandoned the run as much if not more than buffalo's.. this god damned team was built to look just like carolina.. but they are calling the same plays they did last year.

The_Philster
11-11-2003, 03:07 AM
I see you've taken humility classes, too!

It's hard to be humble when you're this good :D

Cntrygal
11-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I'd love the oc post... sadly i don't have half the credentials needed for that job... maybe in 5 or 10 years :P

Contact Ralph..... maybe he won't worry about credentials right now. :D

SABURZFAN
11-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

It's hard to be humble when you're this good :D

:lol: