PDA

View Full Version : The kind of coach I want!

Tatonka
11-10-2003, 10:35 PM
i want a coach that can turn chicken **** into chicken salad.

lets talk about that.. what guys are getting production out of little talent?

first guys on the top of my head...

the OC for New England. - how in gods name do they win with NO rb for 3 years???

Brian Billick - this guys teams are competive every year. he used to be considered an offensive mastermind, but i think he is a good leader of men, abeit being a pompus ass.. but i wouldnt mind if he was a pompus ass for the bills. there is a possibility that his job could be gone when modell sells the team and i would expect them to go on a nasty losing streak since boller is out for the season.. redman looks like an elementary school qb... so heads may roll.. you never know.

what other guys can you think of that are overachieving with less talent..

XNOUGHT
11-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Weis and Crennel for my Pats always seem to get the players to overachieve.

We need to make sure they don't end up with the Bills :hammeru: :hammeru: :hammeru:

Tatonka
11-10-2003, 10:45 PM
i would take either one.. that is true.. the OC and DC both have dealt with injuries and (not a knock on your team) less than superstar talent at almost all positions and still win.

TigerJ
11-10-2003, 10:53 PM
We could probably do worse than either of those guys.

venis2k1
11-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Most people want charlie weis, but here is a question, what is his record with drew bledsoe at QB?

Something like 5-13. not a good sign.

Tatonka
11-11-2003, 07:01 AM
i was kind of assuming that drew would not be in the picture and we would save a lot of money

Historian
11-11-2003, 07:23 AM
I'm really tired of this coordinator crap. I want someone with solid credentials.

Tatonka
11-11-2003, 07:39 AM
billsology.. you can be sick of the coordinator crap if you want.. but guess what.. there are NO coaches available that have solid credentials.. unless what you mean by solid credentials is that they have proved over and over that they can not win in the playoffs and superbowl..

so what do you propose about that? i would rather get the next new phenom than a retred old ass head coach that couldnt cut it with another highly talented team.. like green or coughlin.

so who are you suggesting?

if the coach is a winner, they dont get fired... ie, don shula.

Historian
11-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

so what do you propose about that? i would rather get the next new phenom than a retred old ass head coach that couldnt cut it with another highly talented team.. like green or coughlin.

so who are you suggesting?

I'm suggesting ANYONE with experience at running an NFL program. Experienced at handling NFL egos, experienced at making NFL HC decisions. Maybe they weren't successful their first time out, ie, Bill Belicek, Marv Levy, or yes, Tom Coughlin, but the law of averages says they have learned from their mistakes, and with a little bit of Ralph's money, can get the job done here.

Wasn't Williams supposed to be the next phenom?? Sorry, three years later, this team is worse than when he started.

Even Wade Phillips, who was a COMPLETE FLOP in Denver and NO
did better here. Why? Experience. We have the talent. We need someone with experience to pull it all together.

Another reason I like Coughlin, is that he is a local guy, as well as a disciple of Parcells. (Not some idiot who carried a clipboard for Jeff Fisher!)
:D

IHateTheDullphins
11-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Billick would bring some personality and attention to Buffalo.

Mr. Miyagi
11-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Billick would be fine, but Coughlin would bring a whole lot more personality, enthusiasm, and passion to the team.

WG
11-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I want a coach who's gonna "throw some chairs" in the lockerroom and instill some fear into the players that if they don't perform up to snuff then they risk sitting in favor of someone behind them who wants to play w/ more heart.

Levy was good, but lacked what it took to win us the big one. Proof of that lies in the very simple observation of how the Boys came out of the lockerroom at the half of that 13-6 HT score SB, v. how the Bills came out. Anyone having the tape just look at it. Simply the way both teams came out of the lockerroom following the half. Then you'll see why we gave up 24 unanswered in that game.

While JJ was in there tearin' the walls down no doubt. Marv was reading the players Hemmingway or some other poetry!

I want a coach who's visibly upset and very much so after we make stupid TOs, don't convert easy 3rd downs, and other stuff. I want a coach that isn't afraid to challenge the OC b/c he's the GM's good birthday party buddy!

