PDA

View Full Version : How is Drew's contract structured?

Jeff1220
11-10-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that his huge contract was with the Pats was2 tiered and the Pats picked up the tab on the first signing bonus. But, isn't this the final year of the first tier, leaving the Bills the choice of releasing him with absolutely no cap consequences? On the other hand, if they decide to keep him, how much does the contract change and how much is the second tier of the bonus? Also, how many years is the second part of the contract?

This could be a huge factor in whether or not TD will resign Drew or go in the direction of another veteran QB, while drafting a potential stud.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 08:37 PM
It has one more year left on it. His salary is for 6+ million for next year.

After next year we have to decide if we wanna pick up a 3 year contract that would pay him over 25 million. I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

There is no way in hell we will give him that money. I'm hoping we won't have to wait till after next year to send him packing in the limo he pulled up in. It's time to accept our mistake and cut our losses.

Dozerdog
11-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Clump's latest Salcap Page (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?action=YourSite_content&month=2&state=news&nid=4172)

Dozerdog
11-10-2003, 08:46 PM
$5.4 Million- he 's making about what RJ did, or what Fiedler is now.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
$5.4 Million- he 's making about what RJ did, or what Fiedler is now.

I'll take somebody else for a million dollars that will give us 7 TD's, 14 TO's, and about 13 PPG for a year.

I just don't see the sense of keeping him next year. He has proved he won't take us anywhere. And if we're not gonna keep him for the next part of the contract then that other 4.5 million could be used to keep Winfield, replace Winfield, or bring in another FA at another position like DE or DT that will be here for the future.

Dozerdog
11-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Until you replace the OC- no one will succeed at QB.

You can ***** and moan for change- but unless you have a plan- it's just noise.

helmetguy
11-10-2003, 08:58 PM

HUH? Speak up! I can't hear you over the noise!

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 09:00 PM
This is the same OC that made him an MVP canidate the first half of last year. This is the same OC that helped him pass for 4,000 yards, 24 TD's, and a pro-bowl bearth last year.

I know Gilbride sucks but there comes a time when Drew needs some of the blame. There is less talented and cheaper QB's on teams with half the talent and crappy OC's that is playing better then Drew.

WG
11-10-2003, 09:11 PM

I can't imagine that anyone is for keeping Gilbride and ditching Dredsoe. Obviously Gilbride is at the top of the fans hit list. So he's gone if the fans have the say. I'm tellin' ya tho, I'm still not convinced that TD thinks KG is the issue. We'll see.

But Blew has to go! I don't care what Fiedler is getting paid. Kitna, Blake, Maddux, Carter and numerous other QBs are getitng far less and doing even more w/ equal or worse talent around them. So the "talent" excuse is a non-excuse.

We have to quit looking at this in terms of what other teams are doing. Just cut our losses and move on.

To answer the original question, as long as we don't extend Blew beyond next season there's no cap hit at all. NE absorbed the entire hit. If we extend him however, then we'd assume a future cap hit if he is waived prior to his contract ending. I'm sure they'd restructure it somehow tho. But you're right BF, he's not even close to being worth the straight salary let alone assuming more cap risks down the road. We just got out of cap hell, no sense in going back for Blew! That first rounder in exchange was enough of a waste, no need to add insult to injury.

Dozerdog
11-10-2003, 09:13 PM
The same OC who gave the ball to henry to the tune of 1400 yards las tseason but now couldn't find henry if the two were locked in a phone booth? that OC? The OC sending the FB imn Motion instead of keeping him in for protection? That oC?

It shows you that with a running game, Drew can do stuff.

It opens play action- it keeps blitzers honest.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 09:37 PM
2002- 16 games

Henry- 325-1,438, 13 TD's- 43- 309, 1 TD- 368 touches

2003- 7 games(Not counting Miami as a game because he got injured and carried the ball 5 times)

Henry- 170-631, 8 TD's- 16- 101, 1 TD- 176 touches

Can't find Henry? He's getting more carries per game then he did last year. He's on pace for more TD's then he had last season. How exactly are we using Henry any less than last year?

His YPC is down from working off an injury and the lack of threat from our passing game.

BillsFever
11-10-2003, 09:39 PM
The same OC who gave the ball to henry to the tune of 1400 yards las tseason but now couldn't find henry if the two were locked in a phone booth? that OC? The OC sending the FB imn Motion instead of keeping him in for protection? That oC?

It shows you that with a running game, Drew can do stuff.

It opens play action- it keeps blitzers honest.

We have rushed for over 100 yards for 3 straight games and Bledsoe has bombed out in 2 of them. I guess that was the fault from the lack of running game too.