This is more like a Washington, DC politically correct "say the right thing", propaganda machine coaching staff. In fact, the entire organization right now has way too many "marketing" people, starting w/ Donahoe, and not enough good, solid operational people.

Ralph wanted to "fix the team's image", and bring us back to respectability, so he hired Donahoe, a "well respected" GM that was well liked, blah, blah, blah..., and he did what he does. "Markets!" That's what we got. Big "name" players, regardless of whether or not they're on the downside of their careers or not. Top bucks for what either is or will be shortly diminishing play.

Meanwhile, jersey sales and other "PJ" sales go thru the roof, but the entire approah is shortsighted b/c no one thought about winning games, only getting a roster full of name players.

I want a coach that doesn't need a whole slate full of all the latest names for the last ten years to succeed!

We need coaches, but we also need an entire top-down revision of the way we handle this team beginning w/ "Mr. Genius" Donahoe! I'll give him this offseason to begin focusing on the lines, something that should have been done far more than it was since he's been here! Tucker, Teague, Sobieski, Pucillo simply weren't good enough, predictably.

Having said that BTW, Pucillo is improving to the point where I'm seein' some positives. But, being a 7th rounder, we may not know until '05 what his value is and he should have been learning as a backup, not a starter.

Anyhoo..., let's quit w/ the dillydallying through the NFL headlines and start fixing what's really wrong w/ this team and maybe, just maybe, the tickets that we buy at the beginning of the year may in fact be worth more than the cardboard and ink that they're on come week 15.

WG
11-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Billick seems like a decent candidate...

IHateTheDullphins
11-11-2003, 09:51 AM
I thought of the two, Billick has the most personality and passion. Coughlin is kinda bland.

WG
11-11-2003, 10:00 AM
I don't know why everyone likes Coughlin so much. I'm not against him, but what did he ever do for Jax?

Seems like we always jump to conclusions here, just as w/ LeBeau. LeBeau stinks the joint up in Cincy for damn near an entire decade, then we sign him here, and everyone's all excited. Then we are perplexed when they don't add much and the team isn't very good. I just don't get it.

If we want a winning team, then how about getting someone who's been there and can taste it every season instead of some stiff who's been feeding of the bottom like a catfish!

Yet, several here, several very vocal ones here in fact, are ecstatic over LeBeau. Whatever. And we wonder why we aren't good.

Billick is a winner, Coughlin is not! Again, I'm not gonna write the season of if TC becomes our HC, but why not go for the ones with winning experience and SB experience in particular?!?!

I'd also be in favor of taking a good hard look at Cotrell. He was a winner here in Buffalo, is well respected too, and is doing a decent job in NY as the DC there. The Jets have given up only 15 more points that we have and don't have anywhere near the "names" on their D that we do.

I think we should also consider some other Coordinators as well if the right HCs aren't available or don't want to come here.

Someone, several actually, have suggested that TD won't hire someone who's gonna conflict w/ him and his decision making, which would thereby undermine a coach like Billick. If that's true, then I doubt a Billick would want to come here which raises another issue altogether.

That's why TD needs to be on thin ice if it is true. One more draft completely ignoring or even partially ignoring our most ardent needs, coupled w/ no decent coach wanting to come here due to TD and his "decision making" desires, and I say TD needs to go. We'll see tho, hasn't happened yet.

WG
11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
I thought of the two, Billick has the most personality and passion. Coughlin is kinda bland.

OK, but "passion and personality" need to take a back seat to credentials and proven capabilities to turn a team into a winner, right?

I'd rather have a humdrum post game interview coach and one that will make us 13-3 than one like GW and TD who can give an interview but can't seem to figure out which pegs to put into which holes!

The Spaz
11-11-2003, 10:06 AM
I don't want a ****** coach retread. Either get another o or d coordinator or go to college and get my favorite coach Kirk Ferentz from Iowa State.:)

Mr. Miyagi
11-11-2003, 10:06 AM
You all make it sound like GW is already gone. I hope you're right but the possibility remains that TD signs him for another year. Scary huh?

Historian
11-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Marv was reading the players Hemmingway or some other poetry!

Margaux or Marial? :angel2:

Seriously, As to your question about what did he ever do with Jax?

Building a team from scratch, and taking them to the AFC Championship Game gives him a lot of credibility in my eyes, and remember this...

Coughlin is the only Coach to win a playoff game at Rich Stadium. I think that's significant.

WG
11-11-2003, 10:32 AM
One AFC championship game in how many seasons?

What else? How many other seasons did his team challenge for the conference title?

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
You all make it sound like GW is already gone. I hope you're right but the possibility remains that TD signs him for another year. Scary huh?
LOL MM. I hear ya, but there's no way GW stays. My bigger concern, which should be yours and everyone else's too, is whether he, TD, shares the same views we do about Gilbride, his longtime buddy and "drinking partner."

That's what scares me.

Historian
11-11-2003, 10:32 AM
I like Billick too, I just don't think he would come here.

Historian
11-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
One AFC championship game in how many seasons?

What else? How many other seasons did his team challenge for the conference title?

Tha's one more than the coordinators everybody is tossing around.:idunno:

WG
11-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Again ology, you have to consider what Coughlin had to work with;

Look at the talent he had in his 14-2 season. Consider also that his division was weak that year too, and if I'm not mistaken, did his team even beat any teams better than .500 in the regular season? If so, it wasn't more than 1.

The only decent team in his division was Tennessee whom he lost to three times that year. Twice during the season and once in the post season for the conference title. A combined score of 94-47 in those three matchups. They only beat mediocre Miami in the divisional round.

So they were incredibly overrated that year much as Chicago was in '01 due to a cakewalk schedule.

Jax '99 Info (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax1999.htm)

Again, go down and look at the talent they had and then tell me whether you think Coughlin did more w/ less, or less w/ more. I think it was the latter easily. It was like Phil Jackson coaching the Bulls during the Jordan era.

It was very similar although even less impressive in '97 and '98 and he did nothing the rest of the way in the other 5 seasons he was in Jax.

WG
11-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
Tha's one more than the coordinators everybody is tossing around.:idunno:

Maybe, but again, if all we can expect to get is less w/ more, don't we have that now?

As I've said in the past. There are things we know, and things we don't know.

I'll use a very popular analogy that always draws heat.

RJ and Blew were both brought here at similar cost to the team.

W/ RJ, we had an 'unknown quantity.' He didn't work out, but the risk we couldn't have said was a bad one, b/c we, nor anyone else in the league, knew much about RJ and for sure no one knew he got hurt at the frequency that mosquitoes bit in UNY in the summer.

W/ Blew, we had 10 seasons of data to look at both empirically as well as subjectively. I knew exactly what we were getting w/ Blew having studiously watched him very closely for 7 years prior to his coming here. The only difference is that along w/ the rest of the media, we, the fans, mgt., coaches, etc. all chose to ignore much of those things that were obvious to anyone not approaching the analysis w/ a predetermined bias.

Same thing for coaches. Exactly the same in fact. Coughlin is perceived as a coach who did something for the Jags. His "furthest" achievement however, was only a divisional PO win where he had a first round bye tho.

But upon closer review, we see that in that season he beat up a bunch of scrub teams, and lost three times to the only team that was decent on their schedule. So after further review, it stands to reason that any coach could have led the Jags to do that v. the cupcake schedule that they had.

Now, you can give him credit for that, or you can realize that he was a benefactor of cetain circumstances that "assisted him" in achieving those milestones.

That's the problem w/ the ESPN view of the NFL. They rarely, if ever, get into the nits of a season, player, schedule, coach, whatever, and only look at the high level nonsense.

That's why it was so obvious last season that Oakland was gonna get their asses handed to them v. TB in the SB. It was also obvious as to why anyone who had performed a similar analysis w/ the Bears in '01 could see that they would get crushed in the playoffs by a team believed to have been inferior.

We need to look at these things, in fact, Donahoe should be looking at these things but apparently isn't and hasn't.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not strongly against Coughlin, but I certainly think we can do better w/o much effort. :)

caveboy
11-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Jimmy Johnson. Built the Cowboys from nothing, even had to put up with A-hole on the sidelines. He can motivate them. He's got a ring and I'll bet he's getting bored just watching and anaylizing games.

Ok, there may be that little thing with cold winters...

;-]

caveboy
11-11-2003, 11:18 AM
"...but can't seem to figure out which pegs to put into which holes!"

Square pegs in square holes right? Hire me, HIRE ME!!!!

: - p

WG
11-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but do you see TD hiring a guy like JJ?

I don't. If TD told JJ to hire a guy like Gilbride I would love to be a "fly-on-the-wall" during that exchange! ;)

WG
11-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by caveboy
"...but can't seem to figure out which pegs to put into which holes!"

Square pegs in square holes right? Hire me, HIRE ME!!!!

: - p
LOL

Indeed!

caveboy
11-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Yeah, but I think TD would let JJ have more freedom than Jerry Jones did. It's not like JJ also has to go out and find a bunch of new talent on both sides of the ball. He just has to kick what's there in the ass. He's got Willis to work with much like he had Emmitt. Drew needs a little yelling at, and Moulds could be an Irvin-type guy.

We got a speedy D now and some size up the middle. The components are in place. Save money on drafting someone and throw it at Jimmy Johnson. Hell, we threw $25 million at RJ.

"How 'bout dem BILLS!!??!!!!!!"

WG
11-11-2003, 11:36 AM
JJ would insist on cutting Blew, that much I'm confident of.

Is JJ looking to coach again?

caveboy
11-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Not that I heard specifically, but it seems eventually, they all do.
Look at the tuna. Swore he'd never coach again. "Mark it down" he said. Was it the love of the game he was missing that made him come back?

No, his ex-wife's divorce lawyer.

;-0

But I think even if someone like Levy hasn't ruled out a return, then Jimmy's gotta have some interest in a coaching gig at some point.

justasportsfan
11-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by caveboy

But I think even if someone like Levy hasn't ruled out a return, then Jimmy's gotta have some interest in a coaching gig at some point.

The snow would freeze his hair and break. JJ won't want to coach in buffalo.

I say wys should mail his resume' . :D

helmetguy
11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The snow would freeze his hair and break. JJ won't want to coach in buffalo.

I say wys should mail his resume' . :D

The JJ act worked in Dallas because all his BIG personnel moves were made before the current CBA was ratified. When the going got tough (i.e. the "other JJ' called him out) JJ got going. He did squat, really, in Miami. He would do even less here; except get more footage of himself on "Jimmy Cam" for his memoirs.

BTW, Justa. Just because his screen initials are WG, that doesn't mean he'd be the anti-GW. You REALLY think he'd want to expose himself like that? It's one thing to talk and be dead wrong. It's quite another to actually do someting and remove any doubt!

THenPitBull
11-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Coughlin is the only Coach to win a playoff game at Rich Stadium. I think that's significant. [/B][/QUOTE]

very significant

THenPitBull
11-11-2003, 01:54 PM
as for coaches, i like cotrell the most. He's a defensive mastermind and players like him.

Jeff1220
11-11-2003, 02:06 PM
If Billick becomes a possibility, I'm all for it! Being in the Baltimore area, I know quite a bit about him. while his large ego and colorful antics during press conferences would lead you to believe that he's headstrong, he certainly is not!
Billick has worked well in collaboration with Ozzie Newsome - not exactly a lightweight in the personel dept. He has also let go of his ego a bit in how he manages games. Although BB is often considered an offensive genius for his OC work in Minnesota, he didn't let that interfere with his decision to play to the Ravens' strengths - Defense. He did not, as his Minnesota OC credentials would lead you to believe, stick to an all-out aerial attack/high powered offense in Baltimore. He saw that the team could win with a conservative, ball-control offense and a fast, big play defense, so that's how he ran the team. I'm sure he would've been psyched to have that kind of an offense, but he knew what was best for the talent that he had - and it got the team a Lombardi.
I hope Bisciotti cans him. (BTW, if he's fired from Baltimore, it's personal - sort of like the Mariucci thing in San Fran).